Tribe update & El Duque's Toe

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Buck

Forum Member
Jan 20, 2000
Cleveland
NEW YORK - Chuck Finley looked like a guy who'd
slept all night with the air conditioner pointed at his neck.

When asked a question Wednesday, he had to turn his whole body to face the reporter who asked the question.
That's why he will miss tonight's start against New York at Yankee Stadium. Rookie C.C. Sabathia will pitch tonight and Bartolo Colon tomorrow. Finley will startSunday if he's healthy.

Finley's neck problems started on May 11. His start against Tampa Bay was moved back one day and he responded by pitching seven scoreless innings.

"But I don't think I ever let myself get over it," he said."Right now, I can't reach out and get any extension with my left arm to finish my pitches. But I'm going to wait to
see how I feel on Thursday."

Trainer Paul Spicuzza said yesterday that Finley's neck was still stiff. Other than that, he said, "You'll have to tal to Charlie Manuel."

Manuel was already talking about re-arranging the rotation for the Yankees before the Tribe's 8-4 victory over Detroit on Wednesday.

One of the reasons the Indians signed Finley was because of his 17-9 lifetime record against the Yankees. He was 1-0 with a 1.42 ERA in two starts against them last year. Finley is 0-2 with a 19.73 ERA in his three
starts since May 12. In two of the starts, against Texas at the Ballpark in Arlington and Detroit at Comerica Park, he's allowed 16 earned runs on 17 hits in two innings.

PLAYER MOVEMENT

Look for Charles Nagy and center fielder Kenny Lofton to be activated today. Nagy will take Jake Westbrook's spot on the roster, while Lofton will probably replace infielder Mark Lewis.

The Indians indicated yesterday they may wait to activate Travis Fryman. They could be buying themselves additional time to clear a roster spot for the Gold Glove third baseman. Outfielder Jacob Cruz, who appears to be
the odd man out if and when Fryman returns, has been playing well and is out of options.

If the Indians were to package him with right-hander Steve Woodard, currently at Class AAA Buffalo, they may be able to add a young center fielder who could help them next year if Lofton isn't re-signed. The Indians have had on-going talks with Montreal about outfielder Milton Bradley.

SICK BAY

Colon said the callus/blister that knocked him out of Sunday's start against the Yankees is healing. . . . Marty Cordova could miss tonight's game with a bruised middle finger on his right hand. He injured it swinging the bat in the first inning Wednesday. . . . Juan Gonzalez (bruised big toe on his left foot) is expected to play tonight.

TOUGH GRADE

Orlando Hernandez, scheduled to start against the Indians tonight, has a bruise on the base
of the second toe of his left foot. The Yankees said El Duque aggravated the injury in his loss at Jacobs Field last Friday because the mound there is steeper than usual.

FINALLY

Russell Branyan and Jim Thome are running first and second in the American League in missed swings, according to Stats Inc. Branyan has missed 38 percent(139-for-364) of his swings and Thome has missed 31 percent (89-of-290) of his. . . . Robbie Alomar hit .371 (36-for-97) with one homer, 20 runs and 14 RBI in May.