Tue hoops

hobbs

Forum Member
Nov 14, 2002
I think I got a bit misconstued by my first comments here. I mentioned "I dont care" if you guys win or lose. Well of course I want to be helpful, and that statement was not well put by me. I mostly meant I am not going to apologize if you follow me and WE lose. Of course I wish everyone the best of luck and hope you all smash your bookies!!!!

To the picks...

St. Joes -2.5 at Drexel: Talk about a line jumping off the page. Drexel just finished with a poor showing against a decent Penn team, but lets all remember and mention their awesome showing against Duke and UCLA. Now they are getting points at home? Well fine I will bite. I think Flint is getting as much as he can out of his kids and he deserves credit. But they are not ready to handle the defensive monster that is Martelli and St. Joes. St. Joes off a tough loss at an extremely hot shooting and veteren laden Davidson squad. That happens. But being that they dont turn the ball over and they seem to be putting up some nice shooting numbers (48%), add that to the coaching matchups ( I will take Martelli over Flint any day under 5 pts.) and we have our play.

The play... St. Joes by 8

W Kentucky +9 at UAB: Anderson has once again got these guys rollin. If you arent prepared fully for UAB you are in for a long day. Western Kentucky has suffered some tragedy this year with the loss of their point guard, just terrible. And in fact I believe they are pretty solid. Unfortunately without great guard play UAB will make it long night. Last games W Kentucky has gone for 20 and 27 turnovers consecutively. This plays right into UABs up tempo press style. I am rooting for W Kentucky to have a great year and I wish them well. But tonight they will have to take their lumps and move on.

The play... UAB by 16

Dayton +9 at Cincy: No Huggins no problem. I was very impressed with Dayton at Creighton (I had Creighton), but we learned a few things as well. Dayton can board, but unfortunately they dont take care of the ball very well, 26 TO vs. Miami Ohio, 25 vs. Creighton. Cincy is just flat out solid and super tough at home. Will they be looking forward to Memphis? Possibly. But this game is a bit of a rivalry and I dont see them looking past a good Dayton team. Dayton may hang but not for long.

The play... Cincy by 13

Santa Clara +1 SJ state: Nessman has got them believing again. San Jose state in the past has always had decent athletes but zero coaching. They made the right call with Nessman. Guy can flat out coach. Look for SJ state to surprise people this year! Bay area rivalry game got to give the nod to the home team with the better coach. Dont get me wrong, Davey does a nice job, I will take Nessman.

The play SJ state by 7

Other looks and opinions...

North Carolina. Always enjoyed Saints posts last year. Really knows the Tar Heels. This going to be interesting, Roy may be hiding something in Chapel Hill?

Wisky. I love Bo Ryan.... at home. Wisky will be dangerous. Wouldnt shock me to see them win straight up. But their first TRUE road game test, I will lay off.

Johnnies: A covering machine last year, are they back?

Ok, good luck to all!!!!! (And I hope you guys win!)

Hobbs

Last edited:

HoopsGuru

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2004
nice pick with the hawks. st joes has dominated drexel for the past 5-6 years. they will find a way to win this game. plus its at the palestra, st joes home away from home. i'm sure the place will have a ton of st joes fans. this game is the first half of a double header. game 2 is penn/colorado. good luck!

hobbs

Forum Member
Nov 14, 2002
Thanks for the heads up! Didnt realize the venue. Cheers!

jcuaudi

Forum Member
Feb 4, 2003
Chicago, IL
Hobbs,
I'd tread lightly with the Dayton play...true, they don't handel the ball well, but I don't think the creighton game TO's show how they handeled the ball...

the refs were completely lopsided, and I think there were 10 or so TOs that were becuase of offensive fouls, 5 second calls, ect...

given I'm a little biased becuase I'm a UD fan, I still think that this game will either be a Dayton win or a UC blowout...this flyer team is going to be jeckel and hyde all year long, because if they don't knock down some threes in the first 5 minutes the offense will be done for the rest of the game (like @ miami)...

it's still too early in the season to tell, but I think gregory will have them prepared for UC, especially after the embarrasement @ miami...they came to play @ creighton, and had the calling been a little more fair they would have easily won (funk for creighton took two more foul shots than the whole UD team combined! and didn't have one personal foul in over 45 mintues of play time!!!!)...

yes, the UD / UC rivalry lives on, which is another reason to lay off this game...will it be a blowout like it was two years ago @ UC? or will UD get off to a good start and handle a weaker UC team?

who knows?

but I do know that I wouldn't want to be laying 9 against a team that shot 60% from deep and can beat any team on a hot night...

HoopsGuru

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2004
hobbs nice call on the hawks, you nailed that one on the head, only off by 2 points. they've got a tough game at the garden on tues vs kansas.

seoulbrotha

Forum Member
Aug 26, 2005
one for three???
im glad i didnt follow ur picks. better luck tomorrow hobbs :rolleyes: :mj03:

Bet on MyBookie