U know U Fathers n Coaches have said this to kids n baseball

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

SKEETER1

SKEETER1
Forum Member
Aug 12, 2001
Phoenix
Fly ball and Ur screaming USE TWO HANDS..USE TWO HANDS.......(If U throw rt handed) What in the hell is the right hand good for??????? Just catch the ball w/Ur left hand. Many of U know my background in baseball, so I am curious as to why this is said??????? Not a groundball, but a fly ball. Should be some interesting feedbk from parents n coaches :mj07:

Last edited:

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
I think it has more to do with kids having undeveloped muscles. That other hand acts as a brace since the glovehand is hard to physically control.....especially for those kids using their dad's oversized glove.

BuckwheatJWN

Forum Member
Aug 13, 2009
Gloves were so small years ago,and still may be, to fit comfortably on younger kids. The non glove hand can aid in keeping it near the glove and preventing it from falling out. I always figure that's where the saying originated from. Not from post 1960 gloves which are more "basket" like......You ever notice the gloves which were used pre 1960 or so? No wonder those guys batted over .300 and over .400 back in the day. No one brings up this factor when talking about the GREATS of the 00's through the 50's. I don't think many home runs of Babe Ruth were snared from the other side of the fence either, with gloves which today would be no bigger than the ones used for shoveling snow.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
The second hand is for stability, as pointed out previously. It is also good for concentration with youngsters imo.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
The second hand is for stability, as pointed out previously. It is also good for concentration with youngsters imo.

A lot of PROS use 2 hands too.

It's better form. :0008

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000

I think the second hand gives you a better bearing on the ball as it is in the air as well.

Something similar to framing it up. This is not as critical once you develop an eye for the ball in the air, but it helps me every softball season in the beginning of the year.

But by mid-season, I'm usually too busy over-the-shoulder basket catching and full-horizontal diving to be concerned with such elementary concepts as a second hand....

27168_512.jpg

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
With younger guys, it helps with concentration and prevents the occasional ball popping out of the glove. A smaller benefit, IMO, is it puts your throwing hand right on the ball so you can gain control of it to throw it quickly, if need be. I think it forces the player to look at the ball more, and judge it coming into the glove, then secure the ball.

BuckwheatJWN

Forum Member
Aug 13, 2009
THROWING HAND CAN ALSO SHADE SUN OR LIGHTS. I REMEMBER WHEN I FIRST STARTED PLAYING FAST PITCH SOFTBALL WITH A DENNY MCLAIN" 31 WINS "GLOVE. IT WAS HUGE COMPARED TO THE STANDARD BACK THEN. THE OLD TIMERS USE TO SAY THEY WANTED TO KNOW AND FIND THE BALL WHEN THEY HAD IT IN THEIR GLOVES. I TOLD THEM I JUST WANTED THEM TO BE OUT, AND I COULD FIND IT LATER