Tote Board Watchers

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

LasVegasErnie

Forum Member
Apr 2, 2002
U.S.A.
madjacksports
Anybody here use the tote board to find their picks?
I taught my son how to read the tote to keep him in the action at the track. He does quite well actually. Stricly win & place and usually ends the day with a profit minus 27 hot dogs & 55 gallons of mountain dew, which basicly breaks him even for the day.
Just curious if there were any tote board engineers in the house.

:cool:

proline

Forum Member
Jan 11, 2001
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I love to sit at home and use the live totes on racing channel.com
I look for late action (4-6 minutes to post).
At the smaller tracks I like to look at gimmicks. A favourite in the doubles who isn't going off as chalk.

rrc

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
Ernie, can you elaborate?

Ernie, can you elaborate?

Thanks.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Juice

Forum Member
Sep 16, 1999
Canada
Always use the tote board.
I'd be interested to hear what you look for when waching the board.

Dogfish

Forum Member
Jan 14, 2002
someone once had abook out that claimed a profit strictly from tote,cant recall name its pobably still out there.proline's d.d. angle is always a good one.today with all the simulcast and internet money coming in seemslike things can change preaty fast.most people look for late money i like to look at early money.seems like so called smart money sometimes goes early thus not creating that late charge to the windows,droping the odds.and almost disappearing in the pool by post.example would be 12/1 ml. early at 3/1 by post may be back close to 12/1.also gives some owner plenty of time to work his way from the turf club to the winners circle for pictures:D once had atrainer i used to handicap he always bet at the same window he was easy to spot huge cowboy hat.when he had alive one he always headed back downstairs tobe close to winners circle,otherwise he would stay and have adrink at the bar.:drinky:

Dogfish

Forum Member
Jan 14, 2002
also i always look for overlays in exotics its amazing how many times the quin. will pay more than the exacta:grins:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

LasVegasErnie

Forum Member
Apr 2, 2002
U.S.A.
madjacksports
Reading the tote board

Reading the tote board

It's a strategy I found in one of John Gollehons books
"Budget Gambling". Very affective.
You can use it for straight win wagers, exacta's and trifectas.
It's kind of involved, but you basicly track the odds changes from the last 15 minutes of wagering.
I posted this question on another board, and was immediately shown the foolishness of tote reading from a couple of the die-hard cappers. Those that don't understand the mechanics of tote reading, refuse to believe it can be profitable. I know better. So do those that do it.
It's actually kind of exciting to find a horse with a 12-1 ML, see his odds at 6-1 with 15 minutes left, drop down 5-1 4-1 3-1 then climb back up to 20-1 at post. He placed, paid $8.60 at FL Sat.
We had 3 more that day, same scenario.

;):D

Valuist

Forum Member
Aug 21, 2001
Mt. Prospect, IL
The best tracks IMO for tote watching are the smaller Kentucky tracks (Ellis and Turfway). Early money there is real significant. Especially when something looks out of whack. The legit 10-1 shot who opens at 6-5. They usually drift upward and may take some more money in the last minute. Many owners and insiders like to bet early; they want to be in the paddock while the horse is being saddled and don't want to risk getting shut out. It happens at other tracks too, but I seem to notice it most in Kentucky.

LasVegasErnie

Forum Member
Apr 2, 2002
U.S.A.
madjacksports
I seem to have better luck at the smaller tracks. FL, Delaware, Philly, etc. Not much tote action for middle odds at the larger tracks. We usually have very good results at FL.
True story; last summer at FL, horse had 20-1 ML, checked it at 15 minutes to post, 13-1. Didn't think too much about it because I don't normally track anything 15-1 or higher. But I happened to notice the odds on that horse dropped from 14-1 down to 5-1 in one minute. Then the odds proceeded to climb back up to 30-1.
That horse won at 30-1 odds! Almost the same scenario a couple races later, but at lower odds. That horse placed at 20-1!!
And of course I was so wrapped up in my search for tri's, I didn't have the sense to check any trainer/owner info on those two horses.
:shrug:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Juice

Forum Member
Sep 16, 1999
Canada
I have also had moderate success by watching the early money, and it seems to work better @ short distances for some reason.
Most of these horses win by wiring the field.

Valuist

Forum Member
Aug 21, 2001
Mt. Prospect, IL
Juice--

I think you are right. And I think it has something to do w/your moniker. It always seems funny business is more likely to happen in sprints; sudden form changes, horses winning after long layoffs, first time starters. These are instances in which the connections are betting w/both hands.