This country is still a democracy

slim pickins

Forum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Pat Tillman's Brother Breaks His Silence
By Dave Zirin

When Pat Tillman, former NFL player and Army Ranger, died in Afghanistan in 2004, it unleashed a drama that moved from tragedy to obscenity to mystery.

First there was Pat's death. Because Tillman wasn't the kind of anonymous fallen soldier the Bush administration could blithely ignore, we all bore witness to the tears of his family, including his brother, best friend, and fellow Army Ranger, Kevin. Pat's death, like every last death that has resulted from this horrific Middle Eastern escapade, was tragedy.

Then came obscenity. It came out after Pat's funeral, that he had died at the hands of his own troops in a case of "friendly fire". This bit of information was suppressed from everyone outside the Pentagon and Oval Office even from Pat's family. It was even kept from Kevin, serving in Pat's battalion. Eulogists like John McCain, knowingly or unknowingly, told lies over Pat Tillman's body about death in combat. Bush gave a speech about Tillman over the jumbotron at football stadiums. He was given the Silver Star, a merit for combat, not friendly fire. From the perspective of this administration, Pat died for the noble cause of PR.

Finally from obscenity sprung mystery. For Pat's parents Mary and Pat, Sr. there were unanswered questions.

Why did the feds lie?

Why were Pat's clothes and equipment burned at the scene?

Why wasn't Kevin told the truth at the scene?

What happened to Pat's journal, that he had kept with him for years?

To pressure army investigators, Mary and Pat Sr. went public about Pat's true feelings about the war in Iraq (he thought it was illegal) and his growing questioning about the Bush "war on terror."

Now Pat's brother Kevin has broken his silence as well. Kevin has written a brilliant piece that should be distributed in front of every army recruitment center and sent to every person who wears the uniform.

I don't agree with every word, but that's hardly the point. Kevin, like Pat, represents a growing surge in this country against the machinery of death, and the lies that grease its wheels. We have paid dearly for those lies. It's time to bring the troops home now.

After Pat's Birthday
By Kevin Tillman

It is Pat's birthday on November 6, and elections are the day after. It gets me thinking about a conversation I had with Pat before we joined the military. He spoke about the risks with signing the papers. How once we committed, we were at the mercy of the American leadership and the American people. How we could be thrown in a direction not of our volition. How fighting as a soldier would leave us without a voice... until we get out.

Much has happened since we handed over our voice. Somehow we were sent to invade a nation because it was a direct threat to the American people, or to the world, or harbored terrorists, or was involved in the September 11 attacks, or received weapons-grade uranium from Niger, or had mobile weapons labs, or WMD, or had a need to be liberated, or we needed to establish a democracy, or stop an insurgency, or stop a civil war we created that can't be called a civil war even though it is. Something like that.

Somehow America has become a country that projects everything that it is not and condemns everything that it is.

Somehow our elected leaders were subverting international law and humanity by setting up secret prisons around the world, secretly kidnapping people, secretly holding them indefinitely, secretly not charging them with anything, secretly torturing them. Somehow that overt policy of torture became the fault of a few "bad apples" in the military. Somehow back at home, support for the soldiers meant having a five-year-old kindergartener scribble a picture with crayons and send it overseas, or slapping stickers on cars, or lobbying Congress for an extra pad in a helmet. It's interesting that a soldier on his third or fourth tour should care about a drawing from a five-year-old; or a faded sticker on a car as his friends die around him; or an extra pad in a helmet, as if it will protect him when an IED throws his vehicle 50 feet into the air as his body comes apart and his skin melts to the seat.

Somehow the more soldiers that die, the more legitimate the illegal invasion becomes.

Somehow American leadership, whose only credit is lying to its people and illegally invading a nation, has been allowed to steal the courage, virtue and honor of its soldiers on the ground.

Somehow those afraid to fight an illegal invasion decades ago are allowed to send soldiers to die for an illegal invasion they started.

Somehow faking character, virtue and strength is tolerated.

Somehow profiting from tragedy and horror is tolerated.

Somehow the death of tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people is tolerated.

Somehow subversion of the Bill of Rights and The Constitution is tolerated.

Somehow suspension of Habeas Corpus is supposed to keep this country safe.

Somehow torture is tolerated.

Somehow lying is tolerated.

Somehow reason is being discarded for faith, dogma, and nonsense. Somehow American leadership managed to create a more dangerous world.

Somehow a narrative is more important than reality.

Somehow America has become a country that projects everything that it is not and condemns everything that it is.

Somehow the most reasonable, trusted and respected country in the world has become one of the most irrational, belligerent, feared, and distrusted countries in the world.

Somehow being politically informed, diligent, and skeptical has been replaced by apathy through active ignorance.

Somehow the same incompetent, narcissistic, virtueless, vacuous, malicious criminals are still in charge of this country.

Somehow this is tolerated.

Somehow nobody is accountable for this. In a democracy, the policy of the leaders is the policy of the people. So don't be shocked when our grandkids bury much of this generation as traitors to the nation, to the world and to humanity. Most likely, they will come to know that "somehow" was nurtured by fear, insecurity and indifference, leaving the country vulnerable to unchecked, unchallenged parasites.

Luckily this country is still a democracy.

People still have a voice.

People still can take action.

It can start after Pat's birthday.

Brother and Friend of Pat Tillman, Kevin Tillman.

Master Capper

Emperior
Forum Member
Jan 12, 2002
Dunedin, Florida
Thats a very powerful piece of writing and I hope this gets some major news coverage, as what is written by Mr. Tillman is the exact truth about our corrupt current regime.

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
Thats a very powerful piece of writing and I hope this gets some major news coverage, as what is written by Mr. Tillman is the exact truth about our corrupt current regime.

im with ya master capper. Maybe it will wake up some of the Neo nitwits here. I doubt it tho. I have said a lot of these same things he is saying now but somehow im out of touch with reality to some. i guess these two soldiers are also part of the looney left. I wonder what that fellow poster Marine has to say about this post from Kevin Tillman.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
A powerful piece to some MC--You can have the brother--I'll take Pat--who gave up millions with
"0" publicity wanted to serve his country.
Really odd the diff in what people equate to powerful experience--isn't it?

Ex-Cardinal Tillman killed in Afghanistan

NFL.com wire reports

Remembering Pat Tillman
WASHINGTON (April 23, 2004) -- Pat Tillman walked away from millions in the NFL to fight for his country in Afghanistan.

He paid with his life.

The former Arizona Cardinals safety was killed Thursday night in a firefight while on combat patrol with the Army Rangers in Afghanistan. He was 27.

Statement from NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue
"Pat Tillman personified all the best values of his country and the NFL. He was an achiever and leader on many levels who always put his team, his community, and his country ahead of his personal interests. Like other men and women protecting our freedom around the world, Pat made the ultimate sacrifice and gave his life in the service of our country. We are deeply saddened by his loss and, on behalf of everyone in the NFL, we extend our heartfelt sympathy to the Tillman family."
"He is a hero," Cardinals vice president Michael Bidwill said. "He was a brave man. There are very few people who have the courage to do what he did, the courage to walk away from a professional sports career and make the ultimate sacrifice."

Lt. Col. Matt Beevers, a spokesman for the U.S. military in Kabul, said a soldier was killed by anti-coalition militia forces about 25 miles from a U.S. military base at Khost, the site of frequent attacks.

A military official at the Pentagon confirmed it was Tillman, and the White House praised him as "an inspiration both on and off the football field."

Tillman was an overachiever as an athlete. Too slow to be a great safety, too small for an NFL linebacker, he got by on toughness and effort.

Those attributes undoubtedly served him well in the Army Rangers, the elite force he joined in May 2002 after abandoning his career with the Cardinals. He moved from a violent game to the reality of war.

"Pat Tillman personified all the best values of his country and the NFL," commissioner Paul Tagliabue said. "He was an achiever and leader on many levels who always put his team, his community, and his country ahead of his personal interests."

Pat Tillman's best season was in 2000 when he started all 16 games and had 224 tackles.
Tillman was the first NFL player killed in combat since Buffalo offensive tackle Bob Kalsu died in the Vietnam War in July 1970. Nineteen NFL players were killed in World War II.

Denver quarterback Jake Plummer was a teammate of Tillman for seven years, three at Arizona State and four with the Cardinals.

"We lost a unique individual that touched the lives of many with his love for life, his toughness, his intellect," Plummer said in a statement released by the Broncos. "Pat Tillman lived life to the fullest and will be remembered forever in my heart and mind."

In college, Tillman was a long-haired wild man on the field, an All-Pac-10 linebacker always going full speed. Bone-jarring hits were his trademark.

He and Plummer led the Sun Devils to the 1997 Rose Bowl. The next season, Tillman was the Pac-10 defensive player of the year. He graduated summa cum laude in December 1997 with a marketing degree and a 3.84 grade-point average.

The Cardinals took Tillman in the seventh round of the 1998 draft, the 226th player chosen. At first, he made his mark on special teams but played his way into a starting spot at safety.

In 2000, he broke the franchise record for tackles with 223. He had 12 solo tackles, and a hand in 21 overall, in a 16-15 victory over Washington that season.

In practice, coaches often had to make Tillman slow down so he wouldn't hurt anybody in drills that weren't supposed to be full speed. Slowing down was always tough for him.

Before the 2000 season, he ran a marathon to see what it would be like. Before the 2001 season, he gave the triathlon a try.

Six months after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Tillman walked into the office of then-coach Dave McGinnis, pulled up a chair and said, "Mac, we have to talk."

Tillman and his brother Kevin -- a minor league baseball player in the Cleveland organization -- were going to join the Army Rangers, soldiers sent where the fighting is toughest.

"It was his wish that this not be something that would draw a lot of attention," McGinnis said. "He truly felt committed and felt a sense of honor and duty at this point in his life that this is what he wanted to do."

Tillman never said a word publicly about his decision.

When he returned from his Middle East tour of duty, Tillman, his wife, Marie, and brother Kevin joined the Cardinals for a game in Seattle last December. They spent five hours in McGinnis' hotel room the night before the game, talking.

"He was just so proud to be a member of the Rangers," McGinnis said. "That came through loud and clear."

Tillman attended the team's pregame breakfast, then watched the game with Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill and his son, Michael. Tillman talked with his teammates in the locker room after the game, then slipped out a side door before reporters came in.

Tillman turned down a more lucrative offer from the St. Louis Rams in 2001 to stay with the Cardinals. A year later, he walked away from a three-year, $3.6 million offer from Arizona to join the Army.

Phil Snow, now defensive coordinator at the University of Washington, held the same position at Arizona State when the Sun Devils recruited Tillman out of San Jose, Calif.

"Pat was a lot of things as a person," Snow said. "He was a tough, good-looking guy. He was extremely competitive. You know there is a saying with older people: 'He was a man's man.' You always knew where you stood with Pat. There was no phoniness in him."

Gov. Janet Napolitano ordered flags on the Arizona State campus flown at half-staff. His framed No. 40 jersey was displayed Friday on a table outside Cardinals headquarters, alongside flowers and teddy bears. A pen was left for people to write messages to the Tillman family.

"What other person do you know who would give up a life in the NFL to defend what he believes in with his own life?" said former teammate David Barrett, now with the New York Jets. "That is a humble guy."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

--only quote I can find from Pat on subject--
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4825949/

He went pro with the Arizona Cardinals and became known for his hippielike, shoulder-length hair?and his bone-rattling hits as a strong safety. But days after the terror of September 11, 2001, Tillman saw himself as just another millionaire athlete. "You know, my great-grandfather was at Pearl Harbor, and a lot of my family have ... fought in wars," he told a team camera crew, almost in shame. "And I haven't really done a damn thing as far as laying myself on the line like that." Six months later, Tillman shocked the sports world by enlisting in the Army and shipping out.

with all that being said--I think Pats family and brother have every right to be bitter about circumstances of Pat's death--I would be too.

Last edited:

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Holly cat this new law allows the attorney general or prez to send someone into our house. Take us away for two days with out any charges applied. Wow what are we letting happen to our rights. Every congressman who allowed this should be voted out. Dem's Or Reb's.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Somehow I dont think Kevin Tillman will get an invitation to appear on FOX anytime soon..........

Fox doesn't like 'uppity' patriots. They'd rather have a blowhard chickenhawk spouting trash than someone who actually served, who might have a critical thought or two.

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
Somehow I dont think Kevin Tillman will get an invitation to appear on FOX anytime soon..........

They might have him on in about two weeks. this gives them time to all sit in a room and think of a bunch of talking points to make these two great hero's into cowards Ask Max Cleland, John Kerry or Jack Murtha. Im sure they could let you know how this unfair and unbalanced clan works. The always spin right zone.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
I would like to see him interviewed anywhere my self--and see what he had to say himself.

Smurph What would make yo think FOX wouldn't interview anyone with negative view on war--They had Sheehan--the only ones you won't see come on Reillys show is those that refuse anything other than canned interviews--The Clintons--Jessie Jackson ect.

If you expanded your viewing past CNN-BET-MTV ect you'd be aware of this. ;)

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
im with ya master capper. Maybe it will wake up some of the Neo nitwits here. I doubt it tho. I have said a lot of these same things he is saying now but somehow im out of touch with reality to some. i guess these two soldiers are also part of the looney left. I wonder what that fellow poster Marine has to say about this post from Kevin Tillman.

Spooge,

Please don't expect to hear anything from me on this. Pat Tillman gave up a profitable and lucrative career in the NFL to go after something he believed in and placed above monetary wealth. We are not in his mind and don't know what his thoughts where, so I am not going to cheapen his choice in life by using it as a tool for pushing political agendas.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
along these subject lines--

War Critics Try to Recruit Military
Oct 24 6:22 PM US/Eastern

By ANNE PLUMMER FLAHERTY
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON
Anti-war groups are trying to rally active troops to speak out against the war in Iraq _ a political tactic they hope will sway voters Nov. 7.
A small group of active-duty members opposed to the war created a Web site last month intended to collect thousands of signatures of other service members. People can submit their name, rank and duty station if they support statements denouncing the U.S. invasion.

The electronic grievances are then passed along to members of Congress, according to the Web site.

"Staying in Iraq will not work and is not worth the price. It is time for U.S. troops to come home," the Web site says.

Jonathan Hutto, a Navy seaman based in Norfolk, Va., who set up the Web site a month ago, said the group has collected 118 names and is trying to verify that they are legitimate service members.

There are 1.4 million troops on active duty, including members of the National Guard and Reserve.

Retired veterans have long waded into politics, including the 2004 presidential campaign when a group of veterans challenged Sen. John Kerry's war record. More recently, several retired military generals have called on Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld to resign, contending he botched the war and put troops at risk.

Hearing publicly from active-duty troops is rare. Military laws bar officers from denouncing the president and other U.S. leaders, and regulations typically prevent service members from lobbying for a particular cause while on duty or wearing the uniform.

Legal experts who reviewed the Web site said the effort probably would not violate any rules because the site is not a personal attack on members of the administration and allows service members to quietly pass their grievance to Congress in their free time.

Backers of the Web site also cite a "whistleblower protection" law as added protection. Under the law, service members can file complaints to Congress without reprisal.

But at least two senators _ both critical of the administration's handling of the war in Iraq _ said they were concerned that service members speaking out against the president may undermine the military's apolitical status.

"We expect our soldiers to follow ... the legitimate orders of their commanders," said Sen. Jack Reed of Rhode Island, who is helping lead Democratic opposition to the war this election season.

"And if you feel a course of action is inappropriate, your choice is just getting out of the service, basically, if you can and making your comments as a civilian," said Reed, a West Point graduate and former Army Ranger and paratrooper.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a former reserve judge for the Air Force, said vocal complaints by active-duty members represented a "disturbing trend" that threatened to erode the cohesiveness of the military.

"We've had a long tradition making sure the military doesn't engage in political debate," said Graham, R-S.C. "We don't need a Democratic Army and a Republican Army," he added.

Hutto and supporters of his Web site said they see no problem with active-duty military personnel weighing into politics.

"We're doing this on our own time," Hutto said. Also, "We're speaking as American citizens," rather than service members.

Scott Silliman, director of Duke University's Center on Law, Ethics and National Security, said he sees the increasing political noise being made from military members _ active and retired _ as a relatively new phenomenon resulting from an increasingly unpopular war.

"Fifteen, 20 years ago you wouldn't have seen it happen," Silliman said.

Still, Silliman said, he sees little wrong with troops speaking out on their own time so long as they are not senior-ranking officers needed to carry out the president's orders. "It depends certainly on who it is" ramping up opposition to the executive branch, he said.

A Pentagon press officer did not respond to requests for comment left by telephone and e-mail.

___

Bet on MyBookie