Toronto Argos owner & Ricky Willaims stick it to Theismann

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
Good for them...shut the loudmouth hypocrite up...

Argos owner tackles Theismann
WebPosted Thu, 01 Jun 2006 02:39:27 EDT
CBC Sports

Toronto Argonauts co-owner David Cynamon responded Thursday to former quarterback Joe Theismann's acerbic criticisms of Ricky Williams.

"That is a real slap in the face," Cynamon told the Toronto Sun. "I was shattered."

Cynamon was responding to comments made by Theismann during a phone interview on The Fan 590, a Toronto sports radio station, in which he claimed to being "embarrassed to have worn the A" because the Argonauts signed the suspended running back.

Theismann, a football commentator for ESPN who quarterbacked the Argos from 1971-1973 before joining the Washington Redskins, took issue with Williams playing in the CFL while he serves a one-year suspension handed down by the NFL for failing a fourth drug test.

"He is a disgrace to the game," Theismann said of Williams, whose use of marijuana prompted the first three positive results.

Williams, 29, inked a one-year, $240,000 contract with the Argonauts, who agreed to return him to the Miami Dolphins in 2007, at which time he is expected to apply for reinstatement to the NFL.

"The man does not deserve to play football," Theismann said. "He should go on with his life and treat his drug addictions, or go do whatever he wants to do."

"He has insulted professional football players, he has insulted the game of professional football. He's been suspended by the NFL.

"He doesn't want to play. He's going to a place where his value will be limited."

"He's got his opinions, I respect his opinion," Williams said. "Every time he says something, this is what happens.

"He says a remark about me that is offensive. Then, when he has to do one of our games, he comes and apologizes and says 'I'm sorry.'

So I'm sure next year when he's doing a game, he'll come up to me and say 'I'm sorry' and it'll be the same thing over again. It'll probably be next year when I go back to Miami and he's doing a game with ESPN."

Williams, winner of the 1998 Heisman Trophy, has averaged 4.0 yards per carry in the NFL, rushing 1,757 times for 7,097 yards and 47 touchdowns in 82 games (73 starts) for the New Orleans Saints and Dolphins since being drafted fifth overall in 1999.

Not surprisingly, Toronto's recent acquisition of the former Pro Bowler is a major coup for the franchise and the CFL itself.

Theismann, though, lashed out at Cynamon and co-owner Howard Sokolowski for signing Williams, calling it a "feeble excuse for the Toronto Argonauts to sell tickets."

"[We] are not bad people," Cynamon said. "We don't deserve treament like that."

Cynamon challenged Theismann's audacity by pointing out that his son, Joe Jr., pleaded guilty in 2001 to peddling cocaine and possessing drug paraphernalia.

Joe Jr. received a 10-year suspended prison term, probation and a fine.

"It is really a delicate subject for him to attack someone if he has that in his own family," Cynamon said. "If I was his son and he's calling this guy [Williams] a drug addict and he should quit and he's a loser, I'd be shattered.

"This thing is really bothersome."

Theismann himself was not without controversy as a pro quarterback, spurning the NFL for the CFL before becoming embroiled in a contract squabble with the Argonauts.

Theismann was drafted out of Notre Dame, ironically, by Miami, but signed with Toronto for $150,000 over three seasons with a $50,000 signing bonus.

The Dolphins countered with $135,000 over three seasons, yet also insisted that he repay a $35,000 signing bonus if he failed to make the 40-man roster.

Theismann spent three years in Toronto, completing 382 of 674 passes for 6,093 yards and 30 touchdowns with 34 interceptions.

As a rookie, he quarterbacked the Argonauts to a berth in the 1971 Grey Cup, losing 14-11 to the Calgary Stampeders.

Theismann later found himself at odds with then-Argonauts general manager John Barrow and went on to enjoy a stellar 12 years in Washington, even prevailing 27-17 over Miami in Super Bowl XVII.

DeadPrez

Forum Member
Sep 9, 2005
New York
Mjolnir said:
theismann's a complete asswipe. i freakin hate watching games he announces

him and paul mcguire together calling a game is impossible to listen to. I think espn changed their broadcasting crew when they got MNF. Hopefully these idiots won't migrate to ABC to continue calling the sunday night game :scared :sadwave:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

forest29

Forum Member
Sep 10, 2005
Texas
DeadPrez said:
him and paul mcguire together calling a game is impossible to listen to.

I agree. They make me nuts and I hope ESPN has the good sense to shit-can them as a broadcast team.

dunclock

Forum Member
Dec 22, 2001
Nashville, TN
Frank Wycheck is on the top sports talk show here in Nashville and they were talking about this situation this morning and his quote was "I have always thought he was a TOOL" and I totally agree!