(Thurs) I don't make many NBA plays, but...

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
New Orleans -5? is looking pretty good tonight in my opinion! I'm quite sure this line will go up.

Raptors played a tough game last night in Detroit (not exactly in the same neighborhood as New Orleans). Led the whole way but ran out of gas in the end and came up short. The game was delayed half an hour for weather (officials unable to get to the game on time due to snow). They then had to get to the airport, fly out late .... fly into New Orleans in the middle of the night. I have no idea what the road conditions were like in Detroit, but they are probably similar to what we had here in Toronto (pretty miserable). They should be good and tired when they take the floor tonight.

Raptors also have a history of faring pretty poorly against this team. Previous meeting, Hornets won Jan 2/04, 86-74 @ Toronto. New Orleans has won 5 straight and 8 of their past 10 against Toronto (covered 7 of 10).

Vince Carter logged 42 minutes of playing time against Detroit, as did Jalen Rose. Donyell Marshall played for 39 minutes. In fact, despite having to play on back to back nights, their bonehead coach only used 8 players in the game. Coach hates Moiso and Lamond Murray...they are nailed to the bench. Chris Bosh is still nursing an injured ankle, didn't play...doubt he will play tonight either.

I see the Hornets are on a bit of a slide of late (3 L's in a row), but I don't see a whole lot of reasons to back Toronto at such a small number in this spot. NO's lost home games to Minn and SA recently, as well as a 5-point loss @ Chi.

What is Jamal Mashburn's status for this game?

I am not the world's best NBA handicapper, but I do follow the Raptors pretty closely. Can anyone give me a good reason why you would bet them here??

MrChristo

The Zapper
Forum Member
Nov 11, 2001
Sexlexia...
Got -6

Got -6

With you all the way, GM. Love NO here, esp. with your info about conditions and late flights.

Firstly, Mashburn is on the IL, but he didn't play on 2nd Jan when Hornets won @ Toronto anyway.
NO out-rebounded Toronto 51 to 32 in that game!! Bosh played too.
Toronto got out-boarded tonight 54-39 by Det. and Wallace only played 21 minutes (got 5 rebounds) and were outscored 57-42 in the second half with Wallace out of the game.
Hornets' big men dominated last meeting, Brown and Magloire combining for 27 points and 21 rebounds...even David West had 10 points and 6 boards. No reason at all why it won't happen again.

League: 20-16-2 (Av. win 10.5) home 5+ fav, 1 day rest off ats loss as home 4- dog. [NO]
13-8 (Av. win 12.9) if opp was last away.
6-3 (Av. win 13.8) if opp off away ats win.

NO: 31-1 SU! (Av. win 10.0) home -> home, 1 day rest 5+ fav.

League: 12-53 SU (Av. loss 9.3) away -> away, no rest, 5+ dog off 10- ats win but SU loss as 5+ dog. [Tor]
1-5-1 (Av. loss 16.3!!) if total <180.
18-20 (Av. loss 10.3) if opp was last at home. (0-3 this season)
5-10-1 (Av. loss 11.2) if opp off home ats loss.
2-9-1 (Av. loss 14.1) if opp off home SU loss.

Tor: 3-15 (Av. loss 9.2) away -> away, no rest as 5+ dog.
NO: 16-2 SU (Av. win 7.9) v. team in that situation.
Tor: 1-6 this season (Av. loss 13.8) with no rest...Av. only 74.6 ppg!

In my view, the line is already 2-3 points too low, even without taking into account the late game and Toronto's travel woes.

Like this game alot.

Good luck to us, GM. :cool:

2004: 12-4-2

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
Ahh yes, I almost forgot the Magliore factor. If you are not aware, Magliore is a native of Toronto, and plays some pretty good games against his "home" team.

Yes, Good Luck to us. :cool: