Team win futures

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Valuist

Forum Member
Aug 21, 2001
Mt. Prospect, IL
Has anyone seen the win futures?? I think the public is going to overbet the Wizards. How many wins will he add on?? Consider this:

1)At Jordan's peak, Roxy Roxborough said MJ was worth 7 pts to the pointspread. Shaq was worth around 6.5. This may surprise many people, but he would be taking away shots from other players.

2)Say you make a Power Rating system based on team point differentials. Since its the NBA and teams play everyone else (although not the same # of times), we will not use strength of schedule. We'll use 90 as avg. If a team outscores their opponent on avg by 3.5 per game, they are a 93.5. If they are outscored by 3.5/game, they are an 86.5

3)How big of a difference is there between a team who's a 93.5 and one who's a 86.5? Teams around a 93.5 are likely to be around the 50 mark in wins; teams around 86.5 are likely to be around 30 wins. At his peak, he could make a difference of 20 wins.

At 38, his peak has passed. He may still be good, but I suspect he might be worth more like 4 pts to the line now. That would be worth around 10 wins. Add this to a team that won 19 games and it still is only 29 games. Being young, the other players could improve also. But 40 wins looks like a very tall order for the Wizards.

Hoops

Forum Member
Aug 10, 1999
Extremely doubtful they can make the playoffs. Probably 40 wins needed to get there, but plenty of other teams are better in the East. Philly, NY, Miami, Orlando, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Toronto, Indiana..I see no reason they all don't return to the playoffs. Celtics will be in the hunt as well, Nets with Kidd are improved as a team...Wiz could still be the last place team in the Atlantic.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Valuist

Forum Member
Aug 21, 2001
Mt. Prospect, IL
Carib posted the Win total O/U for Washington: 40 LOL

If you read the earlier part of this thread, barring a dramatic turnaround of their existing players, this bet has almost no chance of going over.

JT Sneaks

Sneaks
Forum Member
Nov 14, 2000
hoopstown
Valuist,

very Nice post. I agree with Hoops here (and I hope that happens alot this season
biggrin.gif
) Anyone taking a future on the wizards to win anything is getting robbed. The public perception has knocked this number down and there is NO value what so ever. Example: At game day the wizards are 6 to 1 to win the east. 6 to 1! This puts them in the same company with the heat (6 to 1 ) and the magic and milwaukee (both 5 to 1) not a chance...they should be with the pistons and the nets (35 to 1), or even the Cavs (35 to 1) Goose where you at?

I think there is much better value taking a shot at the raptors 7-1, or even the pacers at 18-1. The best bet in this category should be the bucks at 5-1.

Valuist, Look forward to your posts and selections during the season.

JT
cool.gif
Sneaks

Hoops

Forum Member
Aug 10, 1999
Some leans to the O/U wins..just looking over the lines from Carib..

Bucks 50.5 OVER
Magic 51 OVER
Knicks 45.5 UNDER
Heat 49 UNDER
Raptors 49 OVER
Wizards 40 UNDER
Hornets 43.5 OVER
Celtics 34 OVER
Nets 35.5 OVER
Bulls 18.5 OVER

Especially like the 'new' power teams in the East..Bucks, Raptors, Magic..to improve on their previous win totals. Return of Hill, addition of Grant/Ewing for Orlando..Toronto getting Olajuwon and having Williams start at PG for the entire season..and Milwaukee possibly getting Mason, if not, still the best team in the East IMO. And to a lesser extent, I look for Charlotte to add a few more wins and build upon their strong showing the playoffs from last season.

At the same time, expect the Knicks and Heat to fade..Mourning still a question mark to play the entire season and at what level, Jones also has injury questions, and Carter as the starting PG is not an ideal situation. Knicks have no size besides Camby, and he never plays a full season. Too many guards, I'm sure rotation will be questioned by a few players as the season progresses.

As mentioned, Wizards total is ludicrous. High 20's to low 30's would be more appropriate. Celtics played well under O'Brien..continuing maturations of Walker and Pierce means a possible playoff berth IMO. Same goes for NJ..though Marbury was the more talented player, Kidd should bring stability and leadership to the Nets. Kittles has looked good thus far coming back from injuries..as has Martin. Addition and contract of MacCulloch has been scoffed at by many people..not by me..one of the few offensively skilled centers in the league. Good pickup by NJ. And the Bulls added a couple veterans..Oakley, Anthony..also added Eddie Robinson which has been somewhat overlooked. Add Mercer and Brad Miller to the starting lineup, not THAT bad, along with the influx of younger talent. I think they can reach the low-20's in wins.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg