The Oregon State game WAS setting up nicely for OSU...

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Marra

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2002
Chicago, Tempe
Key word-WAS.

ASU could of been flying high, thinking way overconfident, and looked right past Oregon State. Luckily for ASU backers/fans, a dumbass cornerback said this-

From the Arizona Republic:

Not everyone appreciates the new look of Arizona State football.

Not Tom Arnold, who crushed a shiny new helmet on national television.

And certainly not Oregon State defensive back Brandon Browner, who thinks very little of this raucous revival in Tempe.

"I think we can go down there and kick their butts again," Browner told the Eugene Register-Guard.

One foot in the mouth . . .

"With a lot of pressure, (Andrew Walter) gets nervous," he continued. "Walter gets scared, sees that D-line and tends to throw the ball away. That's when we can make big plays.

Welcome. The bulletin board has plenty of room.

"Those comments hit our e-mail addresses pretty quickly," ASU defensive coordinator Brent Guy said.

You know it could be your year when such blatant shows of disrespect are deeply appreciated on the receiving end. In Arnold's case, the actor simply drew attention to a game that most of the country never saw, and his gripes about ASU running up the score on nationally ranked Iowa only reinforced the message:

Wow, ASU must've beaten them really bad.

Meanwhile, Browner's remarks come a time when the Sun Devils need to forget about Iowa, and for that, the coaching staff says thanks. As for Walter, well, we probably can't print what he really thinks.

"I don't respect somebody that opens their mouth like that before the game," Walter said. "I respect how a person plays. I don't respect talk like that.">>>

Now, ASU definitely won't be overlooking the Beavers. Good news.

For those of you that don't follow PAC-10 football, just an FYI if you bet on Oregon State: Derek Anderson is possibly the worst QB in America. I said it. I have watched him get hyped up since Smith left OSU in 2001 and watched him throw pick after pick. He routinely throws into double and triple coverages, and NEVER learns from his mistakes. He does have a great arm, and he has got NFL size, but the buck stops there. A great man once said "Don't count on bad players to do good things for you." That is how I feel about Anderson.

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
thanks for the post marra. i was considering osu as well. hate it when these guys talk shit and (more often than not) look foolish on monday morning

Nickelback

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Southwest
Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. .. this is the first game of the Pac-10 season. . . of course ASU would be fired up anyways. If anybody was considering a bet on OSU because they thought ASU might not be fired up for the game, then they would have been mistaken.

But if people want to believe that ASU will now crush them, then please hit this line up to 10 for me. . . I'll gladly take it!

Should be a good game. . . OSU's offense is much different from Iowa and this will be the reason why the game is more competitive.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Marra

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2002
Chicago, Tempe
ASU is very mentally fragile (at least in years past) so just b/c it's the start of the PAC 10 season...I don't know if that means all that much. They were coming off a huge win over a team that manhandled them last year, and could have went into this game MUCH too overconfident. Not saying the article makes that big of a difference, but you don't want to give bulletin board material to any team, ESPECIALLY a team that is better and at home.

Browner should be looking at his QB when talking trash...Walter and Anderson are very similar skills wise, but somehow Walter just destroys Anderson in every stat, sans interceptions. Bring it, Beavers.

KALBO

Forum Member
Aug 17, 2001
Portland,Or.
Marra ....I missed Browners' comments but i agree with your assessment of Anderson. Browners comments could easily apply to his own quarterback(Anderson)...talk about nervous and no mobility.Even so I still like the Beavers plus the points.Unlike years past OSU has played a tough non-conference schedule...and with the exception of the 2nd half of the Boise St. game the Beavers have played well. Make 1 of 3 pats and they are 2-1.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Marra

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2002
Chicago, Tempe
pt1gard said:
how can you be overconfident when ur 0-0 on league and hoping for any bowl?

You must not be a follower of ASU athletics. Victory over big time opponents has went right to these guys heads in years past.

Marra

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2002
Chicago, Tempe
KALBO said:
Marra ....I missed Browners' comments but i agree with your assessment of Anderson. Browners comments could easily apply to his own quarterback(Anderson)...talk about nervous and no mobility.Even so I still like the Beavers plus the points.Unlike years past OSU has played a tough non-conference schedule...and with the exception of the 2nd half of the Boise St. game the Beavers have played well. Make 1 of 3 pats and they are 2-1.

Walter is the consensus #1 ranked QB in the senior class...so he must be doing something right. :clap:

Marra

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2002
Chicago, Tempe
I know he has lost a little luster....but Doc Sports 1st game of the year is on the Sun Devils. Just FYI. (As is fletcher). :)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg