Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
http://fftoday.com/articles/billanderson/15_10_players_kill_draft.html

Ten Players That Will Kill Your Draft

5. QB Peyton Manning
(ADP 4.04)

I hate drafting a quarterback in the first five rounds of standard drafts this season. Worse, I hate drafting 39-year-old quarterbacks that have lost weapons and have a new offensive coordinator and will most likely pass less and hand off more. I get the infatuation with Peyton, he?s an all-time great, still has above-average receivers, and is just two years removed from almost single-handedly winning many fantasy leagues with his ridiculous 5477-55 stat line. At this point though we have to face reality. His best days are behind him and his upside is shrinking slowly but surely. While I have no doubt Manning will finish among the top 10 at the position (barring injury), he is a mid-to-lower end QB1 than the third-best fantasy QB this year. Now, if he is the third QB taken in the 6th round of your draft, that is a different story. But, in the 4th round you are passing on too much talent at other positions that you simply cannot make up for later in the draft. Elite RB2?s and WR2?s and available in Round 4 and there is a significant drop-off in both positions after this important round. I?d much rather wait a full round for Russell Wilson or Ben Roethlisberger, or two-plus rounds later and take Matt Ryan or Tony Romo. For comparison sake, you could take Manning in the 4th and DeSean Jackson in the 6th or take Matt Ryan in the 6th and Andre Johnson in the 4th. I think the Ryan/Johnson combo wins every time, in pretty much any league format.