USF REPORT

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

alienx

Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Tampa FL USA
Bulls begin by facing old wound
USF is out for revenge against Fordham as it begins its pursuit of a postseason berth.
By PETE YOUNG
? St. Petersburg Times,
published November 19, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA -- Because it is the opening game of the season, it's an automatic adrenaline rush. But South Florida should be extra juiced to play Fordham: The Rams kicked the Bulls' butts last season.

Tonight at 7:30 at the Sun Dome, USF tips off a season in which it plans to return to postseason play against an opponent it is eager to inflict revenge upon. Last season, on Dec. 2 at Fordham, the Rams beat the Bulls 81-72.

Fordham's leading scorer, Bevon Robin, who had 24 points against USF last season, has departed, but most of the team returns. Senior center Duke Freeman-McKamey (6-10, 240 pounds) had 13 points in last season's meeting, and sophomore forward Jeff McMillan (6-8, 250), who averaged 10 points and 7.8 rebounds as a freshman, had 16 and 11 against USF.

"McMillan really hurt us," said USF coach Seth Greenberg, whose team cut a 20-point deficit to four against Fordham before fading in the final minute. "He's a big body, he's mobile ... we've got to keep him off the glass."

Fordham opened its season last week in the preseason NIT, losing to DePaul 70-61 in Rockford, Ill. McMillan had 16 points and 15 rebounds.

Having a game under its belt could be an advantage for the Rams, who are picked to finish fourth in the Atlantic 10 by the Sporting News.

"You hate to play a team that's already got one under their belt," Greenberg said.

Nonetheless, Greenberg likes the way USF has practiced.

"I think we're playing pretty good basketball. We're starting to get a feel for the offense," he said. "We've got some good competition going.

"Greg Brittian and Kelvin Brown are really competing at the small forward spot. Reggie (Kohn) and Brian Swift are really competing at the point. Marlyn Bryant and Jimmy Baxter are competing for the minutes that Altron Jackson doesn't play, and I think Terrence (Leather) and Brandon Brigman are competing for the minutes that B.B. Waldon doesn't play.

"Then you've got (centers) Will (McDonald) and Gerrick (Morris), hopefully making each other better and being the two-headed monster. ... That competition makes for good practices and spirited practices and makes our team better."

Senior stalwart forwards Waldon and Jackson will start with junior college transfer guard/forward Brittian, who is back from a brief academic suspension, and point guard Kohn. Morris or McDonald will be the fifth starter, and both figure to play extensively as USF tries to limit McMillan and Freeman-McKamey in the paint.

Senior center Mike Bernard is nearly recuperated from offseason shoulder surgery but is serving an NCAA suspension until early December. Brown, possibly the best of the four USF freshmen, served a two-game academic suspension in the preseason but should see action early tonight.

Fordham is coached by former NBA coach Bob Hill, who is 26-32 his first two seasons with the Rams. Hill coached the New York Knicks, Indiana Pacers and San Antonio Spurs for 11 seasons, and he was an assistant with the Orlando Magic in 1993-94.

Fordham uses an eight-man rotation, and two sophomores and a freshman form the backcourt. USF's ability to force turnovers by the inexperienced Rams guards with its pressure defense could be the key.

Greenberg said he and his team, which was 18-13 last season and missed the NCAA Tournament and NIT, are eager to get started.

"It's kind of strange watching games on TV and not being able to play," Greenberg said. "I think our players now are kind of getting the itch. It's good that we're hungry to play."

------------------

Hope this helps. I'm still debating. 13 points is alot of points for a team that beat USF last year. And w/ the exception of one big gun they are returning most of their starters. Wondering what the line makers cooking for us here.

Cabo

Oil Worker
Forum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Marietta/Anchorage
alienx, thanks for the info! I really like the Bulls to cover the pts. I did however jump on it early and got it at 12.5. I see that the line is now up to 13.5. I feel that
with this game being played in S.Fla,that the
Bulls with revenge on their and the fact that
Fordham lost most of their talent will beat them by 17 to 19pts. They definitely have the talent..Cabo...