Texas Pitcher Info

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

cisco

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 1, 2000
usa/mexico
Seems like I always get burnt playing games like this, most recently Atlanta with Glavine vs some clown named Torres with Pittsburg. This guy was down in the minors for five years and then comes up and pitches like freekin' Cy Young. Pittsburg won 3-0.

For what it's worth friend.

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Season Totals - Minors
Club Class GS IP W L SV ERA WHP R ER H BB K CG SO
Tulsa (TEX) AA 8 52.0 4 2 0 1.90 0.96 12 11 28 22 41 0 0
Charlotte (FSL) A 12 79.0 4 4 0 2.05 1.11 31 18 63 25 76 0 0
Myrtle Beach (CARO) A 1 4.0 0 1 0 4.50 1.75 5 2 4 3 3 0

hard throwing lefty, who just finished up 17 innings or so of no hit ball in AA playoffs for tulsa...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Rangers Notes

SEATTLE - Reserve catcher Bill Haselman has left the team for two days because of personal reasons. Ivan Rodriguez is getting a day off today.

Manager Jerry Narron is planning on using Todd Greene as catcher tonight for Ben Kozlowski's first major-league start.

"It's a compliment," Greene said. "I'll take any start I can get. He just needs to throw strikes. That's the key for everybody, throw strikes and play good defense behind him."

Kozlowski takes a 17-inning hitless streak into tonight's start. He did not allow a hit in 14 innings in two starts against San Antonio in the Texas League finals. Overall he was 2-0 with a 0.86 earned-run average in three playoff starts for the Drillers.

"We'd love to see him throw strikes and pound the strike zone," Rangers manager Jerry Narron said. "I'm sure he'll be nervous. He may not admit it but if he's not nervous then there's something wrong with him. I still believe this is a huge learning game and I believe this game will help him down the road."

Terryray

Say Parlay
Forum Member
Good stuff! Here's more...

Good stuff! Here's more...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Mon, Sep. 16, 2002

Rangers Notes

Tulsa pitcher might start

T.R. Sullivan
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

ANAHEIM - Dennys Reyes is scheduled for two more starts this season. The Rangers are debating the merits of giving them to left-handed pitcher Ben Kozlowski, who has been terrific this season for the Tulsa Drillers.

"It's been [discussed]," Rangers assistant general manager Grady Fuson said.

Kozlowski pitched the Drillers into the seventh game of the Texas League playoffs Sunday night with seven no-hit innings in a 4-3 victory over San Antonio in Game 6 Saturday. Tulsa won Game 7, 4-1.

Kozlowski, 22, is 2-0 with an 0.86 earned-run average in the playoffs, having allowed three runs in 21 innings. Kozlowski did not allow a hit in his last 17 innings.

Kozlowski, after being acquired from the Braves in April, started the season at Class-A Port Charlotte and was 4-4 with a 2.05 ERA. Promoted to Double-A Tulsa, he went 4-2 with a 1.90 ERA during the regular season.

"He's the real deal," Fuson said. "His fastball is 89 to 93 [mph]; he has a solid breaking ball, a solid changeup. His makeup is a plus, so there are no issues there. Add everything up; he's had a very dominating year."

The argument against pitching Kozlowski in Reyes' spot is that would be a huge jump for a pitcher who started the season in Class A. That's why the Rangers think he might need more time in the minor leagues next season before coming to the majors.

"In a perfect world, Kozlowski would not break camp with the Rangers next year," Fuson said. "That's in a perfect world. The main thing is to stay on course and not rush him. When you leave the course and try to get ahead of yourself, that's when you have a good chance of having something break down."

cow-wash.jpg

You do actually see this in TEXAS!

Posted on Tue, Sep. 17, 2002

Rangers lose in 11th, 6-5

T.R. Sullivan
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SEATTLE - The Rangers go into the final two weeks of the season with three top pitching prospects in their starting rotation.

The thought of that had manager Jerry Narron unusually excited Monday afternoon after the Rangers announced they had called up left-handed pitcher Ben Kozlowski from Double-A Tulsa.

He replaces Dennys Reyes in the rotation and pitches Thursday against the Seattle Mariners. He joins right-handers Colby Lewis and Joaquin Benoit; they are three rookies the Rangers hope will form the long-term core of their rotation.

"It's huge for us," Narron said. "Are all three going to step up and be big-time starters? That's asking a lot. But out of those three, there's no reason why one or two of those can't do well."

Lewis, another September call-up, made his second start against the Seattle Mariners on Monday night.

Lewis gave up three runs in the first inning and four overall in five innings of work. He allowed seven hits and five walks while striking out five and left the game with his team trailing 4-3.

The Rangers trailed 5-3 going into the ninth, but rallied for two runs against Mariners reliever Kazuhiro Sasaki. Todd Greene scored one run with a double and Hank Blalock brought in the tying run with a sacrifice fly.

The score remained tied until the bottom of the 11th inning, when Rangers reliever Rich Rodriguez walked Ichiro Suzuki on four pitches with the bases loaded and two outs, giving the Mariners a 6-5 victory.

Benoit, who is 3-4 with a 5.11 earned-run average, starts Wednesday against the Mariners. Kozlowski follows him Thursday and will likely get a second start sometime on the next homestand.

"I'm just anxious to get out there, no matter who the team is," Kozlowski said. "I just want to be on the mound. I'm trying to keep everything in perspective. I think this is just a reward for the kind of season I've had. I'm just trying not to be overwhelmed by the opportunity."

Kozlowski has been terrific since being acquired from the Atlanta Braves on April 9 for left-handed pitcher Andy Pratt. He started the season at Class-A Port Charlotte and went 4-4 with a 2.05 ERA. Called up to Double-A Tulsa on July 18, he was 4-2 with a 1.90 ERA in eight regular-season starts.

He was even better in the playoffs, going 2-0 with an 0.86 ERA in three starts. He did not allow a hit in his last 17 innings. He made two starts against San Antonio in the Texas League championship series, pitching seven innings both times and not allowing a hit.

As impressive as he has been, the Rangers still think Kozlowski could use more time in Triple A next season before coming to the major leagues for good.

"I'm going to go out there and show them what I can do," Kozlowski said. "Do the best I can and put it in their ballpark as far as making that decision. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, without a doubt."

But Narron said, "No matter what happens in one start, it can't ... do anything but help him in the future. This gives him an opportunity to see what baseball is like at this level and see what the hitters are like. When he comes back in the future, I don't know if he'll even have any jitters, but the first-time jitters should be gone. It won't be like he's never been here before."

Narron said another benefit of having Kozlowski make two starts is the example it sets for other young players in the minors.

"They see this guy doing well and getting rewarded, they realize the same thing can happen to them," Narron said. "They know they're not going to get buried. They'll get an opportunity to perform if they go about their business in the right way."

Kozlowski is still expected to pitch in the Arizona Fall League. He was supposed to report Sept. 25, but that's likely to be delayed.

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
home from lunch, i put some notes in a thread, guy throws low 90s, good stuff and tall (6'6'') like i said not overpowering but enough pop to keep ya honest at the plate. but that was with dub a hitters. will be interested to see his debut...have a good one fellas

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg