The World?s 85 Richest People Are Now Worth as Much as 3.5 Billion Poorest

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Stunning statistic

http://www.businessweek.com/article...-now-worth-as-much-as-3-dot-5-billion-poorest

The poorest half of the world?s population?that?s 3.5 billion people?control as much wealth as the richest 85 individuals.

On the eve of World Economic Forum, when the global elite gather in Davos, Switzerland, to forecast international trends, Oxfam International has released a new report, Working for the Few, (PDF) documenting yawning global wealth disparities. Other findings:

? The world?s richest 1 percent control almost 50 percent of global wealth.
? In 24 out of 26 countries studied, the richest 1 percent has increased their share of national wealth since 1980.
? Only three in 10 people live in countries where economic inequality has not increased over the past three decades.
? In the U.S., 95 percent of post-financial-crash wealth generated (i.e., since 2009) went into the bank accounts of the richest 1 percent.
? Nine in 10 people in the U.S. control less wealth in real terms than they did before the financial crash.

VIDEO: Li Ka-Shing Tops List of Asia's Richest
Quoting former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis??We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of the few, but we cannot have both??the report argues that further concentration of wealth and power ?presents a significant threat to inclusive political and economic systems.? The upshot could be ?heightening social tensions and increasing the risk of societal breakdown.?

That sounds bleak indeed. For a somewhat more optimistic take on the trajectory of the world?s poorest, a reader might turn to Bloomberg Businessweek contributor Charles Kenny?s book Getting Better, or regular dispatches on where and how global development actually is succeeding.

Rock the Casbah

Registered
Forum Member
Aug 14, 2013
Fuck the Casbah should be along shortly to say it's a good start.

A Better start would be for you to stop raping me of my tax dollars. Your total package of wage, pension and retirement requirements for your skill level are a complete pillage of the taxpayers money. :0074

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
A Better start would be for you to stop raping me of my tax dollars. Your total package of wage, pension and retirement requirements for your skill level are a complete pillage of the taxpayers money. :0074

I'd love to know your definition of "your tax dollars"! If you fuckers paid everything you were supposed to, instead of screwing the government out of what you owe, there would be no worries about what the "little guy" gets.

Either way, I don't give a shit. I got mine! 30 years in and show me the money! :00hour

Bet on MyBookie