What I have learned this playoff season...

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
...and I think I already knew this, but just decided to disregard it: Experience wins. Man, will I ever learn? I took EVERY team this weekend that was shorter on experience. Not that this was the conscious plan, but I realize now that's what I did.

Tampa vs Washington - Tampa in my opinion was the more experienced team, but Brunell was the more experienced QB. Simms sucked, Washington wins....

Jacksonville vs New England - Obviously the Patriots have more playoff experience than any team in the league, and it showed. At QB...no comparison, Brady vs Leftwich/Garrard.

Carolina vs NY Giants - Panthers team that went to the Superbowl vs Giants team with a rookie QB. Eli is flat out shitting the bed today.

Pittsburgh vs Cincinnati - I sure am rethinking my bet on the Bengals now. Cinci's first home playoff game in 14 years...almost nobody on this team has any playoff experience at all. Hmmm...

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!! :cursin:

Lee

Forum Member
Feb 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree w/ you that it is a big factor. I just hope it is w/ the Bengals today b/c I got the Steelers BIG!! Gl to you!

Blackman

Winghead
Forum Member
Aug 31, 2003
New Jersey
I hear you GM -- I learned this lesson hard and actually faded every QB making their first ever playoff start, not that it's a fool proof plan but it seems like a lot of them are not ready to make the step up to the next level in the first tilt, especially if they are in an offense where they need to make plays (Rothelisberger last year was an exception who had a very solid team around him). Good luck on the Cincy play, of the four novice QB's I feel Palmer is by far the best player, but again you never know. Should be a fun game to watch.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
Well I'm seriously considering hedging Cinci now, though I know I will only tie myself up in knots if I go changing things, then it doesn't work out...recipe for disaster when you start doubting yourself.

I agree Palmer is the best of the bunch (I sure learned that when I played you in fantasy this year Blackman, he saved up some of his best games for when he played me! :) ).

Actually, there are numerous exceptions to the experience thing... such as Roth'bgr last year like you point out, or Carolina in '03 making it all the way to the Superbowl after not even making the playoffs for a few years. But I think in general I MUST remember in future to go against rookie QB's in round 1 of the playoffs.

slickjim

Forum Member
Nov 7, 2001
Wasn"t Tom Brady first time they won Super Bowl? Food for thought.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Blackman

Winghead
Forum Member
Aug 31, 2003
New Jersey
True Carolina is an example, but if I remember correctly they played against a Quincy Carter led Dallas team in round 1 so I guess it cancels itself out a bit. I am kinda shocked out inept the Giants look today though, I bought the hook to get it up to 3 because I fully expected a nailbiter.

USCMD

Forum Member
Feb 4, 2004
So Cal
Did you guys hear this yesterday? Since 1966 comparing quarterbacks making their first post season appearance versus quarterbacks with 10 or more post season app's AND a super bowl win.....it was 9-4 in favor of 1st appearance QB's.

I think its coaching experience.....offensive and defensive co-ordinators where experience matters most. The quarterback or any other position is the tip of the iceberg. Its where the scheme is obvious.

wormdog

Forum Member
Jan 25, 2001
Lambeau Field
i call bullsh#t

i call bullsh#t

Wormdog, AG, pee dee, and lalukey call bullsh#t

TB dominated that game, two bad reviews early were a free 14 pts.

Brunell with his experience threw a horrible pass across his body late to give TB another chance to win

Granted Eli gave the game away today, and Patriots yes they got the experience but Leftwich was banged up and never played for the last month so tough to make a conclusion

Based on that Pitt will be the play next but I fully think that Cincy wins this game

Cincy underdogs at home is ridiculous

Lets go palmer lets go

good luck from CAYMAN!

:mj14:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg