Texas v. Rice

formertexan

Forum Member
Jul 20, 2003
Wanted y'alls opinion on

Texas -30 at Rice

I know everyone has been harping on the dysfunction down there in Austin, but to me this looks like a game where Mack will look to pummel Rice and play his starters and 2nd string for the entire game. I just don't see a chance for a backdoor cover if Texas pulls way ahead.

My rationale is:
1: Mack looks to run up the score to satisfy angry Tex fans
2: Vince Young goes in if the game is out of hand but runs the typical offense
3: Reliant Stadium is essentially a home game for Texas
4: Rice doesn't pass... how will they score, because if Texas stops the option God knows Rice can't throw.

I've seen little posted about the game and I got a lot of $$$ riding on Texas so I was just wondering what you all think.

I've seen expert predictions online favoring Texas by as much as 50.

This just seems like more people would be on the Texas bandwagon... However few people outside of experts online are saying much about the game either way.

Skins

Post review
Jun 4, 2003
Hey -

I went to Rice so Ive seen many of their games and also went to the game back in 92 (?) when Rice beat UT. Rice has nothing to lose....They will lose the game but it could be closer than the spread. Two things to consider...One, Hatfield knows how to manage a game and ball control by eating away at the clock with his wishbone running attack....and we saw last week that UT does not have a good run defense.

Second and more importantly, Rice is a great dog to bet. Someone else can look it up but I think they have covered like the last 15 times they have been a dog. Something to consider. Probably a no play for me ...at least until the second half to see how things are shaping up....

Good luck!

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
ft, the logic in your write up sounds good, but I have always had a hard time laying money down on those bearded clams from Austin. They may just roll over now that their NC hopes are trashed.

UT-Longhorn

U.T. Texas Ex
Forum Member
Jul 13, 2002
Texas
CWood97 said:
ft, the logic in your write up sounds good, but I have always had a hard time laying money down on those bearded clams from Austin. They may just roll over now that their NC hopes are trashed.

Bearded Clams.........:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mack Brown===>>:moon:

Hornsfan

Forum Member
Jan 17, 2002
Skins- Actually Rice has covered their last one in a row. They got pounded by Houston 48-14 this year as a dog.

I am laying the wood. Texas has some real work to do before conference play begins. They will play the starters for almost all of the game. Further, they will run their offense when they bring Vincent into the game to get him some experience and see what he can do.

Finally, Texas can stop teams from running right at them. They are very vulnerable to draws, misdirections and reverses especially out of spread formations like OU and what Arkansas did. I think the Horns will stuff the dive plays which makes the option difficult against the speed of Texas.

I seldom lay it with the Horns on the road, but this week I will be on them.

longhorn102

Forum Member
Sep 2, 2003
Houston
Horns easy

Horns easy

I don't post much because I only post when I really have a good grasp of a game. In fact, my only other post this year was Michigan/Houston, as I knew Michigan would romp. I know that I am a Horn, but hear me out. Texas is vulnerable when teams line up up and smash them in the mouth. Rice can't do that with the option. Way too much speed on Texas defense for Owls to routinely turn the corners. Word out of Austin is team has refocused their efforts in order to save season, and with very few distractions this week (players not talking to media), I really think you get a strong effort here. It will be a 75 percent Texas crowd and Reliant is extremely loud when the fans get into it. Add in this is V Young's homecoming and he will surely want to impress his boys on his home turf in the second half. And who is going to guard Roy Williams? No way Owls can rebound when they fall behind, passing game is non existent. Believe me, if U of H Coogs can rout Rice, Texas surely can and will. Mack Brown will pour it on to ease Alumni frustration. Ced Benson will have plenty of holes to hit against weak Owl def. front and when that happens you know the passing game is money. This one is over early, and with limitations on travel squad, backups not much more that 2 deep, which is still way better than Owl starters. I'll take my chaces with Texas -28.

Bet on MyBookie