The Great Jerry West

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
just wondering
How many of you got to see him play live or on Tv.
I had the pleasure to see him live.
So great.

LordofBalls

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2006
California
I was fortunate enough to see Jerry live a couple of times, and on tv as often as I could.. they didn't show every game bk in those days, but when they did I usually got to watch it. He was my idol and just the best!

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
Probably the greatest shooter ever in the NBA Imagine him shooting a 3 pt shot He would break records I watched a video of him and he explained his jump shot . He had such a high arc and quick release His brother would make him shoot over a broom so his release was high. He learned his jumper shooting over a broom
I had NYC black kids on my team Very few pure jump shooters So teams I played would pack a zone in tight and force me to take open shots. So one day I had a good shooter but he had no arc He shot line drives a la Cazzie Rusell of Michigan and the Knicks So I did a Jerry West drill . I took our indoor hockey sticks from PE classes and had my shooters shoot over a hockey stick to create some arc I would raise the stick and my jump shooters had to shoot over the stick Lario Martin a 6'1 gd was a good shooter but shot line drives.. The West drill was perfect for him. In a NY state semi final game a few yrs later he hit 7 threes's and I believe the record still stands, This was in 1988. In the sectional finals vs the defending state champions that we upset Laroi hit 5 tres at Marist College. He worked summer camp at Marist and played in their gym every night with all the councilors He was one of the 2 or 3 HS kids that worked the camp. He knew that gym inside out. But he changed his shot.form follow thru etc due to Jerry West drill .. Laroi played at Delhi and broke a few 3 pt records in college .
Yesterday was my birthday and got a call from one of my former players. He asked if I heard from Laroi. I told him his sister wrote me or texted me looking for him 2 yrs ago Laroi had just finished 3 years in the Army and lived with her and her boyfriend in North Carolina She asked me if I knew where he lived now I didn't know ..Laroi was owed money from his sister and boyfriend and sold their TV ,washer and dryer and other furniture. When his sister got home half the apartment was gone Unreal . He was working for Campbell soup in NC You know this story could end in a normal way. Anyway the player that called me was a former NY state trooper, body guard to Hillary Clinton when she was a senator in NY and now is A Dallas police officer Told him come visit me in Austin when you get a chance. Anyway no one knows where Laroi is now and hopefully he can still hit his Jerry West jumper . Thank you Jerry for showing me your jumper. Peace I am 72 years old. Wow Not sure if I can shoot my jumper anymore but I can sure box out .

Reactions: T and Goldylock$
Bet on MyBookie