Toronto Montreal

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Frogy

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Quebec, Canada
The new-look Toronto squad can score, but this team is going to have a heck of time keeping the puck out of its own net sloppy defensive performance by the Leafs that even Joseph couldn't cover against ottawa. It was the first time Joseph, who has a .792 save percentage this morning, has lost a season opener since he signed on with Toronto in 1998.A huge problem for Toronto was in moving the puck up-ice. One of the burning questions facing the MapleLeafs as they approach a new season was howquickly the new faces would adjust to the old
Ones clearly, that is a question coach Pat Quinn is pondering as well. Quinn admitted over the weekend that he was somewhat perplexed by the play of his veteran players, the lackluster effort of his defense on some nights, and the casual play of some of the new kids on the block, including Alexander Mogilny.

Now, vets usually reserve their best for the meaningful games, but Quinn obviously wanted a little more response, which he didn't get. Could it be he wanted a resounding response from his players to eliminate any doubts early
While coach Pat Quinn said the Leafs have "clearly got some work to do,"
"We're not there, but we still expect to be a good hockey team.
"If we start worrying about that, we'll play like some of the defencemen did tonight, like a deer in the headlights. That's not the way a hockey player needs to play."
The evidence from Game 1 of the 2001-2002 NHL season demonstrated the obvious - that the Maple Leafs should have two explosive scoring lines and, perhaps, a substantially improved power play for the first time in years.
Ideally, players like Cory Cross, Dave Manson, Aki Berg and Anders Eriksson would be asked to play the simplest of games, using the boards and glass to clear the puck from the Leaf zoneInstead, Quinn is requiring these rearguards to play a creative sort of game, one that requires vision, good lateral movement, quick decision-making and an ability to make passes of 20 feet or longer with precision, often while skating backward.
So the players end up looking like ham-handed clowns even though they didn't design the game plan. The coach, who also dabbles as general manager, needed to strengthen the defence corps with mobile passers over the off-season if he was determined to take this approach, but he did not.
Montreal killed all six power plays after ranking 21st in the league in penalty-killing last season.
For montreal Montreal all the players sign Koivu game shirt and put it up in the team room: its a big source of motivation for players and coaches: Koivu came to visit in to the forum yesturday and(like George.W would say) make no doubt about it, the habs are using this as a source of motivation. Koivu should make the official puck drop to start the game and expect lots of emotion on Montreal part, emotion that gave them a 7-2 record in pre-season games.
Andr? Savard aquiered Doug Gilmour for the next two years wich wont necessarelly had talent but more emotion for shure against toronto.
At the end i like the emotion factor on Montreal part to make them come on top on this one. All the notes i have found on toronto are not very positive, no chymistry out of the players room and on the other hand montreal has been on fire since start off preseason.
Not touching O/U
GLTA

selkirk

Forum Member
Jul 16, 1999
Canada
totals 2W=0L sides 0w-0l

last game picked (ND thread) was over in Montreal/Ottawa 5. montreal won 6-4 as both teams scored almost at will in the 3rd.

tonight small play on the over Montreal/Leafs 5.5 -110. both teams should be able to score, hopefully CUJO will not great. should be a good game, high in emotion.

thanks
selkirk

Frogy

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Quebec, Canada
Thats one game i didn't want to touch over under but you have it , emotion is the key word and i expect toronto to go up on offence on this one. Their defense was so so against ottawa and in pre-season. Opening ceremonies are sometimes good for early goals.
Theodore will be in goal tonight, he is not bad but each time i'm on him he gives a bad goal wich makes me like the over. cujo was not very impresive in last start was it his fault or the people in front of him : combination of both. He is better than what he showed but the defensive unit is not very strong and should contribute to make him look bad more than often
The trend in the last 4 games is clearly showing over; 3 over-1p.
Referees are suppose to be calling it close and emotion makes players be intense wich cause often goal but also penalities, wich could help toronto powerplay against a Montreal team that i have to admit, was impressive in killing penalties in last game.
I will give the over a shot (small)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Frogy

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Quebec, Canada
Note to myself.

Re-do home work on montreal over/under.
BOTH GOALY ARE HOT, SYSTEM IS DEFENSIVE,NO REAL OFFENSIVE TOOLS:
IF IT APPLIES AND THE TREND SHOWS SO, PLAYING UNDER IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF GAMES COULD BE WISE.

selkirk

Forum Member
Jul 16, 1999
Canada
you might be correct, however Montreal has added some talent up front that should help the power play.

Toronto played better on defense, and Cujo played like Cujo still Toronto does not have a strong defense and additions in the offseason were mainly offensive.

time will tell but at the end of the season cannot see Toronto or Montreal challenging (or being close to) for team to allow fewest goals.

thanks
selkirk