The Club for Standard Deviants

slim pickins

Forum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Wayne Root - Standard Deviant!

Wayne Root owns a Las Vegas-based company called Global Sports & Entertainment that recently became the first sports selection service to become publicly traded.

In a recent news release, it touted Root's second-consecutive year with the best winning percentage with those on a 900 line as tracked by The Oklahoma Sports Monitor (www.thesportsmonitor.com) in handicapping either college or pro football. Handicappers pay a fee to The Sports Monitor, then turn in their selections each week, with the company tracking their records. The Sports Monitor posts the top records for free on the Internet, but someone looking for the entire list must subscribe and pay an annual fee.

Root's Chairman's Club had the best winning percentage of the 900 lines monitored by The Sports Monitor during 2001 NFL regular season games. He was 21-11, hitting 65.6 percent.

But Root's performance in the 2001 NFL season was not 65.6 percent. He had four other services customers could use, The Millionaire's Club, The Founder's Club, The Fortune 5000 Club and the Board of Directors Club, and was far less successful overall than he was in the Chairman's Club.

Root's overall record as documented by The Sports Monitor for 2001 NFL games was 50-42. A bettor who wagered $110 to win $100, which is an average bet for a typical local sports bettor, would have won $380. That, however, was before factoring in the cost of buying Root's picks.

It can't accurately be gauged how much the picks would have cost because some come in small groups and others are single selections. Since Root charges $100 for calls to The Millionaire's Club and The Founder's Club and $50 for calls to The Chairman's Club, it would cost at least $8,000 to have bought all of the picks Root made.

Root doesn't dispute his record, but says his customers typically bet far more than $110 per wager. In football, the house odds are 11-10, so bettors have to put up $11 for every $10 they want to win. Root said the majority of his customers wager between $1,000 and $3,000 a game and about 25 percent wager $5,000 or more.

At the winning percentage Root had this year and the prices he charges, a bettor would need to have bet about $5,000 a game to break even. Root, though, makes no apologies and insists his advertising was not deceitful.

slim pickins

Forum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Welcome to the Unlucky Bastard Club

I hope Nolan doesn't mind that I've pasted the above piece he had archived on the Powers of Club Membership.

Highlighted is a paragraph I found amusing. From what I can gather, the only club that made money for his deluded clients is the Chairman's Club. If you subtract his Chariman's Club record from his overall documented club record, you get what I call his highly prized Unlucky Bastard Club. This "Member's Only" club costs twice the admission of the lowly Chairman's Club (but I believe they all get a complimentary tube of Anal Ease).

Misc. Club Record 50-42

Chairman's Club 21-11

Unlucky Bastard Club 29-31

All farce aside, the point these esteemed (yet thoroughly reamed) club members eventually catch onto is, the more clubs a scam-di-capper has, the longer he can smile and say "Damn, I'm Good". Due to the powers (sha-zaaam) of Standard Deviation, one of his many clubs will likely have an amazing record.

Wayne might have to grit his teeth a bit, for I'm sure he would rather have one of his high roller clubs in the black. But who knows, this might be the lucky season it actually does.

I think he should name one of his clubs "Don't Know Chit from Shinola" (he would already have a web page for it http://www.pottymouth.org/humor/shinola.html). Honesty is generally the best policy and better than even odds it would have the best record. This would translate into a larger membership and he might only need to charge
25 bucks a pop.

slim pickins

Forum Member
Apr 2, 2002
waroot.gif

Damn, I'm Good!

Wayne Allen Root has cornered the market on failure and rejection. This Armani clad corporate guru proudly calls himself "The World's Most Successful Failure!"

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
These handicappers are like poiticians,they twist things in their favor.I guess that is the American way.

Bet on MyBookie