T A&M lying in the weeds!!!

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
I don't know about you guys, but I've got a feeling that this little team known as the Texas A&M aggies are going to blow up this weekend!!! Granted it's a huge number to lay, but there's been no talk about this team...nada. The Aggies are a sleeper in my opinion, and their schedule is the biggest reason why. I know the Ragin Cajuns have a nice team this year, but their in the Sun Belt for fooks sake!!! A&M returns a hell of a team this season, and it just might be RC's best. The Aggies are loaded on defense, and very deep. Van Cleave is a nice QB, but the Wreckin Crew defense is going to blow his doors off. This one will be over in the first half, and RC might not even call off the dogs in the 2nd half. UL-Laf did upset them back in 1996 so I expect a solid effort from kick-off till the final gun.

I'd love some other opinions on what I just had to say...so gimme a holler!!!

yak merchant

Forum Member
Nov 13, 2000
Texas
Okay, even though I'm an alum, you won't get homer speak from me. I'm very excited they just axed the Athletic Director (stupid jackass approved orange water coolers) and I'm hoping RC is next. I agree the Aggies are going to be better this year and their defense should be dominating like the Wrecking crews of old, however they are not deep. The talent disparity between first and second string is huge (except Linebacker). On offense they are very thin at OL and have just shifted players around due to Yates breaking his arm. Farris hasn't thrown a real pass in over a week. They are just talking up how he knows the offense and his arm is just sore. I think that's crap, something is a matter with his wing, even been talk of him taking medications and not playing at all. That being said the backup Dustin Long has looked great in practice. I agree I would not be taking the points with ULL no matter what. New coach, new schemes, 1.2 bizzilion decibels at Kyle. Not a good match. But the aggies almost always play down to their competition. So even though RC probably still cries himself to sleep at night over the Cajuns beating him 29-22 in 1996 and would love to pound them. I don't know if they can do it. Offense has been getting used by the defense in scrimages. So if ULL scores no more than 7 points. I say the offense puts up 28. That means only way the Ags cover is with atleast 14 points on defense or special teams. Not out of the question, but I'll look for value elsewhere. But the way the schedule lines up this year, depending on what happens early there are going to be some great betting opportunities with this team and against this team this year.

mr. wizard

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2001
carrollton, texas, us
Totally agree with Merchant. My wife is an Aggie and still has tons of friends in College Station and even the diehard Ags aren't to excited about this season. How can you be when you have Texas and Oklahoma in you division? Farris is hurt, but Slocum
won't admit it.....When was the last time they beat someone by 35? Hell, they could only beat a horrible Notre Dame team by 21 last year. This team will stay in a few games this year because of a solid D, but with Slocum as a coach, the offense will never go anywhere, and neither will A&M. Another 4 season loss and a trip to a worthless bowl.

Mr. Wizard

yak merchant

Forum Member
Nov 13, 2000
Texas
Aggie crystal ball.

Aggie crystal ball.

Start rooting for A&M early because the Schedule lines up real nice if they start off hot and avoid injuries. If they get by Pittsburgh which they should. The Virginia Tech game will be huge. Because if they somehow beat Virginia Tech which they could at home. Their schedule should almost be scripted and from my estimation a gold mine. Then they'll promptly look ahead to Texas Tech and almost lose to La Tech. Then on October 5th they'll be undefeated and playing Texas Tech at home. Recent history of Texas Tech dominating A&M (especially against the spread) and their near loss to La Tech will have the line way to low. And after what happened last year after the game (don't ask), unless Tech is alot better than I think, A&M will do everything in their power to just b-slap Tech. Then a 6-0 Texas A&M team will promptly fall asleep and barely win as huge favorites over Baylor and Kansas (might even lose one of these outright). From there it just get's more interesting. They get a Nebraska team at home, which should be undefeated and probably over-rated not worrying about a team that almost lost to Kansas, Baylor, and La Tech and could be looking ahead to a showdown with an undefeated Texas Team. Then if all goes right the worst 8-0 team in the history of college football will take their giant egos that are looking ahead to a showdown with Oklahoma to Stillwater Oklahoma to lose outright to Oklahoma St. Oh I can smell the money now.

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
Looks like you got this puppy all mapped out. Thanks for the 411 on Farris & their depth. That does put a damper on things. I'll most likely stick to my guns & go with the Aggies, but I'll downgrade the amount I was originally going to put up. I honestly think the defense, and special teams are good for 14-21 points. The Cajuns will be very pass happy, and the Aggie defense will disrupt everything. A&M will get out to a big lead, and hopefully the 2nd & 3rd stringers can hold the cover. I think they can. They should be very motivated after Mcneese St from opening day LY....I hope.

yak merchant

Forum Member
Nov 13, 2000
Texas
I'll be rooting for you. If I wasn't allergic to spreads that large I might be considering it. I agree it will all come down to defensive scores. And with no chance to run the ball, ULL will have to throw almost every play and a with a new system and deafening noise limiting the ability to audible and a good secondary that can allow A&M to blitz like the old days it could get ugly.

mw

Forum Member
Sep 29, 2000
dallas
FWIW, today's paper says Farris may not play. Slocum said if he's not 100%, he's not playing.

Felonious Monk

Site Owner
Forum Member
Oct 26, 2001
Austin, TX
yak's correct, the ags don't have a lot of depth and now Farris may not even play. The Link

I'm actually all over UL-Laff and now that I'm hearing that Jamar Taylor has a pulled groin, the chances of the ags covering 31 is even more in doubt.

Felonious Monk

Site Owner
Forum Member
Oct 26, 2001
Austin, TX
UPDATE: Farris will be the starter per DMN.

I think I like this even better. I'd rather see a banged up Farris instead of a stud backup in Dustin Long.

Bet on MyBookie