why Bush is so certain of himself..because he's a

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

roc612

Forum Member
Oct 1, 2006
=
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. Bertrand Russel 1872-1970 British philosopher, historian

It is natural for man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts ... For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth, to know the worst, and to provide for it. Patrick Henry 1736-1799 American attorney, orator, revolutionary.

=
The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything. Except what is worth knowing. Journalism, conscious of this, and having tradesman-like habits, supplies their demands. Oscar Wilde 1854-1900 Irish novelist, playwright, poet, short story writer

=
The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out...without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable. H.L. Mencken 1880-1956 American journalist, satarist, social critic

roc612

Forum Member
Oct 1, 2006
GWB ,
falls into both categories- religious fanatic, war-monger Fanatic category and also the Fool category.The latter -That's the obvious one

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Terryray

Say Parlay
Forum Member
Most politicians are fools? I can't believe it! Tho they aren't the only ones out there...

John Maynard Keynes, on Bertrand Russell:

Bertie in particular sustained simultaneously a pair of opinions ludicrously incompatible. He held that in fact human affairs were carried on after a most irrational fashion, but that the remedy was quite simple and easy, since all we had to do was to carry them on rationally.

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
Roc: I like quotes, especially from bright people. I'm a big fan of Russell and Mencken, but mostly because they were very critical of religion.

Terry: Keynes was a genius but changed his position often, and I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind about Russell. They had a bit of a riff in religious philosophy, so I'm guessing that is where this quote is coming from. If you have the chance, I'd recommend you read Russell's "Why I Am Not a Christian". The guy was sharp as hell, and that book is only partially about religion....collection of essays on all sorts of subjects.

Terry (part 2) I think you'd really like the book Wittgenstein's Poker. It's about the ten minute argument between a couple of the twentieth century's greatest philosophers. Wittgenstein was a student of Russell and the two had an interesting relationship.

Last edited:

roc612

Forum Member
Oct 1, 2006
"The only limit to the oppression of government is the power with which the people show themselves capable of opposing it." -- Enrico Malatesta

=
"Place me not with those who are weak of mind and willingly give up the rights of others, for these poor ignorant souls know not that the rights they give up are their own!" -- Warren Friton
=
=
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by thegrace of God, I will do." -- Edward Everett Hale

===

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg