Tsonga takes down Fed-Express in Montreal

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

JCoverS

Forum Member
Jan 24, 2001
Might be one of the most remarkable comebacks EVER, especially considering the opponent. I didn't get to see it, but I wish I could see a replay. According to an article I read, after winning the first set in a tie-breaker, Jo-Wilfried got blitzed in the second 6-1, and it looked for all the world that Federer was going to continue the beating in the third and deciding set racing out to a 5-1 lead. Then Tsonga wins six straight games to have some match points at 6-5, but Fed staves them off. Then Tsonga wins it in the last set tie-breaker. Winning the match after being down 1-5 in the third to argubly the greatest player of all-time?? :scared

Almost unimaginable...should be talking about this one for a long time, IMO. Major props to Tsonga, what a victory for him. He's always had loads of talent, but damn... Anyone know where I can catch a replay of this one. Would LOVE to see it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the news and my amazement of this feat. Any other thoughts on this from fellow MJ'ers?

-JC

Ghost Kid

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 23, 2008
I watched the last set and it was UNREAL
I had no action on this, but I would have been smashing things in my house if I had Fed

Tsonga was up 6 to 5 in the final set and had three match points. Fed fought off all 3 match points and pushed it to a break. But Tsonga served right through the tie break.

Remarkable stuff. A nightmare for Fed backers.
What was Federer to win this match? -800?

JCoverS

Forum Member
Jan 24, 2001
I saw -650 at my book. I'm very envious of you Ghost Kid. You were fortunate to have watched that live feed. Pretty remarkable sports moment in my opinion. I want to see the replay...very badly. Any chance of a link from somebody more resourceful than me?

-JC

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
I watched the entire match, and how about "in play betting", massive odds on Tsonga when he was down 5-1 :scared :scared

As for biggest comebacks, I have seen crazier, I remember a Davis Cup doubles match where team was down 2 sets to love and 5-0 in the third they came back and won the third set in a tiebreak fighting off like 8 or 9 match points. Were down 5-1 in the 4th and came back and won in another tiebreak fighting off another 3 or 4 match points. Then in the 5th set they wer down 4-0 and came back and won 10-8 in the 5th. They fought off something like 20 match points and won:scared That was the biggest comeback I have ever seen.

As for me I remember being down 6-0 4-0 in a juniors match and I came back and won 6-4 in the third.

Gotta love men's tennis:)

JCoverS

Forum Member
Jan 24, 2001
Glad you got to see it, kick. I realize there have been wilder comebacks in tennis. Had Tsonga done this against some chump, then it wouldn't have made as large of an impression on me. It wasn't necessarily the scoreline...it was more about the man on the other side of the net that he manufactured this comeback against. Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I think what Tsonga did today was truly amazing. Obviously Tsonga raised his level to pull this off, but what happened to Fed? Was he looking like he did in the fifth set of the Aussy Open final this year against Rafa?

-JC

THE_THONG

Forum Member
May 2, 2008
Victoria's Secret
if you watch tennis long enough, there's always great comebacks

andy murray came back in wimbledon against richard gasgay(lol), he was down 2 sets and like 4-1 in third set

fernando gonzalez did the same thing against gasgay

when fed came back against roddick in wimbledon, that was hell of a comeback, remember that second set tiebreaker

the epic wimbledon final with fed and nadal, where nadal went up 2-0 sets but nadal held on

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

JCoverS

Forum Member
Jan 24, 2001
Thanks for pointing those out Thong, but still believe yours and other examples are not close to what happened today. This was the almighty Federer with a 5-1 lead in the final set and he LOST THE MATCH! Now, if you'd have told me Fed came back from 5-1 down in the decider to win, it's incredible but not all that surprising. However, Tsonga beating Fed today, in the manner in which he did, was ultimate of shocks to me. Personally, I don't think it can be overstated. :shrug:

-JC

crow

Forum Member
Jun 3, 2008
I've said it, Fed's fitness is slowly going down the drain, no more covered backhands just sliced ones it's a sure sign.

He's there for the taking.