What I learned about gambling as a stock market investor ... Part 2

BigDog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2001
Springfield, Illinois
2. Mastering Emotions

There are two opposite emotions that constantly control the actions of a day trader. They are by far two of the most powerful emotions that must be in harmony and fit together as closely as a lock and a key. Too much of one will cause you to loose...too much of the other prevents you from maximizing your gain.

These two emotions are Greed and Fear.

Greed is interwoven into the capitalistic fabric of our economy. Without greed, there would be no profits, no incentives for workers, no stock market, no improvements in technology or productivity, and no medical research. The search for a cure to cancer is driven by greed. If you think that all these corporations and researchers are seeking a cure for AIDS out of the kindness of their hearts, then you are misjudging the power of the almighty dollar. There's one other thing that wouldn't exist without greed...and that is gambling.

It's the closest(and the most legal)way of getting something for nothing; of extracting the surplus value of someone elses labor. I invest in equity options for the same reason I gamble...I am greedy, I want more, and I want it now. Immediate gratification is the opium of gambling(and day trading). I feel the same "thing" when I win 4-0 on Sunday as I do when I turn $1,000.00 into $1500.00 on Monday. But it is Greed in excess that will haunt you. Greed is stimulated by overconfidence. In my early years trading I would allow greed to consume me after posting gain after gain for several weeks. I was cocky enough to think that I was somehow "smarter" than everyone else and I just couldn't lose. I would schuck aside everything I had read and learned from the masters and plunge foreward into the glory that I knew awaited me...and all I would find was my Waterloo. I would feel foolish to tell you not only how much my greed cost me, but how often I LET it cost me.

In gambling I have a simple system that works for me. I also try to follow money management methods that I learned the hard way as a Greedy Novice. I never lay more than 6% (and usually 4% or less)of my bankroll and never, NEVER have more than 5 positions open at one time. This discipline is all that saved me from a complete meltdown in the market...and has done a nice job of preserving my gambling capital. As in trading, I try to win a little bit every day...and not risk it all to win it all.
In gambling (and trading)I try to win or gain)10% per week on my bankroll. That's only 1.5% per day. At 1.5% compounded per day you would double your money in 47 days!

You have to be Greedy enough to have patience! Immediate gratification is dominant in unsuccessful traders, broke gamblers, and most two year olds.

Back in a bit with the rest on FEAR

BigDog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2001
Springfield, Illinois
2. Mastering Emotions -- continued

Fear...one of the animal kingdom's greatest instincts. Fear of hunger causes some animals to store food, to eat excessively, and to use deadly force. Fear of the elements causes men to build shelter and bears to find caves. Fear ignites the "Fight or Flight" reaction that we all have for that one small second whenever we're startled or confronted. I know that some Billy Badasses say they "..ain't never been afraid of nuttin'". But the decision is made at the very second of the occurrance, not early that morning when they're having their Fruit Loops and Old Milwaukees.

Fear causes a man to second guess himself...to doubt his own ability or intelligence.

In day trading there is a never ending struggle between Greed and Fear. After winning for several days, Greed will tell you to increase your wagers (or investment) and maybe even to put a bigger chunck of your bankroll into the pot. After several losing sessions, as capital dwindles, fear of losing money causes hesitation. It may cause you to reduce the amounts of your investments or lessen their frequency. It makes you jittery and uncertain. It makes you lose even more money. After a bad 1 or 2 week pounding I take a long break. I quit investing for at least 5 days. I take my neighbors kid fishing. I take a 200 mile motorcycle ride down the Mississippi along the Great River Road from Hannibal Missouri to the island community of Kaskaskia, Illinois. I go to the garden center, buy a tree and plant it. I have 15 acres with a nice creek, so I always plant a Weeping Willow whenever I take my hiatus. So how many times have I started loosing money and began to feel the Fear? Well, I've lived here 4 years and have 15 Weeping Willows. If I follow this plan, I will run out of creek before I run out of money.

This same Fear of loosing in the market is the same Fear of loosing in gambling. Fear must be managed just like Greed. A little Fear is a good thing...it helps you keep things in perspective. But when you let Fear grow, it begins to consume you just as Greed will. Fight or Flight? I have come to grips with my limitations. I will flee...to come back and fight another day...tanned, rested, and ready!

Control your Greed and Fear or else they will control you.

BigDog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2001
Springfield, Illinois
Well, FEAR kept me from taking ARZ -260 against the Cubs today....but GREED had me double up on the under in the SEA/COL game
smile.gif

Back with a few picks in a second

Padre

Forum Member
Mar 11, 2000
San Diego CA
well put, i did enjoy reading this.

SO if i understand you correctly you will never have "invested" any more than 20 to 30% of your bankroll at any given time, Right?

Allnet

Forum Member
Feb 20, 2000
Port Arthur, Tx
Excellent, very good reading. Look forward to next piece.

------------------
"A group is better than any individual"

BigDog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2001
Springfield, Illinois
Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen. And to Padre...yes, I try to keep my wagers (and daily trades) under 25%-30%. But I too am human, and sometimes I stretch these parameters. But then I am haunted by the "Ghost of Gambling Past" and I snap back to reality. Face it...it is possible to lose ALL your bets on any single day. As time goes on, it is PROBABLE. I don't ever want to take a hit in excess of 25%.

Bet on MyBookie