Tampa over Philly?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
Philadelphia has not really been tested in the playoffs and even more so, have yet to play a completely healthy, hard working team.

The Flyers got a free pass against New Jersey because without Scott Stevens the Devils never got their trap into effect, and the Flyers were buzzing around Brodeur all series.

As for the series against the Maple Leafs, we all know how careless the Leafs were with the puck. Toronto basically gave the Flyers the last two games of the series just because of such embarassing puck management.

Tampa Bay is a very fast and well coached team. They don't quit at any point during the game, and their incessant forecheck may prove to be too much for the beat up Philly defense. Robert Esche has yet to prove himself in my books. Most of the shots he's faced have been from the outside, and although Tampa Bay does not crash the net a great deal, they will get their chances.

Tampa Bay went 4-0 against PHI this season and that gives you a good idea of how these teams matchup. The layoff should not be a factor, and I like Tampa Bay -147 on the series.

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
Well originally I did like Tampa Bay in this series when I bet them, but they have been completely outplayed in both games 1 & 2.

I was shocked that they managed to pull out game one Philadelphia didn't really play much better in game 2. It was the exact same story. High pressure fore-check, numerous odd man rushes, Tampa scrambling to find it's feet...can Tampa actually turn it around? Am I just being skeptical because I bet on Tampa?

It Philly continues its incessant attack I don't see anyway how Tampa will win this series.

Any opinions?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Gmarco

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2001
Newark, Delaware
Vegas Dave,

I think Philly has played alot harder playoff than Tampa has.

Lets think about it alittle. Tampa plays a terrible 8 seed Islanders and then plays the 7 seed Canadiens

Philly plays defending stanley cup champs (without stevens) but I would have to say they are lot better than the islanders

Then they play the maple leafs, (which I thought were the best team in the east at the end of the season)

The leafs are a tad better than the canadians

So if anything the lightning are not as tested...if anything after philly beat the devils they gained momentum b/c of the monkey they got off their back. Hitchcock has this playing very similar to the Stars from a few years back.

Just my opinion.

:D

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
Buying Philly back at +185.

I think the Flyers will win the game today, and then I'll re-evaluate the situation depending on today's outcome.

If Tampa wins, then a small profit is better than nothing.

I have a good feeling Philly will bring their A-game today, and although I don't want to lay the -160 for today, I'm having a look at Philly -1.5 +180