VD's Preview: Atlanta Falcons

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
Last Year:

Just like a powerless hot dog inches away from Takeru Kobayashi?s mouth, swallowing the Green Bay Packers? unblemished home playoff record was just another fulfillment along Michael Vick?s trail to success. Though a labored road loss in Philadelphia the following week ended the Falcons? 2002 season, thanks to the creative paws of their breathtaking offensive leader, few teams were more feared heading into the off-season. As the aspirations and expectancies ballooned with every clip of Michael Vick on the practice field, it wasn?t until an early August exhibition game that the dreams of a breakout season deflated faster than Martha Stewart?s stock. After a catastrophic fracture of number seven?s right fibula, the Falcons? camp tried to convince NFL aficionados to buy into backup quarterback Doug Johnson. Even with a week one win at Dallas, most people didn?t need Peter Bacanovic?s advice to sell our beliefs in the Falcons? playoff chances. The team crutched to a 1-10 record in the following eleven weeks until their savior returned, accompanying them to a 3-1 finish. With an encouraging close to 2003 it?s time for the Falcons to once again stand on their two feet.

What we Learned from Last Year:

Although the reasoning for painting an extra red stripe on the Dirty Bird?s helmets at the commencement of last season was initially unclear, effortless elucidations can be made between a bleeding bird and the wounded season that the team experienced minus their star. One scarring question still lingers: Is the hallowed Michael Vick the transcendent cause of success for the Atlanta Falcons? Is he the only lead singer of this band? The answer is yes. It is blatantly obvious to anyone with eye-sight that Mr. Vick and his incomparable talent give this team an opportunity to win any, and every time he steps on the field, but what does that mere concept connote to the partners on the team? Blinding forty-yard bullets, and fluid hundred-meter sprints are replayed on every tube in North America, but on top of his unique abilities, it?s a couple of invisible crafts that really gatorade this team to succeed. With him in the lineup, teammates observe how he lays his body on the line, sacrificing pain for the benefit of others. As a player wearing a common pullover, you realize that your lamb chops better be moving just as hard so that your effort, or lack thereof, is not the justification for why the team fell short of their common goal. His guidance and exertion gives the unit a belief in victory, and when a win is a realistic possibility, players will use their adrenalin or act beyond their regular means if necessary, to come out on top. When Vick was forced out of the lineup words such as confidence and momentum were rapidly erased from the Falcons? vocabulary, and surrendering became the regular expression. Knowing the probability of defeating opponents with Doug Johnson calling the shots was enough for Atlanta to admit defeat. No on-looker, Falcon doting or not, can say with a straight face that the energy level of the bunch with Vick at the helm was identical to the packed-in suitcases that were on the field without him. Faith is what tells Roseanne to wear that exotic colored high-cut skirt, faith is what dressed up the Carolina Panthers from NFL lowlifes into a Super Bowl contender, and faith is what morphs the Falcons from 5-11 to NFC challenger. Michael Vick is the Falcons? faith.

At the end of the day, is this squad a first-rate Super Bowl contender? There are a few defensive liabilities, and a couple of other positions that could use polishing, but the vital piece of information to pull from last season is how Michael Vick transforms the face of this team simply with his presence.

What Has Changed?:

Bringing the West-Coast to the Dirty South is something that has been explored in rap music with collaborations between Snoop Dogg and Ludacris but Atlanta fans are hoping that this NFL transition is an even bigger hit. Out goes Dan Reeves, and in comes Jim Mora Jr., former defensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers. With him he brings amendments to the attacking strategy as the West-Coast offense will be the new playbook handed out. This type of offense is based on numerous short timing routes, and hasty quarterback decisions. More importantly, this genre of play-calling is emphasized to keep Michael Vick in the pocket but that?s like desiring a platonic relationship with Cameron Diaz. Although those decisions may not reap all the benefits, new offensive coordinator Greg Knapp wants to encourage intelligent choices in the pocket while maintaining improvisation and creativity to fashion plays outside of the pocket. The idea of for Mike to be a true decision maker between the tackles and to read defenses before the snap is not something that he has been accustomed to in the past. Don?t expect him to be in a fixed position much of the season, but if he can get a grasp of the curt passing game it will help relieve much stress off the O-line and keep a clean bill of health for himself.

"This year, my goal is to balance it out, run when I have to," Vick said. "But my main goal is to develop to become one of the top quarterbacks in this league. I want my completion percentage to be over 60 percent. I don't want to be running all day and taking the punishment I was taking in the past because it was wear and tear, and we saw what happened last year in the preseason."

With a couple of new receivers, and a fit Warrick Dunn, the offense should be free flowing once again. Peerless Price looked out of place on Michael Vick scrambles in the few games they shared last year but he should be a prime beneficiary from the West-Coast offense. Dez White, and Michael Jenkins have been recruited to draw attention away from Peerless, and with the lanky Brian Finneran, Vick has the targets he needs.

For a team that toiled to stop opponents defensively, the new regime has installed a 4-3 system in attempts to upgrade their dead last rank. Much of the press coverage has highlighted the gaps in the secondary which were immediately addressed by the Falcons? additions of Jason Webster, Aaron Beasley, and DeAngelo Hall, but the sullen defensive line has not been so lucky. An immediate impact is expected from the new cornerbacks but in a division that boasts Deuce McAllister, Mike Alstott and Stephen Davis, the Falcons will need improved play from their front seven.

After the disastrous injury stamped on last season, the Falcons are taking plenty precautions to ensure that the #7 jersey stays clean this go around but the true boiling point for the Falcons will be to protect Michael Vick without limiting his utilities.

O/U 8.5:

If the Falcons can tip-toe through this season devoid of devastation, then reaching the playoffs will always be a prospect. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are incessantly a pain for Vick, but the Carolina Panthers have been quite the opposite. The annual family shootout is always entertaining when the Saint come marching in, so anything less than three divisional wins will be a disappointment. With the rest of the schedule being: @SF, STL, ARZ, DET, SD, @KC, @DEN, @NYG, OAK, @SEA winning nine games can be attained with Federer ease as long as the brain and body are in sync for this team.

Fantasy Sleeper:

If you?re looking to nab a quiet player on this team, have a look at 3rd year runner T.J. Duckett. He?s averaged 4-yards a carry in his career, and considering the team wants to protect their prize possession, what better way to take some pressure off? Look for Duckett get bonus touches in the red-zone at first, and then he?ll carry the load once Warrick Dunn goes on his yearly vacation on the DL.

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
VD

Just a few comments

The Falcons have stated that Vick may be held out of Pre-season games quite a bit.

And Vick will be learning the new West Coast offense. Good thinking there. More concern
about filling seats in the regular season than preparing a young QB to a new system.

"I want my completion percentage to be over 60 percent. I don't want to be running all day and taking the punishment I was taking in the past because it was wear and tear, and we saw what happened last year in the preseason."

No way in hell Vick gets 60% completions. Vick will get 1000 yards rushing before
that ever happens. Vick can drill a pass but he is prone to put it where no one can catch
it. Even his own players. And his first instinct is always to turn on the jets. That aint the
way Steve Young and Joe Montana made reads and won so many games in the West
Coast offense.

TJ Duckett is a head case. I wouldn't put any confidence in Duckett. Reeves had him in and out of the doghouse alot as TJ don't mind the Sunday games he just don't like to practice hard. That urks most coachs. Lets see if the new Falcons coach and Gen Mgr will put up with it. Oh I forgot there aint anyone else besides Duckett.

Second year fullback Griffith is a player to watch. He should show vast improvement and Falcons will try to get him more passes out of the backfield.

Warrick Dunn knee is suspect and its questionable that he will ever return to the speed he
had in past years. My opinion is Dunn is past his prime. But Dunn has a big contract and was chosen by the owner. Something tells me that Dunn will play alot.
There is no replacement for Dunn either. He was also pissed about playing time and Vick not giving him the ball. He sulked first half of the year and then got injured. Veterans that do that are hard on team morale. I believe he relinquished team captain title when he was injured.

Vick stated in March 2004 that he forgot to ice his injured ankle as instructed by his trainers and said his ankle still hurt him.

DUH !

What kind of a Pro NFL player forgets the prescribed treatment by his trainers for his livelihood. ? Maybe one with a multi-year contract guaranteed
And I can't help but bring this up again this year. When Chris Chandler was QB and Mike Vick was a rookie, there was a fight in the stands when Vicks family, mama , sisters, etc cheered for Chandler to get hurt so rookie Mike could get in the game. Just so happened Chris Chandlers wife was sitting in front of them. There were many hard feelings. There are still
players on the Falcons that remember that happening.

The apple don't fall far from the tree if you get my drift.

Injured ankle still hurting a year later. OK Mike whatever. Milk it and when you don't feel like practicing again this year, you can use that to get off early. Tie that in with few reps
during Pre-season and Falcons should be thrilling to watch again this year. Well maybe not the team but at least we can watch Vick run for the goal line.

Vick also forgot to read the book on leadership Dan Reeves gave him after he was fired last year. Vick didnt get the hint.

Vick said he would try to read it during the off season, if he could fit it in
past playing his play station football game. Vick wouldn't recognize leadership if it
snuck up behind him and bit him on the ass.

Hopefully Madden 2004 has West Coast offense teams so maybe Vick will learn the offense
on his Play Station since they are holding him out of pre-season.

When Vick was asked on V103 in Atlanta if he was gay, he did not deny it. He responded
that those close to him knew how he rolled. wtf ? Funny thing is Vick don't have a girlfriend and as far as anyone knows hasnt been linked to one.

Maybe thats why he was secretly wanting the old Pittsburgh QB to back him up.
Take a few snaps from up under center.

Falcons defense should be improved over Big Play Ray era, but will they will lose more games than they win in 2004.

Other than that, good write up.

Last edited:

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
It seems to me that by teaching Michael Vick the west-coast offense (or trying to anyways), that this team would rather use 65% of his abilities and not be as concerned for his injuries rather than use 100% of his abilities and wait for him to get hurt.

He's been a leader (by example) for this team because of his courageous antics on the field. I don't know if the team will rallying around him nearly as much if he stays in the pocket alot longer, and makes poor throws. Michael Vick has a canon of an arm, but he was not drafted, and was never known as a prototypical passer. By trying to change him this team threatens limiting his talent which will directly affect the team's success.

As for V103, I guess Mike isn't really a "prototypical passer" on and off the field if you know what I'm saying. But I guess he definitely loves being under Center.

I can smell it, football season is near.

P.S. The Falcons do have a very soft schedule...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
Vegas Dave said:
Michael Vick has a canon of an arm, but he was not drafted, and was never known as a prototypical passer. By trying to change him this team threatens limiting his talent which will directly affect the team's success.

I can smell it, football season is near.

P.S. The Falcons do have a very soft schedule...
..................................................................................

Exactamundo. The Falcons are trying to turn Vick into something that he is not and
never will be. The question is how long will it take the Falcons to figure that out ?
Vick will probably be hurt before it starts to show. Then the WCO experiment will linger
on for a few years of losing.

Steve Young, Joe Montano, and Mike Vick......yeh right

I smell football season also. Can't wait.

Not sure if the soft schedule will help the Falcons win 8 games.