The 3-0, 90ppg trend or rule??

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

willypower

Forum Member
Aug 26, 2001
waterloo, ontario
someone posted last week this 3-0 and 90ppg rule. When a team is 3-0 and have scored 90 points or more in those 3 games betting against them is like a million and 0. Any insight from anyone on this?? From this past week New England, New Orleans, and Miami all qualified as 3-0 and 90. Guess what?? 3-0 ats following the trend. THis coming week Oakland falls into this. Do you bet against Oakland?? Man that will be hard.

Thoughts please

Paydirt

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Maryland
I read about this trend about eight years ago in a book of trends that was written by Wayne Root. I used the trend successfully for several years until the the Minnesota Vikings and St Louis Rams destroyed all possible scoring expectations in the late 90's.
I even tried modifying it to 100 points over three games and those teams still hurt this trend so I gave up on it. With the way teams are scoring this year I wouldn't be all to comfortable using this trend as the only reason to play a game.
That being said the basis behind the trend is that in a league full of professionals it is unlikely that one team can play at such an elevated level for so long and are thus due for a letdown. You can also look at it from a defensive standpoint. If a defense allows less then 14 points a game over a three game strech then that might consitute a possible play against their next outing. This becomes even stronger if the last game the defense posts a shutout. Hope this helps. What does everybody else think???

edludes

Forum Member
Oct 25, 2001
alaska
An old favorite of mine.As I understand it,the play is to go against and play the under.This would have hit 4 out of six on the three games this weekend if you played all three against and under.It is something to strongly consider,along with other handicapping factors,but not something to play blindly.Pre Rams and that one or two years for Minnesota it worked pretty well.The theory is that all the little things that went right offensively,seemimgly subtle things will go wrong all at once or one after the other in the fourth game.Also the mental preparedness that goes into a 30 plus point scoring effort (not just film study but getting emotionally psyched for the game) CANNOT happen every game.Its human nature and a very big part of what happened in last nights Denver/Baltimore game.(One team wanted desperately to show that they were better than their dismal record on a Monday night in front of a national audience.The other had given the #1 effort in game one vs the Rams,and again in game#2 vs the 49ers.They did just enough to beat the Bills at home last week.They're looking at the schedule and film and seeing winless,hapless Baltimore is next followed by the undefeated Chargers.Which game do you think Denver gets truely jacked up for?)In the 30-30- 30 rule the percentages catch up to the offense,things go wrong that didn't in the previous three weeks.I feel its a reflection of the lack of mental preparedness(overconfidence leading to not paying attention all week in practice and not getting sky-high for the game.)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg