TUESDAYS SERVICE PLAYS

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

pigskin

Forum Member
Dec 28, 2004
The matchup of White against Leinart puts two Heisman Trophy winners in the same game for the first time in college football history. A few weeks after the pair was hugging at the Heisman ceremony, where Leinart took home the honor and White finished third after winning it last year, each quarterback has to hope the other fails miserably.

``Last year at this time, there were interviews everyday with different people about the Heisman and that's not the case this year. There's definitely less attention for me which is good,'' said White, who has thrown for 2,961 yards with 33 touchdowns and six interceptions this season.

``I have a pretty good sense of what he's going through, but Matt's a smart kid and a great athlete. He'll keep the distractions away and he'll be ready to play.''

White's efficiency rating was slightly higher, but Leinart came away with the Heisman and AP Player of the Year honors after piling up 2,990 yards passing, 28 TDs and six interceptions.

Both players benefitted from an outstanding underclassman in the backfield. Leinart was complemented by a sophomore who affected the game in many ways and White relied on a freshman who opened up the passing game because of his effectiveness carrying the ball.

The Sooners saw Peterson nearly become the first freshman in history to win the Heisman -- he was runner-up to Leinart -- as he finished third nationally with 1,843 rushing yards. Peterson ran for 15 scores and averaged 5.9 yards per carry.

Bush, who was fifth in the Heisman voting, is a triple threat who had 15 total touchdowns and has come up with numerous dazzling plays for the Trojans. The 6-foot, 200-pounder ranks fifth in the country in all-purpose yards, averaging 181.8 per game, despite teams often tracking his every move and kicking the ball away from him.

At least one Sooner is more worried about Bush than Leinart.

The only real bulletin board material to come out since this matchup was announced came from Oklahoma defensive end Larry Birdine, who called USC's offense 'average' and questioned Leinart's ability.

``Besides Reggie Bush -- he's a great athlete, he's a fast back, he makes plays or whatever -- but nobody else stands out to me,'' Birdine said. ``Matt Leinart, he's the Heisman Trophy winner, but he hasn't been driving them -- or he hasn't been winning games. Up 'til the last four or five games, Reggie Bush has been their difference-maker.

``We feel like if we take Reggie out of the game, we're gonna win.''

Bush, however, isn't even USC's top threat out of the backfield. LenDale White rushed for team highs of 985 yards and 13 TDs.

Both teams are also terrific on defense.

Not only were USC and Oklahoma among the country's top 15 in points scored and total offense, they both allowed fewer than 14 points per game and gave up less than 285 yards per contest to rank among the top 10 nationally.

``The obvious perspective you see in this game is that this is such a great matchup of two teams that have had really successful seasons and have like strengths,'' said coach Pete Carroll, whose Trojans carry a 21-game winning streak into this showdown. ``We both play defense well, and both have big-time Heisman quarterbacks and flashy running backs and very exciting teams.''

These teams, who had no common opponents this season, have never faced each other in a bowl and are meeting for the first time since 1992. USC has won four straight, and is 4-0-1 against Oklahoma since a loss in 1971.

The Sooners trail the all-time series 2-5-1, though they're 1-1-1 against top-ranked Trojan squads. USC has won twice against second-ranked Oklahoma teams.

USC, only two bowl victories behind all-time leader Alabama (29), made its only other trip to the Orange Bowl in 2003, routing Iowa 38-17.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ezpickin

Forum Member
Nov 24, 2003
I thought Feist had a GOY last night on Auburn? Of course, I am sure he will have more than one Bowl GOY! lol

Dax22

Forum Member
Feb 17, 2000
Utah
Pig skin why do you write service plays and then have none in your post. I have seen you have been starting the trend for Mizzou that has always offered the service plays. But I'm confused why you have to do it can't he start one himself. And why do you lure me in with no services plays at all? Just a few questions for you real quick I don't mean to bust chops I was just wondering?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mizzou

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2001
Ats Lock Clubs

CFB
3u Oklahoma -1

CBB
4u San Fran -6 1/2

NBA
3u LA Lakers +11

Mizzou

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2001
Billy Coleman
4* NJ
3.5* NY
3* Minn

Great Lake Sports
4* Minn

JB Sports
2* Sac

college FB
USC / OK Under 53

Stan Lisowski
3* San Francisco -pts over Penn

Mizzou

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2001
Dr Bob - Orange Bowl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orange Bowl - Jan 4
USC (-3.0) 24 Oklahoma 20
I have considered USC to be considerably better than Oklahoma for most of this season, but the Sooners upgraded their defense when the took the red shirt off highly touted freshman CB Marcus Walker during their near upset loss to Texas A&M, replacing the secondary’s weak link, Eric Bassey, who is now the nickel back. Walker, and the return to healthy of Antonio Perkins gives the Sooners two shutdown cornerbacks to go along with two great safeties and Oklahoma’s defense allowed only 61 passing yards at 2.5 yards per pass play in 3 games with Walker starting opposite of Perkins (who missed their game against Oklahoma State in which they gave up 8.7 yppp). Granted, shutting down Nebraska, Baylor and Colorado, who would combine to average just 5.8 yppp against an average defense is not clear cut evidence that Oklahoma now has an impenetrable pass defense, but it is enough evidence to suggest that they are even better than their very good season rating of 1.5 yppp better than average. I can go as far as to now rate the Sooners at 2.1 yppp better than average against the pass, but they could be even better than that. That’s still not as good as a USC pass defense that allowed just 4.4 yppp this season despite facing a schedule loaded with good passing teams that would combine to average 7.0 yppp against an average defense. Oklahoma does defend the run better than the Trojans, as the Sooners would allow just 3.6 yards per rushing play to an average offense while USC would allow 3.8 yprp. Overall, I rate USC’s defense as 0.1 yards per play better than Oklahoma’s defense now that the Sooners have improved their pass defense. USC also has a 0.1 yppl advantage offensively, but that’s just because the Sooners run the ball more. These teams are incredibly similar offensively, as USC’s compensated run average is 5.57 yprp while Oklahoma’s is 5.52. The pass attacks, with Leinart and White in the game, rate at 8.20 yppp for the Trojans and 8.30 yppp for Oklahoma. With the offenses and defenses so equal, this game will probably come down to special teams and turnovers, of which USC has the advantage in both counts. Both teams have good kick returners, especially now that Perkins is healthy again for Oklahoma, but Reggie Bush rates and edge in that regard and USC’s bad kicker (-0.5 points per game) is actually better than Oklahoma’s bad kicker, who rates at -1.2 points per game and made just 2 of 10 kicks from 30 yards or longer. Overall, the Trojans have a 1.1 points edge in special teams and a 1.3 points edge in projected turnovers, and my math model favors USC by 3.3 points (and 47.7 total points) after making the proper adjustments (most notably for Oklahoma’s improved secondary).

That model uses all games, but I also like to do a profile analysis in games like this, to see how each team played against teams of similar caliber. USC’s offense rates at 1.4 yppl better than average, but the Trojans were just 1.0 yppl better than average against the 3 very good defensive teams that they faced this season, averaging 5.3 yppl against Virginia Tech, Cal, and Oregon State (who would combine to allow 4.3 yppl to an average offense). Oklahoma’s defense, meanwhile, played all of their good offensive opponent’s before Walker was inserted into the starting lineup, so I’ll use those games to compare their overall defense to their defense in games against good offensive teams. Prior to Walker, the Sooners’ defense was 1.1 yppl better than average and they were also 1.1 yppl better than average against the 5 good offensive teams that they faced, allowing 5.3 yppl to Bowling Green, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas, and Texas A&M (who would combine to average 6.4 yppl against an average defense. The net of all of that analysis suggests the USC would perform at 0.4 yppl worse offensively if both teams perform at the level they played at against teams with similar offensive/defensive credentials as what they are facing in this game.

Oklahoma’s offense didn’t face a defense anywhere close to the level of USC, but they averaged only 5.6 yppl against the best 3 defensive teams that they faced this season – Texas A&M, Texas, and Texas Tech (who would combine to allow 4.6 yppp to an average offense). So, the Sooners’ attack, which is 1.3 yppl better than average for the season, was only 1.0 yppl better than average against very good defensive teams. USC’s defense, which was great in general (1.7 yppl better than average), was even better against very good offensive teams, limiting Cal, Arizona State, and UCLA to a combined 4.8 yppl – which is 2.1 yppl less than the 6.9 yppl that those explosive offensive teams would combine for against an average defensive team. The difference between the overall ratings and the ratings against similarly good competition is 0.7 yppl in favor of USC’s defense, and the Trojans would be favored by 5 ½ points with a total of 41 ½ points using the profile analysis.

There are situations favoring both sides in this game, so I’ll call for a predicted score that’s between the math using all games and the profile analysis. Thus, I have no opinion on the side (USC’s chance of covering at -3 is less than the 52.3% break-even point), but I will consider the Under a Strong Opinion since both defenses have an edge over their offensive counterparts and both teams had a tendency to play lower scoring games against quality competition. USC played 4 games against teams that were good on both offense and defense and they averaged only 44 points in those games against Virginia Tech, Cal, Arizona State, and Oregon State. Oklahoma, meanwhile, played 4 games against teams that were better than average on both offense and defense and they averaged a total of just 42 points in those games against Oregon, Texas Tech, Texas, and Texas A&M. And, games against the best overall team each team faced went well under the total, as USC-Cal totaled just 40 points and went Under the 57 ½ point total and Oklahoma-Texas was a 12-0 final score in a game in which the total was 53 ½ points.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mizzou

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2001
big al
3* knicks
3* bucks

ats lock
3 unit oklahoma
3 unit lakers
4 unit san francisco

feist
4* timberwolves

sprietzer
****** play suns

pointwise
4* oklahoma

mike rose
3 unit oklahoma

special k
5* oklahoma

marc lawrence
4* oklahoma

gameday
3* oklahoma

adam meyer
oklahoma

lt profits
2 unit oklahoma
========================

Wayne (short) Root

Millionare Club Picks Oklahoma

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

EASTWOOD

Forum Member
Sep 12, 2004
MIZZOU-
HOPE ALL IS WELL. ANY CHANCE OF GETTING TOM FREESE-"TOTAL of YEAR" OR LARRY NESS-BOWL GAME of YEAR OR ROB VENOS 6* ORANGE BOWL TOTAL.

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Mizzou

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2001
texas sportswire
5* goy oklahoma
5* under

jb
2* kings
2* usc under

billy coleman
4* new jersey
3.5* new york
3* minnesota

mike warren
usc under
=================

Game Day (Bill Hilton)

Orange Bowl 3* Oklahoma
======================

Stan Lisowski

5 star UNDER OU/USC
3 star USC
3 star NY Knicks
3 star Minn. T. Wolves
3 star San Fran (CBB)

=================

Godsey

Wise Guy play on USC -1 & Under 53

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mizzou

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2001
Dr. Bob

hoops

Indiana Pacers

If the line is -7 or better it is a 2* game, if it is higher than -7 than it's a strong opinion.

=============

Bucks at Pacers 7;05pm EST
Play On: Pacers -points

The Pacers are getting their team back together piece by piece and have won three straight. The Bucks are mired in last place and are 2-11 SU as a visitor. Follow this system tonight:

PLAY ON home teams off an upset win as a road underdog against opponent off 2 consecutive road losses by 10 points or more.
(26-2 92.9% since 1996.)
Bucks will not be able to keep up to Indiana's pace and lose by 10 points.

Last edited: