Tuesday: Penn -9.5

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Sometimes it's hard to know which Penn team will show up: the one that beat Villanova and Temple at home by 14 and 25 respectively (and USC in CA by 38) or the one that lost to St. Joe's last week on their home court by 18.

Penn is the class of the Ivy and a good shooting (46% from the field including 40% from the arc), good rebounding team whose biggest downfall is sometimes thinking they're better than they are.

Penn depends heavily on the 3; the Quakers rank in the top 10 in the nation in number of shots sunk from the arc per game.

Last week, St. Joe's stopped Penn's 3 which stopped Penn.

Penn is highly motivated to defend their Philly Big Five title; they're currently 2-1 in Big Five play and need a win tonite vs LaSalle to put them in position to win their second consecutive.

Penn is an experienced team; mostly seniors while LaSalle's starting five are all freshmen and sophomores. LaSalle can shoot and they're going to be a real power in the ATL 10, but they're a year or two away.

After last week's embarassment by St. Joe's in front of their home crowd, Penn will take it out on LaSalle tonite. LaSalle doesn't have the D to stop Penn's high-scoring (for the Ivy anyway) O and Penn is motivated to keep the Big Five title vs their ATL 10 and Big East local rivals.

I think Penn will play with the same chip on their shoulder that Manhattan played with last nite, only LaSalle doesn't have the talent of Seton Hall to keep this one close.

gl

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Just one more thing.

For those of you who follow line movement:

The LVSC opening line on Penn was -9.

Oly opened at Penn -10 and it quickly moved to -9.5.

IMO when Oly sets their lines above the LVSC it's in an attempt to get money on the dog, in this case LaSalle.

gl

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Penn now -10.5 at Oly.

FWIW this is not a huge play for me. I've got to earn back my Ivy guru status and there are a couple of better games tomorrow: Rider losing on the road and Hofstra winning big at home.

And Niagara's big upset of Manhattan on Friday night.:eek:

gl

- Jon

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

rrc

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
Was taking a hard look at Penn, thanks to your input just played them. Thanks for all your east coast insight.

Wonderdog

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2003
Midwest
After the but kicking of no show vs St Joe.
I look for Penn to come out smoking the first half.
Very big Play for Da Dog

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Valuist

Forum Member
Aug 21, 2001
Mt. Prospect, IL
This line looks a little steep, IMO, esp. for a rivalry game like this. I question how battle tested Penn is, since they have such a relatively small number of lined games so far. They live and die with their 3, which makes them dangerous as a dog but a potential problem in the role of near double digit favorite.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Personally I think that Penn will win by double digits but I wouldn't put any new money on them at -12.

My plays for today on this game are:

Penn -9.5 550/500

LaSalle +12.5 (bought a 1/2) 300/250

If you got in on Penn at -9.5 it seems the middle is worth a shot. LaSalle has covered double digits more than not.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Kdogg21

who?
Forum Member
Dec 8, 2001
Chicago,IL
might be wise to do a 4 team 9 pt teaser

Mich St +5
Florida +8
Penn -3
Clemson +11.5

not bad of a play

I definaely like Penn the First half though for a unit.

Should come out with smokin guns

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Johnny/Kdog --

In theory that 1H play sounds good but I've been burned a lot this year on these 1H plays.

Sorry I can't provide more of a ringing endorsement.

gl

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg