Wednesday ball - Duke tonight

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

GreyStreet

Forum Member
Nov 10, 2003
Baltimore, MD
Back from a trip to Atlantic City playing poker.

Tonight, Duke takes on Maryland in what should be a good game.

I recommend going with:

Duke - 4 5 units
under 151.5 3 units

Duke to win and under 155.5 10 units
Maryland +8 and under 155.5 2 units

This should be a low scoring affair. Duke, the best team in the country, features its best all-around defensive team since 98-99. Maryland has trouble scoring, as they have a talented but young and inexperienced team. Expect a pace closer to Maryland's game against Wisconsin than the scoring festival against North Carolina.

Duke has an advantage because they are experienced (by today's standards) and balanced. You can shut down any one player, but there are others who can pick up the slack. Duke entered the Comcast Center last year as the #1 team but got embarrased by a very good Maryland team. This year will be different, as last year's immature freshmen are some of this year's best players in the land, J.J. Redick and the Landlord Shelden Williams. Freshman Luol Deng, who plays like anything but, will also be a key difference even if he doesn't score a lot of points. Deng changes the game by doing just about everything... defense, passing, and rebounding.

Duke must key their defense around stopping John Gilchrist; without Gilchrist scoring, Maryland does not have a go-to guy. Look for Coach K to hound Gilchrsit with senior Chris Duhon, playing by far the best basketball of his career, and Sean Dockery, the best on the ball defender in the country. Duhon and Dockery hounded Chris Paul last game. The result: Paul fouled out, was a non-factor on offense, and had one steal. Why is the one steal significant? Because Paul was the leading player in steals... in the entire country.

If Duke can find some success feeding the ball inside to Shelden Williams, this game could turn out to be a blowout, as Duke's perimeter game would open up and Redick and Daniel Ewing would have a field day shooting from long-range. Expect a close first half, with Duke taking control in the second half. Win or lose, Duke will play great defense and they control their own destiny on the offensive end. Maryland can win if they involve their entire offense and execute their half court offense to perfection, in addition to using their depth inside to stop Williams, Deng, and Shavlik Randolph. Win or lose, Duke will keep this game close by keeping the points off the board.

Just like my UNC play, I like Duke to win this game, but if they do not, I will be doubling up when Maryland comes to Cameron. I can't guarantee a Duke win or a cover, but I like the value in the play... going with the best team in the country playing great basketball.

Good luck tonight!

Grey

Last edited:

GreyStreet

Forum Member
Nov 10, 2003
Baltimore, MD
:thefinger

Almost swept tonight, hope people jumped on the Duke train tonight and made some easy money. Fun game to watch. My gut tells me Duke might have a slight let-down game against Georgetown but we'll see. Back later with plays for today, I'm liking the Heels tonight, hope to see what saint thinks about the matchup.

Grey

:firing:

lowell

Forum Member
Jul 6, 2003
great night for you.i took duke and over.duke was fortunate to hang on.coach k has gotten in trouble before when he stops attacking in 2ndhalf and a team gets back into game.sheldon shot poorly.thought shav should of played more in 2nd half with williams so they could pound it inside.a nice road win.duhon is playing great.think you are right about georgetown game.duke should be favored by 11-12 points.gotta go with unc tonight.what are your thoughts about ga tech at state this week-end.good luck

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

the_fix_is_on

Forum Member
Feb 23, 2002
Western Maryland
Nice call on Duke. I coudn't pull the trigger on that one, being a MD fan and former student. It could have gone either way at the end, but MD doesn't have a "go to" guy when it's crunch time. Below average free throw shooting doesn't help either. Jamar Smith needs to spend all of his waking hours in a gym, practicing free throws.
I saw him play a few times at Allegany Community College (now Allegany College of MD), and he showed lots of potential. I thought he could make a name for himself at MD, but sometimes he disappears during a game. Other times he shows some real brilliance. Last night he got pushed around a lot and was pretty much ineffective. Nik Caner-Medley kept them in the game, but they couldn't or didn't get the ball to him down the stretch. It seems like the Terps can't get everyone on the same page at the same time. They should get better as the season progresses. We'll see.

GreyStreet

Forum Member
Nov 10, 2003
Baltimore, MD
thanks lowell, toy, and fix. fix, you guys have the makings of a great team, national title contender in 1-2 years.

lowell: that should be a good game to watch, I was not too sold on Tech until they beat Wake. I'm more of a believer now. Because NC State has trouble scoring, you have to like Tech, but at home State has played well. This game might be too close to play depending on the line.

good luck guys,

Grey

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg