wednesday ncaa hoops: a big one .......

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
punk asses from xavier made for a 3-1 day instead of 4-0. thanks for nothin' X.

big play. really like this game:

gonzaga bulldogs (+2)
gonzaga bulldogs moneyline (+110)

another one i think has a ton of value:

toledo/east carolina over 135

toledo's offense is probably gonna be the #1 scoring offense in the mac this year. theyve struggled out of the gate, and i think this total is incredibly generous. id play this all the way up to 140 or 142. joplin challenged his guards (villegas, tripplett,ingram) to step up and play better out of the gate. that trio combined to average 43+ pts for toledo last season. this year, in two games theyre combining to average just 23pts. so its no surprise that toledo is 0-2. once those guys get going, itll be back to normal for this explosive offense. and ecu should be more than willing to play toledo's up and down pace, so UT could find a little bit of rhythm tonight. if toledo's offense struggles for a 3rd straight game to open the season, id be really surprised especially. i dont see how this game isnt played in the 70s.

Last edited:
Reactions: kneifl

Nickelback

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Southwest
GL Gman. . . tough game to cap for me because Washington is a nice veteran team and playing well ever since last year during conference play.

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
nickel:

honestly, i couldnt ask for a better setup

* zags have dominated their in-state big brothers in recent years (winning the last 6 straight up vs the huskies). different washington team? yes and no. obviously, they (wash) clicked toward the end of last season and became a pac10 force. but zags beat the piss outta this exact same group last year in washington, so no reason for them to think theyre 'underdogs' by any stretch

* zags coming in off of probably their worst effort in recent memory.

* washington traveling to a damn tough venue just days after playing 3 games in 3 nights up in alaska. and those alaska games were all shootouts that went down to the wire.

* loss of roy for washington cancels out loss of knight for gonzaga.

frankly, im absolutely amazed gonzaga is an underdog here. regardless of the outcome, washington shouldnt be favored. zags might not get it done, we'll see. but think gonzaga -2 or -3 makes more sense.

RexBudler

Wonder Dog
Forum Member
Dec 6, 2003
Irvine, California
I agree here and Roy will be missed immensely. I love this Huskies team and Lil Nate but no way I could lay in lumber with them as road chalk here in Zag land. Gl to you and nice job last night

Nickelback

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Southwest
Makes sense especially after the Alaskan shootout. . . I guess the line is a product of Washington being ranked and Gonzaga being unranked? I thought this line was strange as well at first glance. . . is all the money gonna fall on the Zags? Should be interesting

Sun Tzu

Forum Member
Nov 10, 2003
Houston, Texas
Gman gotta disagree. The line alone tells you Washington is the play. While I understand some of the reasoning, I dont think it is going to work out here. Officially a no play for me until i see what line does, but I surely wouldnt be betting Gonzaga.

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
sun:

i disagree on the reasons for your disagreeing. lol. i dont THINK washington should be favored, but im not surprised they are. theres always gonna be a backing for ranked teams that like to run and gun (carolina, washington, etc). im sure theres the opposite perspective that feels a top 15 team laying one basket is a steal. we'll see how it goes. im dead set on this one. for better or worse. obviously appreciate your opinion though.

fatback

Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
Good Luck G, I couldn't win in college basketball if I knew the final score before hand but your kicking ass!!!

:hail :hail :drinky: :drinky:

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
sun:

am sure youd agree that the wake line says illinois or pass. i dont like the way illinois pasted gonzaga on saturday, as i think that moved them from a -2 to -4 pt favorite now and stripped some value. but no way can i play wake on wednesday. im very high on wake this year. have some money invested in em at 10/1, but i think theyre gonna burn some money in the next month or so. then theyll drop to #6/#7/#8 and re-emerge as a contender for the title. but this should be a short stay at #1 for them

Nickelback

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Southwest
Exactly what I was thinking Gman and why I'm gonna be a sucker and take Illinois! The #1 team in the country getting 5.5 points off the opening line? You won't find so many on the side of a dog all year long! I was expecting Illinois to lay 3 at the most. . . laying 5.5 is very telling of what kind of money Vegas wants on this big early game of the season.

Ndfan

Forum Member
Nov 7, 2001
Del Mar, CA
GMan, how do you think Ravio is going to matchup with Robinson?

I feel like Gonzaga has too much inside for UW, Turiaf is tough and Mallon has seemed to come along this year. I feel that if Morrison, Ravio, Altidor-Cespedes, Doudney can just compete with the UW backcourt. Personally, Morrison is the only one of the four that I think can play and he will be more of a force inside for this game. I am from Spokane and for some reason I feel a Gonzaga blowout (Giving points at home????)

I am playing Gonzaga even though this team is not like the solid teams of the past.

pt1gard

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 7, 2002
seattle
my 2 cents--seen the dawgs play 3xs, and Zags 2xs ... hate the zags backcourt and if they can handle pressure still no gimme inside ... morrison and mallon are crafty kids with moderate kwiks, Turiaf is not a good shooter ... UW has been lambasted by Zags thru the years and owes them big time ... very interesting line to me, makes U want to take zags as Home dog, but UW thawing out from alaska ... One huge thing, the biggest IMO, is Nate just firggin hates to lose and can almost will his team to do things in any sport at any level ... with all that said, I could see arguments fro both sides and will watch from sidelines ... FWIW: IF Roy were playing id take UW ... I went to LYs game in seattle, and crowd was roaring early as UW led by 10, then ZIP! the Zags powered them off the court and won by 30 or something, UW scoring like 8 pts in 15 minutes ....

gl, gregg

Last edited:

coolgi424

Forum Member
Apr 25, 2004
New York City
Gman...I've seen both teams play also...I love the Zags...but not on this game...The pressure that UW puts on the guards is too much for the Zags right now...if this game were later in the season I'd may be on the zags. For me it's a no play or a lean to UW. Just too much guard play.

Good luck!

Bill

Forum Member
Oct 5, 2002
Dallas
I leaned but cannot see enough light at the end of the tunnel to risk $$$. Better opportunities in today's card.

GL
Bill

pt1gard

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 7, 2002
seattle
College Basketball
Zag Nation still silent on Sound

By Bud Withers
Seattle Times staff reporter

In a moment of introspection between days of the NCAA basketball regional last March at KeyArena, Gonzaga coach Mark Few reflected on a paradox, the relationship of the state's largest city and the program to the east that would be big-time.

So near, yet so far.

"Some people in Seattle think Spokane is in North Dakota or something," he said.

You surmised he was including some high-school coaches and their recruits.

Well, tonight, television brings you a little slice of Bismarck. The Zags will be on TV against Washington's suddenly torrid Huskies from Gonzaga's new McCarthey Athletic Center.

In fact, get used to Gonzaga. The Zags will be splashed onto your screen more than Steve Lavin this winter, when they play Saint Louis next week, when they go to Santa Clara and Saint Mary's, when they host San Francisco and San Diego.

Without a lot of fanfare, the Zags signed a four-year deal last spring that gives them unprecedented television exposure. They were already guaranteed seven national appearances on ESPN or ESPN2 (with a couple of more possible in the West Coast Conference tournament), when they announced an arrangement with KHQ in Spokane and Fox Sports Net that will televise every Gonzaga game in the Seattle area.

It's a remarkable step forward for a program that as recently as a decade ago hadn't yet qualified for its first NCAA tournament.

"We've always had a great brand here in Spokane," said Gonzaga associate athletic director Mike Hogan. "But reaching out to get more people loving the Zags ? the Seattle market is obviously important to that."

Many of those games will carry starting times foreign to Gonzaga fans, as FSN has worked to clear space for them. There are lots of Saturday afternoon starts and several Thursday tips at 6 p.m.

Mark Shuken, general manager and vice president of FSN, says FSN has "cleared" 11 of the 17 dates for which it has contracted. That leaves six conflicts with other programming ? such as Pac-10 Thursday night telecasts ? which FSN plans to farm to other outlets in the Seattle area.

"The first one is Dec. 11 (a Spokane date with Saint Louis)," Shuken said. "Frankly, we're hustling to get that done so we can announce the (six-game) package."

Shuken estimates that a year ago, the Gonzaga TV package with KHQ touched about 400,000 homes east of the mountains. He says the addition of FSN brings that total to about 3.4 million homes.

"Their timing was right," said Shuken, "and so was ours."

The potential is there, as Hogan says, for a lot more loving of the Zags, although if you saw Illinois race to a 58-27 halftime lead against them the other day, you might be tempted to conclude that this will be a hot-and-cold relationship.

Fact is, the TV deal represents only a step ? albeit a big one ? on a long haul for Gonzaga. It's not the culmination of the Zags' rise to prominence, merely another instrument in the symphony.

This is the reality: Odd as it may seem, Gonzaga is a bigger phenomenon nationally than it is around Puget Sound.

Without a lot of fanfare last week, Gonzaga announced the signing of 6-foot-2 guard Jeremy Pargo of Chicago. Buried in a story in the back pages was Few's assessment of Pargo as "the most sought-after player we've ever signed at Gonzaga."

Pargo's signing comes after the most decorated class of Seattle recruits in history was available. Gonzaga didn't seek all of them, but it went hard after Marcus Williams of Roosevelt and Jon Brockman of Snohomish and came up dry.

As Few noted last spring, the Seattle area is a tough nut for Gonzaga to crack. That's why there was such rejoicing when the Zags landed Erroll Knight on the rebound from Washington two years ago. To an inner-city kid in Seattle, Gonzaga is liable to be as jarring a choice as red counties over blue, cold over drizzle, conservative over hip.

When Gonzaga made its first forays into the NCAA tourney, the roster was laden with players from Western Washington, like Casey Calvary of Tacoma. Now the Zags are a mix of the exotic (Martinique's Ronny Turiaf, Brazilian J.P. Batista, Texas Tech transfer Nathan Doudney) and the best of Eastern Washington (Sean Mallon, Adam Morrison).

Says Few, who grew up just outside Eugene, Ore., "I've always thought there was a little bit of an information tunnel that goes up and down I-5. I lived in it for 20-odd years. All you ever read about or see is those schools up and down I-5. Once you branch out of there, wow, there's all these other things.

"It's funny. At times, we're overexposed by ESPN and nationally."

Backed by a new TV contract, Gonzaga is thus on an unspoken mission: Get Seattle to join the rest of the nation.

Bet on MyBookie