VLNC up 20% today. Now what?

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Still very new to semi-aggressive trading. Caught my first biggie today. Bought Valence Technologies a week ago. They are at the forefront of large lithium-ion batteries, which seems to be the wave of the future for hybrid cars. After GM went begging to congress for funding of this technology, I figured it was time to pickup this stock at $1.56. The company still isn't profitable, but they hold all kinds of patents and are clearly the company to benefit most (as of now) from this new technology. The had some big test for California agencies today + a non-dissappointing earnings report shot the stock up all in the last hour of trading.

So what do you guys usually do in a situation like this? The valuation is still pretty poor on this company. I imagine they'll be some profit taking tomorrow. But the stock is still only $1.89 - lots of upside still.

Any advice is appreciated, and no pressure on making perfect advice. I'm here to learn! ....And I guess I'll post some of these prospects from now on too. Just wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing first.

s_dooley24

Forum Member
Jun 22, 2005
I'm assuming (hoping) you made this purchase with some speculation capital and not a large portion of your portfolio....if that is the case I say let it run and take profits north of 50% if/when you reach those heights.

20% is obvoiusly a nice pop for a day, but would you be thinking as hard about taking the money off the table if this stock had risen the same 20% over the course of the last week?

Last edited:

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
20% is obvoiusly a nice pop for a day, but would you be thinking as hard about taking the money off the table if this stock had risen the same 20% over the course of the last week?
No, I wouldn't. In fact, I really didn't think anything would happen much with this stock for a while. Yeah - it was just a regular purchase - so no make or break either way. I guess I'll just see how it comes out of the gate tomorrow. Thanks for the advice....

Bet on MyBookie