Wednesday: Hofstra

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Take the +4.5 on the team that's 0-7 on the road.

For the past two months, Hofstra has been missing four of their starters: two due to injury and two due to suspension.

In their last game vs Old Dominion, they got back the two lost to 14 game suspensions: last year's leading scorer Rick Apodaca and 6-7 260 sophomore center Wendell Gibson.

Apodaca scored 34 of the team's 69 points and led Hofstra, a five point dog, to a four point SU victory.

I like Hofstra to cover the spread now that they've got Apodaca back in the line-up. They missed his scoring down the stretch in many of those games they lost on the road.

gl

- Jon

TCSN

Forum Member
Apr 5, 2002
I agree with you as Hofstra is shaping up to be a big play for me. I just want to look into a few things more.

I'm Storming

Forum Member
Jan 4, 2002
lawrence, ny, USA
W&M

W&M

W&M did beat this Hofstra team last yr. with all the same players fresh and ready to roll.. So hard not to think they won't knock 'em off again.. GL

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Last year, W & M started Johnson, Hess, St. Rohbein, D'Antoni and Carbaugh vs Hofstra. Only Hess remains as a starter in the line-up for this year's match-up.

Last years team's leading scorer and rebounder Mike Johnson graduated; he pulled down 14 boards in the home game vs Hofstra.

W&M and Hofstra split their two games last year, each winning at home. Hofstra covered the spread in both games.

Note: Walker and Miller are the two Hofstra players out with injuries.

Preseason Preview:

Hofstra
Pluses: Confidence and continuity will carry the Pride to a top-tier finish in the league. Nine key regulars are back (including all five starters) from a team that upset its way through to the league semis. Sophomore power forward Kenny Adeleke could potentially be the league's best player. He'll get help inside from rugged seniors Danny Walker and Osei Miller, sophomore Wendell Gibson and prized recruit Omar Alston.

Minuses: Rick Apodaca, the team's catalyst, was suspended until mid-January for a violation of team policy. While sophomore Woody Souffrant is capable of handling the playmaking chores, his absence leaves the team without its top scorer.

Parting shot: Hopefully for Hofstra, Apodaca will shake off the rust quickly upon his return and fit back into his role in time for the league tournament. His absence should push Adeleke into the go-to spot, which could ultimately be best for the team anyway. The Pride is loaded inside and needs to learn how to get the most out of that advantage.

William & Mary
Pluses: Power forward Adam Hess is back to anchor the frontcourt. He could use a little help from 7-footer Adam Duggins, who has never quite put it together. PG Mike D'Antoni looked good in his freshman season.

Minuses: The loss of several key forwards means the Tribe will have to depend on junior Zeb Cope and freshmen Jack Jenkins and Nate Loehrke. Either Sherman Rivers or Reid Markham have to give the team more perimeter scoring.

Parting shot: Last year's step forward (a sixth-place league finish) will be reversed this year. But only two seniors suit up, so maybe the team can grow together for next year. As for this season, however, the team just has too many holes, particularly on the offense.

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Apodaca had a terrible game last year at W&M shooting just 3-17. As a senior who missed the first 14 games for smoking a joint I'm sure he's going to try to make up for lost time in the final 2 months of the season.

Last year's game recap:

HOFSTRA DROPS FIFTH STRAIGHT AT WILLIAM & MARY 61-57

Williamsburg, VA (Feb. 16) ? Freshman guard Sherman Rivers scored on a pair of conventional three-point plays in the final minute of regulation as the William & Mary Men?s Basketball team captured a 61-57 win over Hofstra on Saturday evening at William & Mary Hall. The loss was the fifth in a row for the Pride, dropping its record to 10-16 overall and 5-10 in the Colonial Athletic Association, while William & Mary improves to 9-15 overall and 6-8 in conference play.

Hofstra junior forward Osei Millar hit a three-pointer from the right corner with 6:08 left in regulation to put the Pride ahead 52-50. Neither team was able to score a single point in the next 4:31 until Tribe forward Mike Johnson hit a pair of free throws with 1:37 left to knot the score at 52-52. Hofstra junior guard Rick Apodaca put his team back in front with a pair of free throws 10 seconds later.

William & Mary called a time-out with 1:00 left and seven seconds showing on the shot clock. Rivers came off a high screen near midcourt and drove all the way to the basket for a lay-up and foul. He converted the free throw to put the Tribe ahead 55-54. Hofstra freshman forward Michael Radziejewski was fouled in the backcourt on the ensuing possession, but missed the front end of a one-and-one. Rivers then converted his second clutch three-point play with 25 seconds left to give the Tribe a 58-54 lead. Radziejewski missed a good look at a three-pointer in the left corner, and Johnson hit a pair of free throws to give the Tribe a 60-54 advantage.

Hofstra freshman forward Kenny Adeleke then hit a three-pointer from the right wing on his first three-point attempt of the season to cut the deficit in half with five seconds left, but William & Mary?s Adam Hess hit the second of two free throws on William & Mary?s next possession to end any Pride comeback hopes.

The Pride took a 33-31 lead into the locker room at halftime on a buzzer-beating jump shot by freshman guard Woody Souffrant, but William & Mary charged out on a quick 7-0 run to start the second half. An 11-2 Hofstra run midway through the second half, capped off by a running bank shot from Apodaca, gave the Pride the lead back at 49-48 with 7:47 to play.

Apodaca led Hofstra in scoring for the tenth consecutive game, but managed only 12 points on 3-of-17 shooting from the floor. Millar and freshman center Wendell Gibson (pictured) were also in double figures with 10 points apiece, while Gibson narrowly missed a double-double with nine rebounds. Hofstra held William & Mary to just 31.6 percent shooting for the game (18-57), but shot just 35.1 percent itself (20-57). The Pride also lost its second straight game in which it held a lead in the last two minutes, after falling 62-61 at home to George Mason last Saturday on a Terrance Nixon put-back lay-up with 1.7 seconds left. Hofstra had won 74 straight games in which it led in the last two minutes, prior to the George Mason loss.

The Hofstra-William & Mary game was originally scheduled for 12 noon, but was postponed until 7 p.m. due to an administrative conflict involving the game officials. Hofstra is next in action when it travels to Norfolk, Virginia to face Old Dominion on Monday evening for a 7:30 contest. That game will be televised live by Fox Sports New York. Hofstra won the first meeting between the teams 67-66 back on Jan. 3.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Too bad the moneyline is only +160

Hofstra: The Pride (3-12 overall, 2-4 in CAA) rebounded from a 61-54 setback at Towson on Wednesday to defeat Old Dominion 69-65 on Saturday. Senior guard Rick Apodaca, who sat out Hofstra?s first 14 games due to a violation of university policy, made a spectacular debut against the Monarchs, scoring a career-high 34 points and adding five assists, four rebounds and four steals. He tallied 22 of his 34 points after halftime, including a three-pointer with 37 seconds left that gave the Pride the lead for good and four free throws in the final 11 seconds to seal the win. Apodaca, who was 10-of-17 from the floor and 5-of-10 from three-point range, also vaulted into 16th place on Hofstra?s career scoring list (1,185 points). Sophomore center Wendell Gibson returned from his suspension as well and contributed two points, six rebounds and three blocks against ODU. Sophomore forward Kenny Adeleke posted his seventh double-double of the season with 22 points and 14 rebounds in the Towson loss and added 18 points and eight boards against ODU. He has reached double figures in either scoring or rebounds in 21 straight games dating back to last season. The Pride topped the 50% mark (51.1%) from the field for just the second time this season versus ODU. Hofstra shot a sizzling 60% in the second half, including 4-of-7 from three-point range. The Pride will look for their first road win this week, visiting William & Mary and Drexel.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Taoist --

gl

The Sports Network

DATE & TIME: Wednesday, January 22nd, 7:00 p.m. (et).

FACTS & STATS: Site: William & Mary Hall (8,600) -- Williamsburg, Virginia.
Television: None. Home Record: Hofstra 3-4, William & Mary 5-3. Away Record:
Hofstra 0-7, William & Mary 1-4. Neutral Record: Hofstra 0-1, William & Mary
0-0. Conference Record: Hofstra 2-4, William & Mary 2-3. Series Record: Series
tied, 1-1.

GAME NOTES: The Hofstra Pride, who have shown some positive signs lately, look
for Colonial Athletic Association win number three tonight against the William
& Mary Tribe. On Saturday, the Pride came through with a 69-65 victory over
Old Dominion, their second win in the last four games. Considering that they
won only one of their first 11 contests, there is some reason for optimism. A
victory tonight by Hofstra would be its first of the season on the road, as it
has failed in its previous seven attempts. As for William & Mary, it entered
Saturday's clash with Virginia Commonwealth having lost three straight games.
The Tribe showed a great deal of persistence in that contest, and they emerged
with an 88-83 victory. Five of their six wins this season have come in
Williamsburg, and they have lost only one home game since the last week of
November. These teams met for the first time last season, as both Hofstra and
William & Mary won on their respective home courts.

Hofstra senior guard Rick Apodaca was suspended for the first 14 games of the
season for a violation of team and university policy. He made his season debut
against Old Dominion over the weekend, and the versatile standout made an
immediate impact. Apodaca tallied a career-high 34 points, including nine of
the Pride's final 10 points down the stretch. He played all 40 minutes and
shot 10-of-17 from the floor, 5-of-10 from behind the arc, and 9-of-10 from
the free throw line. Kenny Adeleke was also in double figures for Hofstra with
18 points and a team-high eight rebounds, shooting 7-of-9 from the floor. The
Pride shot over 50 percent from the floor for the second time this season at
51.1 percent, while Old Dominion was held to just 35.6 percent. Adeleke has
been outstanding in the absence of Apodaca, and he is currently averaging 16.9
ppg and 11.4 rpg. On a down note, Adeleke has committed a staggering total of
75 turnovers from his forward position.

William & Mary suffered a 46-39 rebounding disadvantage in its game against
Virginia Commonwealth, including 23-11 on the offensive glass. Fortunately for
the Tribe, they came out on top in most other important areas. For instance,
they outscored the Rams 22-11 from the foul line and held them to 36.3 percent
shooting from the floor. William & Mary connected on 48.4 percent of its field
goal attempts in the tilt, and Adam Hess led the way with a career-high 34
points on 11-of-18 shooting from the filed and 12-of-12 from the line. Hess
also pulled down six rebounds and dished out six assists while committing only
one turnover. Sherman Rivers pitched in 11 points for the Pride, and Brett
Howell and Jack Jenkins contributed 10 points apiece. Hess has been tremendous
all season, as he is scoring 21.7 ppg on 50.8 percent shooting from the floor
and 88.6 percent from the line. Unfortunately for Hess, none of his teammates
are averaging more than 8.8 ppg.

Hofstra is clearly a much different team with Apodaca in the lineup, as he has
led the squad in scoring in 15 of the last 17 games he has played dating back
to last season. Expect the Pride to make it two in a row tonight with
a narrow victory over the Tribe.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Hofstra 73, William & Mary 69

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Hofstra, With Fresh Legs, Ready to Make a Run

By Tom Rock
STAFF WRITER

January 22, 2003

Tom Pecora called it a "storybook ending," but what he really wants is a storybook beginning.

When senior Rick Apodaca returned to the Hofstra men's basketball team to score a career-high 34 points in a win over Old Dominion on Saturday, more than one member of the program likened it to a Hollywood production. Now it is time to find out if the sequels match the original.

Hofstra (3-12, 2-4 CAA) plays its next two games on the road, facing William & Mary (6-7, 2-3) at 7 tonight and Drexel (9-6, 4-2) at 7 p.m. Saturday.

Pecora, Hofstra's coach, said the win over Old Dominion brought much-needed excitement to the program that dragged itself through the first half of the season. Both Apodaca and sophomore Wendell Gibson were suspended for 14 games and returned on Saturday. "It takes our talent level up a notch and talent is what wins games," Pecora said. "You can X and O all you want, but you need players to win games."

The new-look Pride could create a stir in the CAA. Apodaca and Gibson are fresh, without the mileage and dents that come from playing the first half of the season. And their addition might befuddle some opposing scouts. "The only productive thing is to watch the game from Saturday and see both Wendell and Rick," William & Mary coach Rick Boyages said. "To watch a whole lot of film prior to Saturday's game, I don't know how effective that would be."

William & Mary is coming off a double-overtime win over Virginia Commonwealth and has the league's top scorer in Adam Hess (21.7 points per game). But no other player on the team averages in double figures as the Tribe relies on its zone defenses to rattle opponents. Boyages said a box-and-one to focus on Apodaca would not be farfetched.

Drexel is another unorthodox team, with a four-guard set that revolves around center Robert Battle, last season's CAA Defensive Player of the Year. After just a year and a half in the league (Drexel entered the CAA last season with Hofstra, Towson and Delaware), Battle is ninth on the CAA's career blocked shots list with 185.

Hofstra is more traditional than those teams, with outside scoring from Apodaca and inside strength from Kenny Adeleke (16.9 points, 11.4 rebounds). As it takes its act on the road, Hofstra will aim to stun opponents as it did on Saturday.

"It was odd in retrospect," Old Dominion coach Blaine Taylor said of Apodaca's comeback. "A lot of funny things happen in a conference race, and I'm not sure we'll experience much more of a peculiar circumstance than that."

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Storming --

I also read somewhere that W&M had 4 of their 5 leading scorers from last year back...so I think your info was solid...note use of term "scorers" not "starters"...the difference is that these 4 guys aren't necessarily starting this year due to injuries etc. Hess is the only good player they have.

FWIW the line hit +5.5 at Pinnacle at noon but then went back to +5 about 30 minutes later.

I hammered the ML +180; if Hofstra has an off nite my BR is going to take a serious hit.:nono:

Seems to me that Hofstra needs to go 2-0 on this road trip, and this is the easier of the 2 games.

I also think that Hofstra may have dogged it a bit in the first half of the year; I know their Pecora has taken a lot of flak for not pushing the team harder in the 1H and his job is on the line here. Now that he's got some talent back in the line-up he doesn't have any excuse for not winning. Especially against W&M, one of the worst teams in the CAA.

Mickey the Mush

Forum Member
Nov 19, 2002
New England
Let's see

Let's see

My old Italian Buddy swears by William & Mary tonight at -4.5 says it's his play of the day, this guy is 83, we'll see where his head is at. I went with him cause he has broken me out of slumps before. I wanted to pound Hofstra, but I'll go with Pasqual my Paisan tonight
Good Luck to the rest of you.

Mickey the Mush

Forum Member
Nov 19, 2002
New England
Superbook

Superbook

I hope you hit brother, I have small change on this game...you put a lot of effort into this game....tell you what, I'll double down on Hofstra just because you deserve to hit big on this one. I never hope for anyone to lose, just hope I win...lol
Good luck bro, hope it comes through for ya...like you said, free haircuts are just as priceless as winning your play of the day. Because of the work you put into this I'll at least buy my play back, and who knows? Maybe I'll middle with W&M winning by 5 and Hofstra winning with the hook, this could work out for both of us!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peace:p :p :p :p :p

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

cooz3

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
boston
SUPRBOOK..GOOD TO SEE WE ARE FINALLY ON THE ASME SIDE OF SOMETHING...CAPPED THIS GAME BEFORE SEEING YOUR POST AND ONLY SOLIDIFIES MY OPINION...HOFSTRA IS STARTING TO GET BACK TO FULL STRENGTH..I LIKE THIS PLAY...

GOOD LUCK TONIGHT...COOZ