Texas Tech--New Mexico

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

PARROTTHEAD

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2002
Margaritaville
What is the weather situation???

I want to say the under looks very tempting, but an average of 62 points over the last five years scares me.

Who has NM played this year???

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
They played.
N Carl St
Weber St
Air force
Baylor
N Mex St

JOSHNAUDI

That Guy
Forum Member
Dec 12, 2000
Seguin, TX
www.schwartz-associates.com
I know NM beat Baylor two weeks ago 23-0 last week. I already tossed the paper out but I think they said they kept Baylor to 107 yds total offense. (confirmed)

Credit Yahoo
New Mexico is avg 24 points a game this year
avg 320 yds a game
160 in the air and 160 on the ground
AVG YDS/PLAY 4.8
AVG YDS/RUSH 4.5
AVG YDS/PASS 5.5

New Mexico's schedule - credit yahoo

Sat, Aug 24 at No Carolina St L 14-34
Sat, Aug 31 Weber St W 38-24
Sat, Sep 7 at Air Force L 31-38
Sat, Sep 14 Baylor W 23-0
Sat, Sep 21 at New Mexico St L 13-24

It all depends on how my Red Raiders bounce back. I was thinking that if they had beat NC State last week I'd be on NM this week. and if they were blown out last week I'd be on the Red Raiders. I don't know what to think after a 3 point overtime loss.

Not that I know all that much about Cinci - Temple, I have put the Bearcats in the same boat as the Raiders and might make a play for-agnst based on Tech's play tonight.

Good Luck

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Texas Tech vs. New Mexico (Game Facts)

Coverage

Radio: KKAM (AM 1340), 4 p.m. Coverage on other network stations, 5:15 p.m.

Television: 6 p.m., ESPN2 (Cox Cable channel 30).

Tickets

About 27,500 had been sold by mid-afternoon Friday. University Stadium capacity is 37,370.

Records

Texas Tech 2-2, New Mexico 2-3.

Series

Texas Tech leads 30-5-2 and has won eight in a row. UNM's last victory 29-24 in the 1984 game at Albuquerque.

Injuries

Texas Tech, DT Clayton Harmon (back), LB Marquis Turner (ankle) are out; RB Foy Munlin (quadriceps) is questionable; C Toby Cecil (shoulder) is probable. New Mexico, RB Quincy Wright (knee), TE Mike Augustyniak (knee) are out; K Wes Zunker (quadriceps) is questionable.

Fast facts

After breaking each respective record in the last two weeks, Tech QB Kliff Kingsbury now can only add to his Big 12 school records in total offense (8,579), touchdown passes (61) and passing yards (8,665). ... Tech defensive end Aaron Hunt has not had a sack since the season opener against Ohio State. He owns the school career sack record with 26. He needs four more to break Kansas State ex Darren Howard's Big 12 record of 29.5. ... UNM punt returner Dwight Counter would lead the nation in punt returns with a 34-yard average but is one short of the NCAA minimum six (1.2 per game). ...Tech head coach Mike Leach is 9-2 in non-conference games at Tech.

Forecast

Clear to partly cloudy. Temperature 85 degrees at kickoff. West winds 10 to 20 mph, diminishing around sunset. No precipitation expected.

Next for Tech

The Raiders play Oct. 5 at Texas A&M. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
One-two Lobos punch becomes focal point vs. Tech

By BRENT SCHROTENBOER
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

Life without Quincy Wright has reached the point of no return this month in central New Mexico.

Instead of building its attack around Wright, formerly one of the nation's top three leading rushers, the New Mexico football team has been forced to seek another less proven one-two punch in the Lobos backfield.

One part is a first-down passing game, believe it or not. The other is Roswell product DonTrell Moore, who was lightly recruited by Texas Tech two years ago. Moore, a redshirt freshman, has stepped in for Wright, who suffered a season-ending knee injury against Baylor Sept. 14. At the time of his injury, Wright had gained 510 yards in four games and was ranked third in the nation in rushing.

"Of course, it was a travesty," Lobos tight end Bryan Penley said. "Now we've got to keep pushing forward. I think we can be just as good an offense with DonTrell. We've just got to find it."

New Mexico head coach Rocky Long is trying to find it by changing the offense to a small extent, including more passes than usual, especially first down, when the Lobos threw it about half the time last week in 24-13 loss at New Mexico State.

Moore made his first career start in that game and gained 79 yards on 20 carries but couldn't spark an offense that gained just 108 yards rushing. Junior quarterback Casey Kelly shouldered the load with 207 yards passing on 18 completions in 32 attempts.

By halftime, it became clear they missed Wright, who gained 265 yards Aug. 31 against Weber State. Either Moore or Kelly rushed or threw the ball on all but three of New Mexico's 64 plays.

"(Wright's injury) was a huge deal," said Moore, a former Parade All-American. "He had been around for four years. He did unbelievable things and was a great asset to our offense. Any time you lose something like that, it shakes you up a little. But we can't let Quincy's loss be a big loss to our offense. We'll try to weather the storm."

Moore and Kelly have been entrusted to weather most of it on their own in the Lobos' balanced run-pass offense. New Mexico has run the ball 55 percent of the time this season and often uses double tight-end sets to fuel its running game. A counter and perimeter option game is part of the mix and is likely to be centered around Moore, who is described by Long as a "darter, a stop-and-starter."

All of it is run behind an offensive line that returns just two starters from last year's 6-5 team, the lightest of whom is 280 pounds. The line is described as the Lobos' best unit by Tech defensive coordinator Greg McMackin.

"Their mentality is to run the football," McMackin said. "They have a play-action pass and bootleg. They try to get you playing the run hard, then throw the bootleg and play-action pass."

McMackin's unit will see it firsthand tonight after ranking 103rd nationally in run defense for its first four games. Moore will make his second straight start against McMackin's Red Raider defense but isn't likely to go nuts tonight, Long said.

Unlike last week, Long wants to give him a breather at times and get a look at other running backs, possibly 5-foot-6 redshirt freshman Tony Frazier, Moore's backup.

Don't be fooled by it, though. Moore and Kelly are still expected to be New Mexico's horses most of the night on offense.

"The run is the stable part of our offense; that's what we try to branch off of," Kelly said. "We were doing pretty well. Then Quincy got hurt and now we're trying to adapt to new running backs. We're just trying to get on track."

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Power running game grows on Red Raiders

Strangely but truly, pass-happy Texas Tech is really starting to like this new power running game thing.

Believe it at your own risk: The Red Raiders are using two tight ends. They're running the ball. They're charging forward.

After sparse use of a double tight-end set the last two seasons, that's the popular new run wrinkle right now for Tech's pass-based offense. The Raiders (2-2) are using the formation more often to take advantage of the best double tight-end personnel Tech has seen in at least three years.

Tight ends Clay McGuire and Preston Hartfield provided the bookend blocking that helped the Raiders gain 207 rushing yards last week in a 51-48 loss against Mississippi. The total was the highest rushing amount in the three-year tenure of head coach Mike Leach.

"The biggest reason why we're running it now more than we did before is we've got two guys that are pretty good at it," Leach said. "It's something we wanted to do from the beginning, but we didn't have the guys that really gravitated toward that type of thing."

McGuire and Hartfield have become so good at it, in fact, that plays are being changed by the quarterback to take advantage of it. Instead of changing to a different passing play, like he did before, Kliff Kingsbury is changing to a running game that's finally proven itself trustworthy. Running back Taurean Henderson estimates Kingsbury is checking off to a running play two or three times per series now that Tech has demonstrated its strength with two tight ends. Previously, Henderson said Kingsbury did it once or none per series.

"In the past, it was always checking to another pass play," said Henderson, who gained 141 yards last week. "Now you know, I guess we're seeing we're capable of running the ball, so we're checking to the run a lot more."

Part of the equation also involves Leach's mantra to "take what the defense gives you." In the N.C. State game, for example, the Wolfpack dared the Raiders to run it against them. N.C. State used man-to-man coverage in the secondary and played it light up front. Taking full advantage of it, Tech responded with two tight ends and a running game.

By the end of the day, Leach even said he wished he would have thrown the ball more on Tech's last fourth-quarter series. It might have been a career first for Tech's head coach. Leach said he didn't throw the ball enough? You've got to be kidding.

"It was a situation where it was there for us," Tech running backs coach Art Briles said. "Kliff did a good job of checking, and the line did a good job blocking."

The double-tight wrinkle is expected to come in handy again tonight against New Mexico. The Lobos, which rank 69th nationally in run defense, like to blitz a lot and are only so-so against the run. The scary part from New Mexico's standpoint is that Henderson, McGuire and Hartfield are probably just as threatening as receivers.

"It's featuring something they do well," Leach said. "What can your guys do? Well, they're really good at blocking, and they're really good inside. They help the run game, but they can also catch the ball really well, and it stretches the defense out."

Tonight should be prove to be another case example. Look for McGuire and Hartfield to pick up the blitz and catch the occasional key pass. Tech 33, New Mexico 17.

? Nebraska at Iowa State: Iowa State quarterback Seneca Wallace has the ability to turn the Blackshirts (Nebraska's defense) into Pinkshirts, just like Penn State did two week ago in a 40-7 Nebraska loss. Iowa State 27, Nebraska 20.

? Texas at Tulane: Mack Brown sure likes to schedule games against teams he used to coach. Two weeks ago, it was North Carolina. Now it's Tulane. Same result. Texas 45, Tulane 6.

? South Florida at Oklahoma: OU coach Bob Stoops and South Florida coach Jim Leavitt once served as co-defensive coordinators at Kansas State. The commonalities in talent between the two teams end there. OU 52, South Florida 7.

? Kansas at Tulsa: This might be the closest game of the day in the Big 12. Even Baylor has beaten Tulsa, though. Kansas 30, Tulsa 18.

Last week: 2-3.

Season: 16-8.

When TEXAS Tech has the ball

Left tackle Daniel Loper vs. right defensive end D.J. Renteria: This is a good battle of emerging young players.

Renteria, a former high school standout at Roswell, is regarded as the best athlete on the Lobos' defensive line, and it shows. He already has recovered four fumbles, and five of his 14 tackles have been behind the line of scrimmage.

This is his first year to start full-time. He had a sack and a tackle for loss in last year's 42-30 defeat to Tech.

Loper continues to develop into a top pass protector for Kliff Kingsbury. He's a regular contender for the Bone award, the weekly team honor accorded the lineman who has the best game each week.

Split end Anton Paige vs. cornerbacks David Crockett and Corey Brown: Paige is making up for lost time with 22 catches, 248 yards and two TDs. He already has more yardage than he did in his disappointing junior year and needs only one catch to equal his 2001 total, when he played in 10 games.

Paige is coming off consecutive seven-catch performances against Ole Miss and N.C. State. In addition, he's drawn three pass interference penalties the pass two weeks. All three came on fourth-quarter drives for TDs.

Crockett is UNM's best CB, an aggressive player with a 38-inch vertical jump and 14 starts in 16 games. Brown, a new JUCO transfer, just cracked the lineup in game three.

Running back Taurean Henderson vs. rush defense: Henderson will try to build on last week's breakout game when he ran for 141 yards and two TDs. Tech's 207 yards rushing against N.C. State was a high water in the Mike Leach era.

Aside from the line, Henderson picked up additional key blocking from TE Preston Hartfield and TE-FB Clay McGuire. It worked so well that Tech handed Henderson the ball 10 times for 78 yards in the fourth quarter and overtime.

The Lobos will chase him with an undersized defense based on speed. Five of the defensive starters are 200 pounds or less. Senior MLB Charles Moss from Dallas (team-high 48 tackles) is the bell cow of the defense.

When NEW MEXICO has the ball

Quarterback Casey Kelly vs. pass defense: Kelly was a 32nd-round draft choice of baseball's Colorado Rockies three years ago who walked on and made good in football. The team is 7-5 since he took over as a starter in week five last year ago.

Kelly has 768 yards and three TDs on 82-of-142 passing, and he has some mobility (three rushing TDs). His 57 percent completion rate should be better. UNM receivers have dropped 12 to 14 passes the past two weeks, coach Rocky Long asserts.

Tech coaches say Kelly is the best passer they've seen on a UNM team the past three years.

Tech needs to get DE Aaron Hunt going. He has one sack in September for the second year in a row.

Tailback DonTrell Moore vs. rush defense: Moore was thrust into a difficult situation two weeks ago when senior TB Quincy Wright (496 yards, 4 TDs) was lost for the season with a knee injury. Wright made big plays and entered game four as the nation's third-leading rusher.

The Lobos still prefer a power running approach, although they don't do it as easily as they did in the recent past. Their FB the past two years, Jarrod Baxter, now starts for the NFL's Houston Texans. Now UNM uses one-back sets a lot and sometimes puts the TE in the backfield.

The 150 yards and five TDs that T.A. McLendon hung on Tech last week was the latest wound for a unit that ranks 105th nationally in rush defense.

Offensive line vs. front four: Tech defensive coordinator Greg McMackin thinks the offensive line is the best unit on the Lobos' offense. C Justin Colburn, OGs Claude Terrell and Calvin McDonald and OT Jason Lenzmeier all have been credited with between 40 and 48 knockdown blocks. They take a zone-blocking approach and move well.

The Lobos use a lot of counter-action running plays to set up bootlegs and play-action passes.

Tech needs the front four to keep the blockers off MLB Lawrence Flugence (75 tackles) and OLBs Mike Smith (35 tackles) and Jason Wesley (new starter). DE Adell Duckett was brilliant two weeks ago, quiet last week.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

PARROTTHEAD

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2002
Margaritaville
CAN THEY SCORE 56

CAN THEY SCORE 56

Right now I am leaning towards the under, but I need someone to tell me this the right decision.

Would like to recover form last night, so I can have a good week-end.

Any thoughts??????:shrug:

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
With good weather and each team able to put up over 24 I would becareful and maybe wait till Saturday.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Felonious Monk

Site Owner
Forum Member
Oct 26, 2001
Austin, TX
I agree with djv.

This is a night game with great weather. I think if it was a day game, there would be more fatigue from the players and less production from the offenses. I like the over in this one as Tech can score quickly and they take a lot of chances on 4th downs and ST play (fake punts, onside kicks).

I was leaning towards Tech but i think I like the over better.

THE HITMAN

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2001
HOLLYWOOD, FL
Joshnaudi........please pardon my intrusion, but I think DJV knows the game is tonite............what I think he was advising you to do was pass tonite & find a better play on Sat. GL & Hit One Tonite Or Sat. THE HITMAN

Roger

Forum Member
Oct 12, 1999
AUSTIN
whuz up trav? tell kev I said hello...

I think the raiders get a lot of pts. tonight...high octane offense against an avg. lobo defense...should see alot of pts...56 is not unreachable in this game!

gl!

need to hook up soon!

sexybikini.jpg

:eek:

:D

PARROTTHEAD

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2002
Margaritaville
Found this on the internet.

Found this on the internet.

Texas Tech has cover 7 of last 10 as a road favorite the last five years. New Mexico has cashed 9 of 12 in albuquerque and 23 of 36 as home dogs.

Just some info I found surfing............for what is worth.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg