the "OTHER" big game from the left coast

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

ScreaminPain

1/2 cocked
Forum Member
Nov 10, 2004
Southern California
Being on the ?left coast?, I?ve spent my ?capping time on the OTHER big game this Saturday. The California Bears come into the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum to face the Trojans of USC. This matchup is intriging in that it matches the defensive genius of Pete Carroll to the offensive minded Jeff Tedford.

Cal?s QB, Longshore , has played well most of the season, but did you notice how he struggled last week against Arizona??..so did Carroll. Arizona kept everything in front of them, kept pressure on Longshore and forced him to throw quickly and on the run. The Trojans DB?s will have trouble with the talented receivers of Cal., but with added push from USC?s big Defensive line, Longshore will be forced into quick, short passing situations that negate his big play capability. Cal?s RB, Lynch, needs to get more involved in the game. He had only 16 carries last week. I doubt Lynch can have a big game against the front 7 of the Trojans, but If Cal can get the Trojans to bite on the play action, that might buy enough time for Longshore to find one of his deep receivers.

The Trojans, on the other hand, have problems of their own. The backfield is banged up and so much so that I notice that Stafon Johnson, who has only 3 carries all year, has taken snaps with the first team this week. Chester Washington will start, but he is dealing with a knee injury, so he won?t be 100%. Cal?s front line is tough up the middle, and it remains to be seen if either Washington or backup Gable , with their injuries, will be effective running off tackle. If they are to have any success, it will be on the left ide, where Trojans LOT, Sam Baker, is big and athletic. He is quite capable of sealing the outside edge and athletic enough to hold his blocks.

Two keys to the Trojan success on offense lies here. First, they need to keep the Bears DT, Brandon Mebane out of the backfield. This will probably require a double team. That?s the only way Booty will have the time he needs to throw. Wide receivers Jarrett and Smith are fast and run great routes, but Booty needs time to find them. Secondly, is the matchup of Smith and Jarrett to Cals excellent DB?s Hughes and Thompson. Daymon Hughes has more interceptions than anyone in the country, so Booty will have to show good judgment in the pocket and take care of the ball. Booty, like most QB?s, is better when not on the run, so his passing success will hinge on the protection and the ability of his receivers to get open downfield.

The Trojan defense will confuse the Bears just enough to cause Longshore to make some mistakes, as evidenced last week in Arizona. USC will run the ball just enough to keep the Bears honest, opening up Booty to make a couple of big plays to put this out of reach in the 4th quarter.

The shear numbers may shade Cal plus the 6 in this matchup. However, Pete Carroll is 18-0 in November. He has his Trojans peaking at the right time with BCS implications riding. The Trojans haven?t lost at home in almost 5 years and I don?t expect them to lose today. In the ?other? big game of the day, I?m taking the Trojans minus less than a TD?..double play. USC 34-21

Last edited:

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
nice analysis....agree

prior to last week i thought cal was one of the best teams in the country, esp on offense. longshore really shocked me with his horrid play vs arizona and it was confusing to me why tedford didnt get lynch and forsett a ton of carries as opposed to throwing almost all the time, WHEN THEY HAD THE LEAD.

still think this sc team is missing it's explosiveness of the last few years on offesne, but their defense is much much better than last year and despite cal usually having success vs sc, i cant get longshore's putrid performance last week out of my head.

it should be nip and tuck most of the way, but i see sc winning by 7+