What if Chaney resigns

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Chain Saw

Forum Member
Sep 15, 2003
What happens, if due to health reasons, Chaney resigns? Does the President get to appoint or does the Congress make that appoinment. I was trying to remember what happened when Agnew quit, but the memory of that event is not clear.

BahamaMama

not banned
Forum Member
Dec 6, 1999
Davenport, Iowa
Chain Saw said:
What happens, if due to health reasons, Chaney resigns? Does the President get to appoint or does the Congress make that appoinment. I was trying to remember what happened when Agnew quit, but the memory of that event is not clear.

does the name Gerald Ford sound familiar? ;)

Chain Saw

Forum Member
Sep 15, 2003
Apparently I didn't ask the question very well. Am well aware of the fact that Ford became the veep after Agnew. The question is how. Who appointed him? Hope this helps.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

BahamaMama

not banned
Forum Member
Dec 6, 1999
Davenport, Iowa
oops, sorry Chain Saw...you asked the question fine, i just took it wrong.

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.")

If for some reason there is no President or Vice President, the Speaker of the House will become President (the Speaker then ceases to be a Representative). If for some reason the Speaker cannot serve, then the President pro tempore of the Senate will.

If the President pro tempore cannot serve, then the following succession will apply: Secretary of State, Secretary of the Treasury, Secretary of Defense, Attorney General, Secretary of the Interior, Secretary of Agriculture, Secretary of Commerce, Secretary of Labor, Secretary of Health and Human Services, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, Secretary of Transportation, Secretary of Energy, Secretary of Education, Secretary of Veterans Affairs.

danmurphy jr

Forum Member
Sep 14, 2004
Karl Rove runs this country from stem to stern and I can't wait for the first moron to ask "who is Karl Rove?"

Marra

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2002
Chicago, Tempe
danmurphy jr said:
Karl Rove runs this country from stem to stern and I can't wait for the first moron to ask "who is Karl Rove?"

That is the truth. A HUGE Repub backer I know (she was at the ASU debates with bells on), and I told her I saw Karl Rove at the media tent...those were her exact words:

"Who is Karl Rove?"

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Chain Saw

Forum Member
Sep 15, 2003
Thanks Mama. Was thinking he was nominated by the Pres. Don't remember both houses having to confirm. But that makes sense.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

danmurphy jr

Forum Member
Sep 14, 2004
Cheny won't resign. He looks pretty heallthy lately
If he does die in office, there's a chain of command I learned in high school. There has to be a sworn VP, like the Secretary of state or somebody. :rolleyes:

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
I believe Speaker of the House is second in line behind the VP to become president, so that's a guess. But only a guess.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

danmurphy jr

Forum Member
Sep 14, 2004
Good guess. He takes the presidency if both he and the VP are taken out, which is why they don't travel together