Why was there a pitching change yesterday in Atlanta?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Terryray

Say Parlay
Forum Member
Marquis scratched from start

August 9, 2002

HOUSTON (AP) -- Atlanta Braves pitcher Jason Marquis was scratched from his scheduled start against the Houston Astros on Friday night because of flulike symptoms. ADVERTISEMENT

Marquis didn't feel well Thursday night, but made the trip to Houston and took batting practice before Friday's game. The Braves still decided to hold him out and start left-hander Damian Moss in his place.

``My body had aches and chills,'' Marquis said. ``But those are completely gone now.''

Moss (7-4) made his 20th start of the season. His last start was Sunday.

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
t-ray always beats me to the punch

He said he began feeling sick Monday night in Arizona. Manager Bobby Cox didn't realize Marquis was ill until he sought to have him pinch-run in Tuesday's series opener and couldn't find him. He was told that Marquis had been sent back to the team hotel before the game by trainer Dave Pursley.

Marquis also returned to the hotel during Wednesday's game in order to get more rest. He said he hadn't been able to keep down solid foods for several days but felt better Friday afternoon in Houston.

"I was really weak and had aches and chills [in Arizona]," he said. "But those are completely gone now. I couldn't eat, but I've been drinking protein shakes to get some nutrition."

djchad

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2001
Melbourne, FL
Per this article in the Atlanta JC:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/sports/braves/0802/10marquis.html

"The right-hander was scratched from his scheduled start Friday against Houston with flu-like symptoms and a sore throat.

Damian Moss, who had been scheduled to start tonight against the Astros, instead filled in Friday for Marquis. Because the team had a day off Monday, Moss was working on his usual four days' rest.

Marquis is tentatively scheduled to start today, though the Braves weren't going to make a firm decision until after he was examined Friday night and perhaps not until they see how he feels this morning."

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Terryray

Say Parlay
Forum Member
Ailing Marquis misses start vs. Astros

By DAVID O'BRIEN
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Houston -- Atlanta's top-rated pitching staff is suddenly beset by injuries and illness, with Jason Marquis the latest to join the infirm.

The right-hander was scratched from his scheduled start Friday against Houston with flu-like symptoms and a sore throat.

Damian Moss, who had been scheduled to start tonight against the Astros, instead filled in Friday for Marquis. Because the team had a day off Monday, Moss was working on his usual four days' rest.

Marquis is tentatively scheduled to start today, though the Braves weren't going to make a firm decision until after he was examined Friday night and perhaps not until they see how he feels this morning.

He said he began feeling sick Monday night in Arizona. Manager Bobby Cox didn't realize Marquis was ill until he sought to have him pinch-run in Tuesday's series opener and couldn't find him. He was told that Marquis had been sent back to the team hotel before the game by trainer Dave Pursley.

Marquis also returned to the hotel during Wednesday's game in order to get more rest. He said he hadn't been able to keep down solid foods for several days but felt better Friday afternoon in Houston.

"I was really weak and had aches and chills [in Arizona]," he said. "But those are completely gone now. I couldn't eat, but I've been drinking protein shakes to get some nutrition."

It's been a rough week on the medical front for Atlanta pitchers. Greg Maddux left Wednesday's game after five innings with a strained muscle in his right side, which could cause his next start to be bumped to Aug. 17.

In the same game, a pulled groin forced left-hander Mike Remlinger out while he was facing his second batter. The All-Star reliever went on the 15-day disabled list and hopes to return before the end of the month.

With Remlinger out, Cox can't use the usual combination of Chris Hammond, Remlinger and John Smoltz in the last three innings, which has produced almost automatic success.

Right-hander Kevin Gryboski, who has been on the DL with elbow inflammation, was eligible to be activated Thursday but is at least one week from returning.

Gryboski said the swelling and soreness are gone, but he only began throwing again in Arizona and won't work off a mound until Sunday.

Once he's healthy, Gryboski, who has a 2.27 ERA in 42 appearances, might need a minor-league rehabilitation assignment to tune up before he's ready to rejoin the Braves.

The spate of health woes has not slowed the Braves, who took two of three against NL West-leading Arizona and were 8-2 with a 1.86 ERA in their past 10 games before Friday's opener against the surging Astros.