Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
dallas.......
UPDATE: ZUBOV OUT TONIGHT
New attitude gives Stars lift
Dallas playing better, and on a 6-game unbeaten streak

12/05/2001

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

Tom Hicks already owns one losing team and the last thing he needed was a matching set.

Stars-Senators preview

So when the Stars were struggling to stay over .500, Hicks admits he was concerned.
"Absolutely," he said. "Weren't you? We weren't playing like the Stars."

So before the team's road trip, he buttonholed coach Ken Hitchcock. What he heard was that the Stars were developing an attitude, a good thing.

It had been missing when the St. Louis Blues swept the Stars in the second round last season and had been absent for the first quarter of the season, Hitchcock explained.

Nothing on the Stars three-game visit to Canada changed the analysis. The Stars carry a six-game unbeaten streak and a four-game winning streak into Wednesday's game with the Ottawa Senators, both season highs.

"We needed to be happy with who we were," Hitchcock said. "We needed to stop searching. We needed to just say, 'Hey, this is who we are. We're proud of it. This is how we're going to play. We're going to get in your face and stay in your face and play with a little bit of an edge and attitude.' "

And that was what Hitchcock told his owner.

"He's seen us play the right way," Hitchcock said. "He knows the difference between the way we're supposed to play and the way things are done here, and they weren't being done properly. That's my responsibility."

The change in attitude was happening even before the Stars made two major trades, which only accelerated the turnaround.

The trades that exiled Stars-for-a-minute Donald Audette and Jyrki Lumme were more than addition by subtraction.

Benoit Brunet has two goals, four assists and is plus-5. In reality, the Stars expected him and his two-way game to thrive here.

But Martin Rucinsky, who also came from Montreal, has two goals including a game-winner, an assist, and is plus-1. While skilled, his adjustment has been much quicker than even he envisioned.

"I heard a lot of things all over the place that some other guys couldn't play here," Rucinsky said. "I wasn't worried at all. This is a new team. You have to prepare, and you have to adjust whatever the coaches are asking for. You have to do it if you want to be successful."

Rucinsky isn't the only one following orders.

The Stars also say that this is merely the best they've played all year, not the best they can play. Hitchcock wants to see the Stars take more advantage of opposing team's mistakes and attack the net more aggressively.

"We know when we're playing good and playing bad," captain Derian Hatcher said. "I definitely feel comfortable with the way we're playing. We know we can get better, too."

Briefly ...

An MRI revealed that Brenden Morrow has a sprained right knee. He'll be sidelined three to four weeks, coach Ken Hitchcock said. ... Defenseman Sergei Zubov is nursing a bruised shoulder and is questionable for Wednesday's game with Ottawa. ... Ed Belfour will start in goal. ... Hitchcock said recent call-up Cameron Mann might have been with the Stars earlier except for a broken foot that sidelined him for a month. SENATORS AT STARS

7:30 p.m., American Airlines Center, Fox Sports Net/WBAP-AM (820)

SERIES: Stars lead, 10-6-0-0

SCOUTING THE SENATORS

Trend: Ottawa (13-9-3-0) played poor enough in October that Jacques Martin's job was supposed to be in jeopardy. The Senators put together a club-record 11-game unbeaten streak in November. And they're no better than third in the Northeast Division after a 4-2 loss in Colorado that left them with one win in five games.
Who's hot: Often-injured RW Daniel Alfredsson, on the trading block earlier this season, leads the Senators in goals (13), assists (15), points (28) and is tied for the lead in plus-minus (plus-15).

Who's not: C Radek Bonk has suffered trying to replace the traded Alexei Yashin on the first line. He has six goals and 20 points, but is rumored to be part of a package Ottawa is offering for Tampa Bay's Vincent Lecavalier.

Injuries: None.

SCOUTING THE STARS

Trend: The Stars (11-7-6-3) are four games over .500 for the first time all season and have lost just once in their past 10 games.
Who's hot: The line of C Kirk Muller, RW Jamie Langenbrunner and LW Benoit Brunet has been a solid two-way line. Muller has a six-game points streak, Langenbrunner has three goals in two games and Brunet has points in all five games since being acquired from Montreal.

Who's not: The Stars after coming home. They've lost both games (Detroit and the New York Islanders) they've played at American Airlines Center after multi-game road trips this season.

Injuries: LW Brenden Morrow (sprained knee) is out. D Sergei Zubov (shoulder) is questionable.

Hitchcock's post game comments from vancouver suggested zubov would have played the third period if it was a playoff game and would probably play wednesday...

[This message has been edited by wigs (edited 12-05-2001).]

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
la....
Kings place RW Palffy, C Robitaille on injured reserve
December 4, 2001

LOS ANGELES (TICKER) -- The Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday placed star right wing Zigmund Palffy and center Randy Robitaille on injured reserve.

Palffy suffered a fractured rib in the second period of Saturday's 4-2 victory over Nashville and his move was retroactive to Sunday. The 29-year-old is tied for second on the team in scoring with eight goals and eight assists in 20 games.

Robitaille, 26, went down with a separated right shoulder in the third period of Monday's 2-0 loss to Calgary. He has four goals and three assists in 17 games after signing as a free agent on July 7. He spent the previous two seasons with Nashville.

To fill one of the roster spots, the Kings recalled center Steve Kelly from Manchester of the American Hockey League, where he had two goals and six assists in 10 games.

Acquired from New Jersey last February 27, Kelly missed the first 16 games of the season following hernia surgery.

ND2002HORNS

Forum Member
wigs,

How long has Cameron Mann been called up for? Who is he playing with? Or will he just replace Brendan Morrow on the line he was playing on? Great info again, really looking forward to this game tomorrow night. I am definitely leaving it alone, I will just enjoy and watch it. Besides if I play Dallas with my luck on the Sens they would win and burn me again.

HORNS

P.S. Good to see Major Applewhite will start in the Bowl game on Dec. 28, too bad it took 3 months too long for Mac Brown too realize that Simms should have been sitting and not Applewhite.

mw

Forum Member
Sep 29, 2000
dallas
Stars should continue the hot streak tonight vs. Sens. Brunet has really fit well in the system, and Rucinsky has played well too. Manson has been solid. Team is feeling confident.

TexasBC6

Forum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Austin, TX
Horns - Don't even get me started on what all should have gone differently this past football season
smile.gif

I agree though, good to see Major get the nod.

Tough call on the Ott/Dal game tonight. I would lean to the over but then again it is -125. You never know when Belfour will decide to put in a stand on his head performance. GL with whatever you decide to play!

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
morrow got hurt against edmonton, kamensky finally suited up(had like 6 healthy scratches in a row) and took morrow's spot on line 1 with modano and lehtinen. he did a decent job, not sure what role mann will play, he had a good preseason but havent seen much of him..muller's line with brunet has been playing very well and rucinsky looks to fit on nieuwendyk's line..finally some normal left wingers that are hard to push off the puck, dallas had too many little guys.. hope it is a good one, thanks for the post of hurme in net...talk to you soon

ND2002HORNS

Forum Member
wigs,

Cam Mann is a bit of an unknown in the Western Conference. He was traded to the Stars this past summer on draft day for a defensemen and his name escpaes me. Mann was up and down for three years with the Bruins. He was a star in junior hockey winning the MVP at the Canadian Junior Hockey Champs playing for Peterborough. He is 25 now and has been a 3rd line type winger for the Bruins in the past. He got some time with Thornton and Samsonov for a few games. He scored 5 goals in 6 games three years ago in his rookie year. Mann fits the Hitch system well and I could see him being a Mike Keane type player if he would get his nose dirty on a consistent basis. Would like to see the guy get a solid chance with the Stars. Too bad they are so deep, mind you with Kamensky playing like a bag of dirt who knows?

GL

HORNS

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
thanks Horns, i know mann had some success in preseason and hitchcock said he would have been up sooner if not for the broken foot. if he can provide some grit, i would rather see him than verbeek in my opinion, verbeek is getting up there and just only seems to add to his penalty minutes now not any goals. he might provide a spark and some ferocity, but i have no been impressed with him so far in his second stint as a star. watch for modano to possibly play some wing tonight with nieuwendyk, hitchcock is looking for more minutes for turgeon, his minutes have increased with each game back.

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
a little more into the success of dteroit and minn's PP

The following story is courtesy of NHL This Week
The Detroit Red Wings and Minnesota Wild have begun experimenting with an inverted power-play system. The approach intends for the "point" of the power play to be behind the goal, and not at the blueline, 60 feet away from the goal. Detroit, under the direction of SCOTTY BOWMAN, boasts a League-high 22.7 percent success rate with the man advantage, while Minnesota ranks second with a 21.9 percent success rate. The Wild's ANDREW BRUNETTE leads the League in power-play points with 17, tallying 7 goals.

The following are comments regarding the innovation:

"If you're a goalie or a penalty killer and the puck is out at the point, that's the only time you feel a little relieved. Even though they can shoot it, at least you know where everybody is. When the puck goes behind you, you're worried. You lose sight of it. You're turning to one side or the other." - Scotty Bowman Toronto Sun, Nov. 26, 2001
"That's my belief, that you want to work the goal line. If there is a turn-over; you set the battle up in the corner, you're not setting the battle up at the blue line, and that's what's happening right now." - Keith Primeau Philadelphia Daily News, Nov. 28, 2001
"I thought, 'If one guy can be so effective back there, what would happen if you had two?' "I said, 'Someday, somebody is going to run the power play from back there.' " - Scotty Bowman, Toronto Sun Nov. 26, 2001. Bowman is explaining his ideas for an inverted power play when he watched Wayne Gretzky run an offense from behind the net 20 years ago

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
hope i'm not putting too much stuff on this thread...
nj...
Montreal Canadiens goaltender Jose Theodore has never beaten New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur in the regular season.

Seven times the two have gone head-to-head and all seven times, Brodeur has emerged as the victor.

Theodore gets another shot tonight.

Brodeur's numbers against the Habs have been outstanding in those seven games: 7-0, a 0.86 goals against average and a .961 save percentage...

Edmonton/ANAheim

EDMONTON -- Head coach Craig MacTavish chose to stroke his Edmonton Oilers rather than poke them after they blew a 3-0 first period lead in a 6-4 loss to the Dallas Stars on Saturday.

Instead of putting the troops through a rigorous skate on Sunday morning and hammering home defensive fundamentals, MacTavish decided to let the team play a big game of shinny.

No coaches, no whistles, no faceoffs -- just pond hockey instead of practice.

The coach explained afterwards that kicking garbage cans and driving the troops into the ice would have been counter-productive, especially when they were sitting second overall and exceeding everyone's expectations without Ryan Smyth in the lineup.

The players had a blast, the game was one big laugh fest, complete with Stanley Cup-like team photo after Blue beat White in a best-of-five series.

They had their team Christmas party Sunday night and got Monday off altogether.

We'll see how MacTavish's psychological strategy pays off tonight when the Oilers host the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. He's hoping they return refreshed and recharged after their mini break.

They certainly won't need much to get past the lowly Ducks, who have the worst record in the Western Conference and the worst road record overall. The Ducks have two wins in their last 10 games and show very little sign of a team getting ready to turn it around.

The Oilers gave backup netminder Jussi Markkanen his first ever NHL start the last time they played Anaheim (Nov. 28) and Markkanen posted a 2-0 shutout.

EDMONTON

Jochen Hecht-Mike Comrie-Anson Carter

Domenic Pittis-Shawn Horcoff-Dan Cleary

Ethan Moreau-Todd Marchant-Mike Grier

Josh Green-Rem Murray-Georges Laraque

ANAHEIM

Jeff Friesen-Samuel Pahlsson-Paul Kariya

Mike LeClerc-Matt Cullen-Marty McInnis

Kevin Sawyer -German Titov-Timo Parssinen

Denny Lambert-Andy MacDonald-Dan Bylsma

Between the posts: The Oilers are expected to start Tommy Salo while the Ducks are leaning towards Steve Shields.

[This message has been edited by wigs (edited 12-05-2001).]

ND2002HORNS

Forum Member
wigs,

Like I mentioned on this thread, I said with my luck lately that if I took Dal. that Ott. would win and looked at what happened. Can't figure Ott. at all. Watch for a let down with this bunch tomorrow night. They will give just enough to try and get by the Preds but it won't be enough. Preds only lost here in Ott. a month ago 3-2 on a late goal with three min. by Redden. Like this over. Who knows who will be in nets for the Sens?

HORNS

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
i read lalime expected on thurs...ottawa looked quick tonight,and made the stars pay when on all their miscues.. the third got really crazy and made that over look really good...

[This message has been edited by wigs (edited 12-06-2001).]

Bet on MyBookie