what do you feed a small deer?

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
a little deer(probably not considered a doe any longer) is wandering around the neighborhood and seems to have settled in a bare spot i cleaned out for the squirrels and birds.....it`s pitiful with all this snow covering everything they can eat....

seems to eat birdseed....i tried cutting some cabbage,apples,sweet potatoes and put a small container of organic steel cut oats out there...

anybody have any ideas?....i want to give it a little grub to get it through another cold day here....they`re saying the mid to upper 40`s tuesday and and 50`s and 60`s the rest of the week and weekend....should pretty much melt this snow...

i figure once the snow melts,he`ll be able to do for himself...

thanks for the help in advance....

Reactions: zoomer

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
we feed the deer corn from a bag.

Its not very nutrious but they love it.

birdseed is a last resort for a deer. They do browse and eat plants , grass, etc

If the deer is a fawn the mother may have been killed and the deer will not make it very long

If the deer is a year old or more it has a chance

zoomer

Forum Member
Feb 20, 2000
Massapequa Park, NY USA
a little deer(probably not considered a doe any longer) is wandering around the neighborhood and seems to have settled in a bare spot i cleaned out for the squirrels and birds.....it`s pitiful with all this snow covering everything they can eat....

seems to eat birdseed....i tried cutting some cabbage,apples,sweet potatoes and put a small container of organic steel cut oats out there...

anybody have any ideas?....i want to give it a little grub to get it through another cold day here....they`re saying the mid to upper 40`s tuesday and and 50`s and 60`s the rest of the week and weekend....should pretty much melt this snow...

i figure once the snow melts,he`ll be able to do for himself...

thanks for the help in advance....

Try some Bok Choy instead of the cabbage Wease.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
dept of nat. resources no help...they only come out to facilitate putting the animal down or if it`s young and still has it`s spots....neighbor`s daughter took a picture and sent it to them....no dice...

christ,this is nerve racking....everybody here is upset....

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
Mail it to Kickserv? :shrug:

340_iStock-300x200-Patient-Mail.gif

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Did it have a sex change? I'm sure you meant fawn. Seriously though, deer love apples. They will eat those and appreciate them.

:facepalm:...obviously not up on my deer terminology:0074... ...fawn is what i would`ve meant(if i were a little brighter):lol:....it just went around the split rail to the neighbors in the back...chomping on some of their bushes...that`s a good sign,i`d think...

and you were also right about the apples....seems like the apples were whacked while the cabbage/sweet potatoes and carrots just played with......the steel cut oats and bird seed were also rendered to deer shit

seems fairly spry,all things considered...amazing how these animals survive outside in these conditions(i`m sure many don`t)....if he can hang for another 24-36 hours,the weather will turn completely and the snow should be history....

appreciate the help...

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
seems fairly spry,all things considered...amazing how these animals survive outside in these conditions(i`m sure many don`t)....if he can hang for another 24-36 hours,the weather will turn completely and the snow should be history....

appreciate the help...

deer live in snow and find places to sleep without a problem

you aint much of a hunter . you and a deer sleeping outside in 20 deg F overnight

the deer lives and you go on to the great hunting spot in the sky

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
It's still a fawn bc it was born last year. On its birthday, it will be a yearling. Fawn whitetail deer routinely lose their mothers and live. If this one is just laying around in your yard, it is probably sick. I doubt food is going to help it. It should still be wild, so it is showing signs of being ill just being around you and not running away.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
It's still a fawn bc it was born last year. On its birthday, it will be a yearling. Fawn whitetail deer routinely lose their mothers and live. If this one is just laying around in your yard, it is probably sick. I doubt food is going to help it. It should still be wild, so it is showing signs of being ill just being around you and not running away.

oh,it runs away......a little tough to hit a full run with so much snow and ice laying around( i think all the snow and ice has it confused)....i`m finding out it`s been all over the neighborhood...

it`s distressing to see it out there alone....making food available to help it hang in till the weather breaks and all the snow melts......

dunclock

Forum Member
Dec 22, 2001
Nashville, TN
there is a nature preserve that is 2 minutes from my house where I take my dogs to let them run ... I see this lady occasionally that goes by some the local markets and get the produce they are going to throw away and puts it out for the deer, wild turkeys and other animals ... only thing I told her to watch out for is hopefully not drawing coyotes around ... I have seen 2 in 6 years and also seen 2 deer dead that they got to :scared

she throws out apples, cabbage, corn and bread for them and its gone the next day ... saw her last week and she is throwing these apples out and my Westie is chasing and getting them thinking they are balls for him play with :mj07:

animal lovers rule :0008

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
pumpkins.

if you can find a few pumpkins, hack it up with a machete and set the pile of chunks out there for the lil deer to eat. It's like crack for them.

Bet on MyBookie