Umpire Crew for WS?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

~Buckshot~

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ok, guess I needed to look a little harder ( or at least in a different place )

Hirschbeck Crew Chief
Darling
Kellogg
Winters
Holbrook
Miller

Played u 23 H+R+E in game #1...good luck to all

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
The World Series umpire crew includes two first-timers

Last year, after a bunch of missed calls in the early rounds, Major League Baseball made sure that the World Series was populated with experienced umpires. This year, not so much: the crew will include World Series first timers Sam Holbrook and Bill Miller, along with vets John Hirschbeck, Gary Darling, Mike Winters and Jeff Kellogg.

Using a highly scientific method (i.e. searching the HardballTalk archives) I can?t find any instances of Holbrook engaging in any poor umpiring-related shenanigans. Miller shows up once last season after he allegedly called Yorvit Torrealba a bad word. Inasmuch as Yorvit Torrealba is not in the World Series, I think we?re cool here.

Ultimately, though, the ?only experienced umps in the World Series? thing last year is a kind of dumb. Joe West has all kinds of experience and he stinks on ice. Whether they?re pups or graybeards, just make sure they?re the ones most likely to get the calls right, cool? I mean, at least until we have replay and don?t have to cross our fingers and make a wish in order to ensure that important stuff isn?t blown in big games.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg