Tips on catching finicky crappies under the ice.

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

bleedingpurple

Forum Member
Mar 23, 2008
Where it is real F ing COLD
Crappie fishing under the ice can be a very difficult job. I have a Vexilar FL -8 which is sonar used to find fish and fishing depths under the ice. The crappies will usually be in an area of vegetation, stumps, or some kind of cover. The depths can vary but I have had the best luck in 12 - 16 feet and in deep holes of 30 feet. The fish will show up as colored dots on the sonar graph and one can place his/her bait down the hole and the fish will swim up to the bait, but many times the fish does not bite or appear to bite. Crappies that come up to the bait are DEFINITELY INTERESTED in biting but sometimes they just don't well here are some tips to get them to bite.

1. Use a buck shot glow jig made by Northland Tackle and buy the little blue light that makes them glow. The glow gets them wild.

2. Get a spring bobber to place on the end of your pole. A spring bobber is very sensitive and allows you to feel the slightest bite.

3. Jig on the bottom and raise your bait slowly to about 3 - 5 feet off the bottom. The fish should slowly rise up to the bait.. They rarely bite on the bottom they come up to the bait.

4. When the fish does bite you will feel just a lite tug then give the fish a little slack by tipping the rod head down towards the hole and then set the hook.

5. Real like hell.

6. If you graph fish and then after a while they leave, take all your baits out of the water and wait about 10 minutes. They may show up again. Think they get spooked from all the activity.

Just remember to jig, jig, jig and make sure your jig glows. Very important

I will get some pics from the next episode of crappie fishing.