What would you do?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Groz

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
New Jersey
I was wondering what some of you would do as far as a possible hedge in my situation. We are not talking a lot of money, but was still wondering your thoughts.

I am in a pool that cost me $100 to enter. If Kansas wins, I come in 4th and win $550(450net). If Syracuse wins, I win nothing(-100).

If I take the points for let's say, 220/200, it's kind of like a middle, and I could win both. I was thinking along the lines of betting a parlay with the Syracuse m/l with both the over AND under equally. $100 parlay pays 434.55. $80 parlay pays 347.64.

I usually can figure this out great, but I'm a little unsure right now. Kansas has burned me(along with many of you) in the past, but I do think they will win.

What do you think is the best way to go?

Thanks in advance.

Best of Luck,
Groz

trump tight

Forum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Hermosa Beach, CA
Kansas doesn't have to cover right? They just have to win. I wouldn't mess with a parlay. I'd play Syracuse. Take the points for 200. That way you can middle and win both, but you are ASSURED of a win. If Syracuse wins, then they obviously cover, and you've recovered your original bet in the pool, and profited another 100. If Kansas wins, then you win money as well (330 - right?) I see it as an insurance policy. You're in it to win money, and you have a way of assuring yourself of that.

maverick2112

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2001
Wyoming
I would just let it be. If you are going to put $100 in a pool then you would probably bet $100 on this game anyway. Kansas has already beaten better teams than Syracuse(Duke,Arizona and Marquette......only my opinion) Remember Syracuse almost lost to a shitty Auburn team after being up by 17..............LET IT RIDE)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
here here...let it ride.

Never agreed with the "hedge" theory (maybe for a wager that had little invested with a huge potential return but your scenario doesn't fit)

People are always asking me about hedging their 3 team parlays. My answer is what was the f-ing point of making a 3 team parlay if you were going to hedge if you got to 2-0????

S

S-Love

take Syacuse ML for 100 and guarantee yourself some profit- you're foolish not to hedge on a 'pool' prop

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Unicorn

Forum Member
Jan 19, 2001
Gahanna, OH USA
Hedge with either a ML play on Cuse or with the points. It's up to you how much you want to risk and who you want to root for....;)

ndlarryj

Forum Member
Jan 30, 2003
are you kidding?

take the points on 'cuse for half your potential winnings on KS and root for a middle!

either way you're up on the initial $100, with a chance for a nice double down if the game's close.

Last edited:

badjab

Forum Member
Oct 26, 2001
Los Angeles, CA USA
I'm in a similar situation. I put $50 on Kansas to win it all at the beginning of the tourney (@ 15-1). I'm thought about putting a third down on Syracuse with the moneyline, but ended up putting a little less than half on Cuse plus the points -- the opportunity to win both bets, being the determining factor.

That said, I probably should have just let it ride since I think the Jayhawks will roll and win by about a dozen.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Groz

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
New Jersey
Thanks for all of your replies. This is what I ended up doing. I put 165/150 on Syracuse +5.5. So I have a chance to win my pool part and the wager.

I was tempted by the 2-1 on Syracuse moneyline, but really do not think they will win the game. If Syracuse goes wire to wire, I'll be a little dissapointed, but will still make a profit.

If Kansas jumps out to a fairly big lead, I will play Syracuse on the interactive at WSEX, and get a better value on them then the 2-1 right now. If the game is close throughout, and Syracuse wins. I just tip my cap to them.

At least I could take a very small bit of solace through another bad year for my Scarlet Knights. Thinking that my good old Rutgers beat them once, and actually had a 13 point lead at the Carrier Dome in their second game with Orangeman in the season finale.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Groz

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
New Jersey
Thanks. I actually took Kansas in the second half to win 60 also. I give Kansas a lot of credit for their comeback.
Going 12-30 from the line and 4-20 from 3 pt. range and still almost pulling it out. McNamara was unreal in the first half. For a guy that is a 90% foul shooter, he didn't even touch the ball in the second half.

Best of Luck,
Groz

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg