USA v Portugal, Wed 5 June 10am BST

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
I think a lot of people are looking at this game as the one to hit pretty hard in the group stages. I know little about the US national side other than they are pretty bad. From what I have seen they are a fairly negative side that will try and play out a low-scoring draw. I've seen quite a lot of Friedal, Joe-Max Moore and Reyna as they play in England and class them as solid club players. I would have to seriously question their potential on the World stage though. How do these 3 compare with the rest of the side? Best price I can find thus far is 1/2. A lot of chalk but could prove the value of the week. All input greatly appreciated.

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
I just see a win of Portugal in this game!! Portugal is a potency!! while U.S.A. just did something good at home and with a collage of players.

U.S.A. was been tought, but is a world cup, and the big team should win!!! I see soooooo far like a player a draw, never a win of U.S.A. :D

Good luck!!

Javier :D

SeanB

Forum Member
May 19, 2002
Wash DC
Port/USA

Port/USA

What a hard game to predict, I watch the US team all the time, and cannot get a feel for this team. I do know that they are horrible off USA soil, but WC is supposedly a neutral site. I see a draw, or a FIGO Hat trick. If Port has physical defense, I also see the 98 lb Beasley getting beaten the heck up.

Red White and Blue is nice, but $$GREEN$$ is better. Lets go Portugal.:Yep:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Portugal coach Antonio Oliveira says his side go into the World Cup in confident mood, but insists they will take opening opponents USA seriously.

Portugal go into the Group D game in Suwon as hot favourites.

They reached the semi-finals of Euro 2000 and are ranked fifth in the world, whereas the United States lost each of their games at the 1998 World Cup.

But Oliveira said: "We will respect the United States and will seek to be better than them. But, I repeat, that will be extremely difficult.

"They are a very strong side - they have a lot of experience in World Cups.

"It's a side which I have no doubt will be very fit and has prepared itself very well physically.

"They have some players who have made a lot of progress technically and who will naturally try their best to upset the theoretical favourites."

But Oliveira admitted that his side go into the game in good form and highly confident.

"If we are on top form, our players are in the right frame of mind and we manage to come through without any major injuries, we can match any opponent," he said.

"We are not wary of any team, even those considered the best."

World Player of the Year Luis Figo and playmaker Rui Costa have recovered a series of niggling injuries that hampered both of them toward the end of their club seasons.

"They're fine. We have medical reports daily which indicate that our players are fully fit," Oliveira said.

"Both players are on top form and ready to be picked."

Rui Costa started the season by breaking his hand, damaged an ankle before Easter and suffered a thigh injury at the end of the season.

But he has been in full training with the rest of the squad since they gathered in Macao last month.

Figo had to be substituted while playing for Real Madrid in the Champions League final last month and played only 15 minutes of a friendly against China on 25 May.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probable team:

Portugal: (4-1-3-2)

Vitor Baia; Nuno Frechaut, Jorge Costa, Fernando Couto, Rui Jorge; Armando Petit; Sergio Conceicao, Rui Costa, Luis Figo; Joao Pinto, Pauleta.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Luis Figo has provided Portugal with a massive boost by declaring himself fit to take on the USA on Wednesday.

The 29-year-old Real Madrid midfielder has been struggling with an injured left ankle since February.

But, speaking at a news conference on Tuesday, he said: "I've had two months' rest and the ankle's fine.

"I will go out against the United States and prove that it's okay."

USA coach Bruce Arena has injury concerns over midfielder Claudio Reyna and striker Clint Mathis.

Mathis, who plays for the New York/New Jersey MetroStars, is still recovering from a serious knee injury suffered last year.

Sunderland's Reyna said: "I'm still improving but no decision will be made until some time on Wednesday."

Arena will have to pick between Friedel and Tottenham's Kasey Keller in goal, though the Blackburn keeper is favourite to get the nod.

Impressive qualifiers Portugal are strong favourites to win but the American side won the last encounter between the two sides, 10 years ago.

That game in the US Cup - a rehearsal for the 1994 World Cup - was the only previous meeting not to have been a completely friendly affair.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH PREVIEW STATISTICS

USC = US Cup
F = Friendly International

FIXTURE HISTORY

DATE COMP MATCH RESULT
20 Sep 1978 F Portugal 1-0 USA
07 Oct 1980 F Portugal 1-1 USA
19 Dec 1990 F Portugal 1-0 USA
03 Jun 1992 USC USA 1-0 Portugal

MATCH SHORTS

The United States enter their seventh World Cup, having reached the semi-finals on their debut in 1930.
Portugal make their third World Cup appearance and their first since 1986. Their best result is a third place in 1966.
This is the fifth encounter between both nations. Portugal have won two of the previous encounters and the United States have won once.
United States players Tony Meola and Eddie Pope can win respectively their 100th and 50th caps.
The United States recorded their last World Cup victory on June 22, 1994, when they beat Colombia (2-1).
South Korea and Japan join the United States as the only nations outside Europe and South America to host the World Cup.
Seven players in the Portugal squad played at Sporting CP last season, the club which won the Portuguese domestic title.
Some 600 security personnel, including sharpshooters, were present at Incheon airport on May 24 awaiting the arrival of the 36 man strong United States delegation.
Portugal have scored at least once in each of their last 23 competitive matches.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Jorgesca

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Mexico
Portugal comes to this world cup very sharp, they will play any team tight and i think they will win this game. but the US wont go from this WC without winning a game and thats what scares me. i know they are not the best team or are in the same level with Portugal but they should be very focused on advancing to the second round or at leat winning a game.

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
Why is Portugal considered so good by so many here?

Why is Portugal considered so good by so many here?

I don't follow any nation's league and only read about the international play during world cup qualifying and that's only limited to standings and scores.

My question is: Why is Portugal considered so powerful?

They're group in the UEFA First Round consisted of : Ireland, Netherlands, Estonia, Cyprus, and Andorra. I would expect that the Irish and the Dutch team are good, but aren't the others dogs? Portugal had one win and three draws against the good teams in their group and they are considered huge favorites against the US who has beaten Mexico and Costa Rica (two WC winners, so far)?

Also, The World Rankings rank the US 13th? Why wouldn't this be a good indication of their talent level?

All of the above are true questions because I don't have the slightest clue to their answers nor do I know where to get the questions answered.

GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
I took this article from SportingLife. I think it poses a good contrarian view to proceedings:

"In 1991, Portugal won the World Youth Cup with a group of players including the now-familiar names of Luis Figo, Rui Costa, Joao Pinto and Jorge Costa.

In the subsequent 11 years, the national side have won nothing. They lost to France in the Euro 2000 semi-final after a penalty in extra-time following victories over England, Romania, Germany and Turkey.

There is no doubt that the Portuguese possess some of the most audaciously talented footballers in the game, but Antonio Oliveira has to turn the raw skill into teamwork and commitment. Surprisingly, this is only the national side's third World Cup campaign.

Portugal are heavily odds-on to top their group and proceed to a possible all-Iberian quarter-final against Spain, but to do so, they have to rely on the enigmatic Luis Figo being on top of his game.

Reigning World Footballer of the Year Figo was comprehensively upstaged by Real Madrid team-mate Zinedine Zidane in the Champions League final, and has a tendency to drift in and out of games.

Make no mistake, if the Portuguese are not all pulling in the same direction, the consequences could be very embarrassing and a first round exit would almost certainly spell the end for this generation of players.

A 4-1 home defeat against Finland does not bode well for this tournament, although to be fair, that Figo-less performance was the Portuguese's only loss in the last two years.

Liverpool defender Abel Xavier is unlikely to be involved in Wednesday's clash after injuring his thigh in training, while Daniel Kenedy has been suspended by the Portuguese Football Federation after failing a drug test.

The USA meanwhile, qualified principally as a result of the qualification procedure guaranteeing half its entrants in the Concacaf section a place in the World Cup Finals. The fact that the States scored only 11 goals in their ten games against Costa Rica, Mexico, Honduras, Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago says as much about FIFA's regulations as the North Americans' ability.

Coach Bruce Arena believes that the group his team has been drawn in gives the United States a good chance of progressing, but Poland and joint-hosts South Korea will provide tough tests as both sides are enjoying a good run of form.

It is hard to see the Americans getting anything from this game. The Portuguese have the ability to beat the very best nations and Arena's men are unlikely to provide too tough a test. It would be foolish to write them off completely, however, given that Portugal can sometimes be their own worst enemies. If they play like they did against the Finns, the United States stand a real chance.

At a best-price 1/2, Portugal cannot be trusted. They should win comfortably, but we have seen so far this tournament that highly motivated underdogs can surprise the more fancied teams. While teams like Argentina and Italy have the discipline to see off the lesser teams, Portugal cannot be relied on to do so and may end up qualifying the hard way."

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
BBC, as far as I am aware, Fifa World Rankings are based only on competitve matches played. The USA were in the CONCACAF qualifying group. This is by far the easiest group to qualify from in the world. Therefore you pick up a lot of points for beating bad teams. If you were in the group Portugal had to qualify from you would have got zero points and thus Americas position in the World rankings would be more realistic. I hope this clears it up.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
USA coach Bruce Arena admits he has little idea of how to stop Portugal in their Group D match on Wednesday.

Portugal, inspired by Luis Figo, are ranked fifth in the world and are hot favourites to win a group that also includes South Korea and Poland.

"I haven't been able to detect a weakness in Portugal," Arena confessed at a news conference in Seoul on Tuesday.

"The thing that stands out with them is their great attacking quality.

"It's the combination of players - not just one or two players.

Arena admitted he did not have a special plan to stop the Portuguese in Suwon.

"What we do on Wednesday is not going to be radically different from anything we've done in the past," he admitted.

"The first 15 minutes will probably be cautious for both teams and then perhaps the game will open up."

USA midfielder John O'Brien said his side were determined to improve on their showing in the 1998 World Cup, where they had the worst record of all 32 teams, losing each one of their group games.

"I think US teams more recently have been going to big tournaments hoping to prove something, whereas in the past just participating was enough," O'Brien said.

"So I want to see our team do real well. If we do that I think the fans in America will start following the sport more and enjoying it more."

Sunderland midfielder Claudio Reyna, who is suffering from a strained right quadricep muscle, is a major doubt for the USA.

Arena admitted Reyna was crucial to his side.

"If Claudio's on the field we certainly believe he's going to help us win," he said.

Probable team:

USA: (4-1-3-2)

Kasey Keller; Tony Sanneh, Eddie Pope, Jeff Agoos, Frankie Hejduk; Claudio Reyna; Earnie Stewart, John O'Brien, DaMarcus Beasley; Brian McBride, Clint Mathis.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
I'm 80% convinced Portugal are going to come through this game without to much trouble. I would have hit it harder but Figo's form has been poor and is the only nagging doubt. They do though have plenty elsewhere to compensate and should prove their superiority.

Portugal 1/2 @ Stanley 2.5 Units win.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
Two of the most recognizable names on the U.S. squad sheet may be missing from the final eleven for the North American outsiders? Group D opener with European powerhouse Portugal on 5 June in Suwon. However, the side remains driven by the steam of a brave team spirit, oozing solidarity.
25-year-old goal machine Clint Mathis is rumoured to be far from match fit, and suffering the after-effects of a year-old knee injury, while captain and Sunderland man Claudio Reyna is ailing with the latest in a long line of niggling war wounds.

As Reyna - dubbed ?Captain America? - is struggling with an aching right thigh muscle, Clint Mathis of Major League Soccer?s New York/New Jersey MetroStars and perhaps the finest goal-threat for the States, is in considerable pain with a swollen knee.

As Reyna is widely considered the U.S.? most credible midfield creator and Mathis the chief striker, the duo?s fitness doubts could conceivably do severe damage to the US? hunt for credibility following a disastrous FIFA World Cup France 1998?.

Alleged Mathis indiscipline

Just days ago US boss Bruce Arena yet again criticized the training habits of the brash and bold Mathis, citing a lack of professionalism and discipline.

?In the next couple of years, if Clint really wants to move forward, he has got to bend a little bit towards conforming to the way professionals on big clubs have to act," claimed the straight-faced U.S. boss about the striker known for a killer?s instinct in front of goal, a down-home Southern drawl, and a practical joker?s sensibility.

The new injury questions come fast on the heels of the loss of midfield destroyer Chris Armas in a friendly with Uruguay just weeks before setting sail for the Far East.

?Playing for each other, fighting for each other?

But as the U.S.? two great hopes for some long-elusive success look doubtful for full service in the opener with European powers Portugal, the side are putting their faith in a brand of uncompromising team spirit so successful for some of the other smaller sides in Korea/Japan.

?That's one of our strongest points, playing for each other and fighting for each other," remarked midfielder John O?Brien who plays his club football with Ajax Amsterdam.

Portugal too find themselves in a spot of injury bother ahead of the clash with the United States, as Liverpool defender Abel Xavier will be on the bench recovering from an injury of his own. Midfield sensation Paulo Sousa may also be out of the squad.

Antonio Oliveira and his heavily favoured Portugal side are not looking past the unfancied U.S . "Practice is always different," defender Beto Severo commented recently. "There are no longer any teams that are winners before they come on to the pitch."

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
SUWON, South Korea (AP) -- Cautious and defensive, or bold and attacking?

After five days of watching other teams play, Portugal's golden generation on Wednesday makes its long-awaited debut on the world stage in its group D opening game against the United States.

And it's crunch time for tactical decisions.

In a squad that includes some of Europe's top talent, Portugal coach Antonio Oliveira has to decide whether to deploy his side's fearsome attack or heed the lesson of France's upset defeat in the World Cup opening match and proceed with caution. Portugal goes into the game as firm favorite.

"We've seen some situations so far [in the World Cup] where the prey has caught the predator," Oliveira said, referring to the France vs. Senegal result.

"We've got to watch we don't get caught out."

Though Portugal, ranked fifth in the world, looks to be the best side on paper, world player of the year Luis Figo dismisses talk of an easy encounter.

"Being favorites in theory means nothing. In practice we can lose the game," the Real Madrid star said. "In a World Cup the outcome of matches is unpredictable."

The United States is ranked 13th in the world and has yet to stamp its mark on world soccer.

Since returning to the World Cup in 1990 after a 40-year absence, the Americans have gone 1-8-1, including losses to Germany, Iran and Yugoslavia at the 1998 tournament in France where they finished last.

The Americans won their most recent match-up against Portugal, in 1992, 1-0. Portugal beat them 1-0 in 1990 in Portugal.

Also, this is Portugal's first appearance in the tournament since 1986.

"The U.S. has more World Cup experience than us, and they've beaten us before," Figo warned.

Fernando Couto, the Portuguese captain who has 82 caps, says the Portuguese are wary of American muscle.

"They're a very physical team and they can create a lot of problems for us," the central defender said. "Their strikers are very quick and move around well."

Oliveira has to gauge whether to play with two defensive midfielders or just one.

The coach has kept his cards close to his chest, holding closed training sessions over the past three days. He will tell the players who he's picked only on the day of the game.

The question is, does he field Sporting Lisbon's Paulo Bento alongside Armando Petit of Boavista in front of the defense, or just Petit behind a three-man attacking midfield?

Figo and AC Milan's midfield maestro Rui Costa are likely to start, but they could be joined by Internazionale of Milan's Sergio Conceicao if Bento doesn't play and Oliveira wants to pressure the Americans.

Up front, Bordeaux striker Pedro Pauleta, top scorer in France last season and voted best player in that country, is certain to start.

Just behind Pauleta will be "shadow striker" Joao Pinto who has been on top form for Sporting Lisbon.

Fiorentina of Italy's Nuno Gomes probably will start on the subs' bench but could add extra weight to the attack if needed.

As the tension has grown over the past few days, Portugal has stressed the need to start its campaign with a win.

"We aim to grow from game to game after starting well. Getting three points on Wednesday is very important," Costa said.

Oliveira's game plan may be conditioned by the fitness of his star players. Both Figo and Costa are coming off layoffs due to injury and, though they have recovered, there are doubts about their match fitness.

The Americans are worrying about injuries to key players. Both captain Claudio Reyna and star attacker Clint Mathis are in doubt for the game.

If Mathis isn't available the United States could open its campaign with its two youngest players, DaMarcus Beasley and Landon Donovan, both 20.

Coach Bruce Arena is widely expected to start Brad Friedel in goal; Jeff Agoos and Eddie Pope as central defenders; Tony Sanneh and either David Regis or Frankie Hejduk as outside defenders; Claudio Reyna and John O'Brien as defensive midfielders; Earnie Stewart and DaMarcus Beasley as outside midfielders; and Mathis and Brian McBride up front.

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
I luv Portugal tomr AM. At -250 is a lot to lay.But my 2 big plays so far have been Argentina and Italy.Have split with the smaller plays.
I have a few prop bets with Portugal.One to win the Group D and one to win it all.
Portugal is loaded.Everyone knows that.If Portugal plays to their level they will beat the US.
Figo is the FIFA player of the yr.Rui Costa and Gomez are outstanding.Pauletta led the french league in scoring.There defense is outstanding with stars.This team is so loaded that 19 yr old sensation Quaresma didn't make the team.He would be the best player for the US.Portugal is considerd one of the top 5 teams in the world.Many experts have them making the semi's.A few the finals.
They do have the talent to play with Italy,Argentina,etc.Figo has been banged up but he says he's ready tomr.

US team is going thru major problems as I type.Goalkeeper problems,status of Reyna and Mathis.If they don't play tomr.then the lineup is so uncertain.Players are shifting positions,etc
Even if Reyna could play the US is in trouble.W/O Reyna who scores.They have no offense.In the qualifers they scored 11 goals in 10 games.And Portugal has one of the best goalies in the world in Baia.
Portugal blew the Euro-2000 to france.This team is called the "Golden Generation".Figo and co 10 yrs ago won the Jr cup.
They will not take the US lightly.But the midfielders of Portugal will control the game and win 2-0 or 3-0.US team in WC games since 1990 is 1-8-1 and has "scored just 1 goal while losing 5 in a row."

Don't even think US coach Arena will play Reyna and concede game 1.Reyna has a thigh injury.Why risk him in this game. Reyna is "the glue of the team".Even Mathis is in the doghouse with his coach.
Big luv play on Portugal.Laying "mucho dinero" but cannot see a draw or an upset.Portugal wins....... Great info here. GL to everyone

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
Xavier misses Portugal's opening match

Abel Xavier is out of Portugal's World Cup opener against the USA on Wednesday.

The Liverpool defender suffered a thigh strain in training and had a scan in Seoul.

That revealed a small rupture which will sideline for at least the USA clash.

The team doctor estimates Xavier will be sidelined for eight to 10 days making him doubtful for the game against Poland in Jeonju on June 10.

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
Portugal's Rui Costa hopes to unsettle defences in the World Cup the same way he did in the 2000 European championship.
Playmaker Rui Costa set up a header for Joao Pinto which was crucial in turning an early 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 victory over England two years ago.

Portugal were knocked out by a golden goal penalty for a controversial Abel Xavier handball in a semi-final against eventual winners France.

Player profile: Rui Costa

"Sadness remains over the way we were knocked out, but we are also proud of what we achieved," said Rui Costa.

The team is determined to do well in this tournament, which is the last chance to shine for Portugal's "golden boys," who were world youth champions in 1991.

They include the Fifa player of the year Luis Figo, fresh from winning the Champions League with Real Madrid, Lazio star Fernando Couto, and English premier league defenders Jorge Costa and Xavier.

Rui Costa missed much of the season with injury

"We believe this is a great opportunity, because no Portuguese side has ever gone to a World Cup with as much credit as this one," Rui Costa said.

Rui Costa has had a frustrating season plagued by injuries at AC Milan.

He has also had to miss many of Portugal's World Cup warm-up games.

But he has joined in full training sessions held first in Macao and now under tight security at Seoul's Military Academy.

"I feel fine, I am going well, I've forced myself along with my team-mates so that we can reach peak fitness," Rui Costa added.

Player profile: Joao Pinto
Striker Joao Pinto's own fitness and form have not been in doubt during one of his finest domestic seasons, in which his Sporting Lisbon side landed a league and cup double.

Rui Costa said he could barely wait for their first group D clash against the United States in Suwon on Wednesday.

"It's controlled anxiety. We are more anxious now than in Macao, and are waiting for our turn," said Rui Costa.

"But we're experienced players, we can handle anxiety."

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg