Week One Guesses

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Admittedly, have been doing more school study than CFB study, but will start out with one strong play early:

3* Minnesota -7

My units are based on 1* to 5* wagers, rarely will go above a 3*, unless I have a lot to go on and it's backed up by other respected cappers that give me more confidence on it. As the season goes on, I will take more time and do writeups if I study things as I should. But enough about that...

I love the Gophers in this spot. They have a pretty tough schedule, much tougher early on than their usual creampuffs, so I assume Brewster is looking to REALLY build the program for Big 10 and national success. While Syracuse is supposedly really poor, the name alone and location brings a little attention to the game. There is a lot of excitement in the Gopher program right now, as Brewster has had solid recruiting years, and has now supposedly molded a team to his specifications. MUCH better athletes across the board, especially defensively, and sheer numbers of better athletes will mean improved special teams and depth.

The offense should be very good, the Weber/Decker combo is terrific and should even be better this season. Very good running back and supposedly a renewed focus on doing better with the running game will take some pressure off the passing attack, which has been good. Defensively, they have some really good athletic kids, supposedly a very strong linebacking group, and a very good cornerback.

I will gladly buy in to the hype, as I think it's well-founded with logic. These kids will start out sky high, and unless something surprising happens early in this game, they should be a better team, laying just a TD. I look for them to comfortably win this game, probably by 2 TDs or so.

Good luck everyone, there are other games I like today, but need to study some things first. Early leans include Alabama, and I think all the negative hype about Michigan will cause me to back them today. Usually when these negative hype things dominate at a big school, the numbers get out of whack. I assume Rodriguez will have that team better, and ready to play, using the negativity as a big motivator for those who are not whining on that team.

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Really disappointed in Minnesota thus far. I guess the new offensive scheme will take some adjusting to, but see many of the same frustrating problems under Brewster so far:

Using timeouts due to coaching/personnel problems (just called a timeout when lining up to RECEIVE a punt :rolleyes: ), having no time outs at the end of the half to run a hurry up offense, poor tackling by the defense, inconsistent play calling and a lack of tempo.

I can't determine if Syracuse is better than reported (I'd say so after watching), or Minny is just more of the same and Brewster is just a bad coach. Maybe a little of both. But if they look this disjointed in this spot, it could be a long year for the Gophers - and a firing of the head coach.

betz

Forum Member
Mar 23, 2004
Southern MN
i agree....a little of both. the gophers STILL can't tackle. with their schedule looks like about a 3-9 team. then...

fire brewster and..

hire dungy.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Man, that was ugly. I wonder how many recruits parents saw this one and thought - dang, my kid was sold a bill of goods. At some point, I wonder how good a recruiter he really is - either the kids aren't what they're cracked up to be, or he can't coach. Revolving door with defensive coaches, new offense (guessing because he realizes how exposed the spread would be most weeks in the Big 10), and the same old result. At least with the spread, Decker could get open a little more. Weird, they were saying that Weber learned how to throw differently, changed his throwing motion... a big thing to change at this stage of his career, and the team's "rebuilding" process. The new Frosh QB "stud" didn't look too impressed with the situation on the sideline, I can say that.

But Decker remains a stud. Man, some really nice catches today, with people all over him. I could see him playing on Sundays as a slot receiver someday.