Tools question

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
Hi guys.

As you guys may or may not know, I am a new home owner.

Was wondering what you guys considered "must haves" for basic diy projects.

So far, I have a cordless drill, power mitre chop saw, and an orbital sander. Ryobi for the drill and sander, no idea the saw brand.

What do you guys reccomend I add to the arsenal? Eventually I'd like a full workshop, but understand I do not currently have the need for a band saw, or a router...

TIA!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

JOSHNAUDI

That Guy
Forum Member
Dec 12, 2000
Seguin, TX
www.schwartz-associates.com
Hi guys.

What do you guys reccomend I add to the arsenal?

A Wheelbarrow and a Holocaust Cloak

princess_bride_swap4.jpg

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

PAChicky

Bee
Forum Member
Feb 7, 2013
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
I have a bunch of the little things:
-A set of craftsman rachet wrenches in standard and metric
-A cordless drill
-A full set of screwdrivers
-A full set of vise grips
-A caulk gun
-Hammers
-A staple gun
-A sawzall
-Allen wrenches
-Box cutter
All the other stuff I borrow from my stepdad or my mom comes over and teaches me how to do stuff I'm not sure of so next time I can do it myself. :0074

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
backup battery

switch to 18v Lith as some point

in the future when asked what ya want for birthdays..christmas..aniv. etc..

answer is always HomeDepot giftcard..

PA gave ya a great checklist..

on the computer create a new folder in favs

in that every thing you ever lookup and any web sites of any use for the home go in there.

don't get caught not being able to find a site again..

bookmark all sites for purchases...ie..new stove ..refrig..toaster..etc..etc..etc..

never know when you will need the manuals and even better their complete PDF files..

Big Boys fix things..they don't have to call a repairman for every little breakdown in the house..

keep a list of all your buddies who are good as fixin' things..

pick their brains all the time..when they tell ya they are fixin' something at their house..try to take the time to watch and or help..

wall repair..painting..deck work..etc..are not rocket-science..and the web is full of ways to learn.

sheet metal tape..wood-glue...wd40..

oh...42'' LCD..corner mount..

old Pioneer Amp and some speaks..cheap old CD PLAYER..

..had to look in the garage..

extension cords..

keep an eye on Craiglist to inexpensive flouresent fixtures..never enuff light in the garage..

Vice..good heavy duty one..trust me..you will need one..

C....clamps....

junk box..I use see thru plastic ones..find them all the time in the rich neighborhoods while I'm cutting grass..

and the list goes on..

:0074

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Go to auctions and buy box lots of tools for pocket change.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Shleprock

Forum Member
Jan 21, 2007
a room for me with a lock on it. It is for peace and quiet nobody bug me leave me alone.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
I have a bunch of the little things:
-A set of craftsman rachet wrenches in standard and metric
-A cordless drill
-A full set of screwdrivers
-A full set of vise grips
-A caulk gun
-Hammers
-A staple gun
-A sawzall
-Allen wrenches
-Box cutter
All the other stuff I borrow from my stepdad or my mom comes over and teaches me how to do stuff I'm not sure of so next time I can do it myself. :0074

nice list,chicky...they sell all kinds of cheap accesories for recip.saws(different grades of brushes and pads for removing paint etc)...pretty handy....if you plan on doing some small jobs like moldings,trim and stuff,keep some multi-grit sandpaper on hand...cheap enough...

One Timer

Registered
Forum Member
Sep 25, 2012
Drimmel-By no means necessary but boy did it make certain tasks a heck of a lot easier/quicker/better.

Camera-So many times I have taken pics of something before I took it apart so I could have some clue of how it went back together. Also a lot easier to show someone at home depot than to explain.

Common sense-Turn off the circuit breaker, turn off the water valve. Don't get in over your head, know when it is over your head.

Youtube-you name it, they got it.

Reactions: Old School

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Drimmel-By no means necessary but boy did it make certain tasks a heck of a lot easier/quicker/better.

Camera-So many times I have taken pics of something before I took it apart so I could have some clue of how it went back together. Also a lot easier to show someone at home depot than to explain.

Common sense-Turn off the circuit breaker, turn off the water valve. Don't get in over your head, know when it is over your head.

Youtube-you name it, they got it.

:0074 :0074 :0074 :0074 :0074 :0074 :0074

can't tell ya the number of times the camera has been able to better explain the project at home

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Scrapman

Rollingdembones
Forum Member
Jan 6, 2013
south east PA
ok as far as one poster said wait until you need the tools because buying tools you don't need or may not use is like tosssing money in the street!

I also suggest looking at Craigs lsit for warehouse sales that bought off the shelf stuff , floor models , to save $100's on tools

like maybe a set of special screwdrivers that are missing 1 and packge was damaged you get 1/2 price or 75% off!

As far as Tools you will really need when DIY your own home.

a pry bar to remove those carpet edges nails
all types of screwdrivers manual ones!

YOU want the Heaviset blades for battery operated recip saws , sawzalls so they cut faster without killing battery.

I hate battery operated saws , drills etc. Thats why i have trouble on streets. So looking at Converter for Van to use with plug in tools.

a large vise because you never know what you need to hold in it!

go for 6" opening.

Cutting knives the bigger the better and go with hevy duty blades titanium coating last 5X longer

A extension bar for those bolts that are torgued on too much to get more leverage on socket wrench

a torch 2 of them one to cut with one to heat joints with

a pair of wire cutters one small for tiny wires in tight spots one larger for thicker wires

16 guage 14 guage and 12

of course if your going to be doing a lot of trim woodwork

you need a compound mitre saw to make both cuts one angle cut and the bevel edge cut to make that crown look at top of celing

oR just rent one at home depot or other stores because your not going to be doing this often as a DIY

Aslo buy the books on how to fix or make what you need. Online E how websites just dont give enough details.

OOOO one other thing you must have is a Coping saw

to cut those compond edges on mouldings so the fit tight

Aslo when you make cuts of joints for any wood item.

After you make template make sure you cut outside of lines so it fits tight.

Or else you have gaps all the way around the whole section.

I made this mistake on angle cut of countertop sink front triangle

had to buy another piece to get it right

:facepalm:

Last edited: