techy advice needed-printer/USB Flash Drive

SoCalYo

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2004
San Diego
I'm getting ready to purchase a new color printer for my daughter and wanted to get some recommendations. I've had really bad luck with EPSON, had two printers replaced already, they were low end printers but the last one only lasted about one week past the warranty. Thinking about going with an HP but I'm hearing there may be some unstability within the company and don't want to get screwed without being able to purchase any cartridges later on or paying too much. Don't want to spend more than $200.00.

Also wanted to purchase a USB flash drive and wanted to see if anyone can recommend one under $100.00. What is the largest sotrage space available for that price.

Thanks

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
i like hp printers. havent heard about the instability, but i would think that printing is so huge for them they wouldn't do anything to ruin what they have going.

i bought a usb flash drive from 'Dazzle' for i think only about $40. only used a few times so far, but it seems to be fine.

bsucards

BSU Cards
Forum Member
Sep 1, 2003
New Palestine Indiana
For under 100 dollars for a flash drive, you should be able to get a 1GB flash drive. I saw a 512 the other day for 44.00 so I would think that would be about right

HP is not going anywhere, they are simply getting out of the consumer computer business I believe, or they sold that part to another company to run it/manage it. I work for a company that uses HP business computers and they are pretty nice compared to the consumer models.

For a printer, since your daughter is going to college, I would suggest looking into a small personal laser printer, if she needs color for a class go to a computer lab. I have had a personal laserjet for about 2 years and never had to replace the toner cartridge. You pay more up front but think about how much those ink cartridges cost each time you replace it.

Look into the HP laserjet 1300 or the Brother Laserjet 14XX series which gets good reviews

chuckdman

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2003
TO
bsucards said:
HP is not going anywhere, they are simply getting out of the consumer computer business I believe, or they sold that part to another company to run it/manage it. I work for a company that uses HP business computers and they are pretty nice compared to the consumer models.

You're talking about IBM!!

chuckdman

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2003
TO
What printer manufacturer is better than HP? NONE...

SoCalYo,
Purchase an HP. If you have a problem you can get my email from Jack and I will take care of you!

KMA

Forum Member
May 25, 2003
HP's printer industry will be around far far longer than their PC manufacturing business, the instability there is over the marginalized profit in making PC's NOT printers!!!

Any of the lexar devices are cheap enough, over the counter at Office Max or even at Wal Mart. 512mb cost approx $30.00 after rebate at Office Max.

As for the USB flash drive (assuming you are talking about the "thumb" drives you can get for your keychain, 100 bucks should be able to get you about a gig now. I saw one the other day at Office Max:

http://www.officemax.com/max/soluti...xpansionOID=-536879914&prodBlockOID=537336016

SoCalYo

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2004
San Diego
thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate it, going out today to pick up an hp printer.

found a 1GB lexar flash drive for $74.00

Thanks for the help. :thumb:

Bet on MyBookie