wichita st v. no. iowa

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

nighthorse

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2001
wichita, ks 67209
From the local fishwrap:

Wow -- WSU, UNI near top of MVC
Nobody expected the Shockers or Panthers to be this high in the Valley standings.
By Van Williams
The Wichita Eagle

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa -- Tonight's Wichita State-Northern Iowa game is a clash of conference Cinderellas.
Northern Iowa and Wichita State were preseason picks to finish last and next-to-last in the Missouri Valley Conference.

But when they meet tonight inside the UNI Dome, the Panthers and the Shockers will battle for fourth place.

Both could make a strong argument as the conference's most surprising team.

"We were picked overwhelmingly last, and we're in the middle," UNI's Greg McDermott said. "So I guess that would make us still a surprise."

"I think we're pretty darn surprising," WSU's Mark Turgeon said. "I mean, we're starting three freshmen. I think it's incredible what we're doing. I really do."

There's not much argument about which team caught the attention of MVC observers earlier.

Under a first-year coach, Northern Iowa raced out to an 8-2 start, the headliner a 78-76 win over then-No. 11 Iowa.

The Panther player turning heads was 5-foot-11 guard Robbie Sieverding, who torched the Hawkeyes for 30 points.

That performance was further proof that Sieverding had bounced back from the severe knee injury that sidelined him for all but the first game of the 2000-01 season.

There's been more proof. Though he's slowed down during a stretch in which the Panthers have gone 6-8, Sieverding has been the team's leading scorer in 12 of 22 games.

"There's no wasted energy or motion when he plays offense," McDermott said. "I compare him to a 40-year-old who plays in a recreational league. He's really smart. If you make a mistake, he'll make you pay."

Sieverding is a candidate for MVC Player of the Year. He's the league's top scorer at 17.4 points.

"We need him to shoot more shots, because it loosens everything up for our team," McDermott said. "A lot of what we do offensively goes through his hands."

Also touching the ball a lot is point guard Chris Foster, who's averaging 12.5 points and has recently picked up his scoring.

The 5-foot-10 redshirt freshman scored 28 against Bradley three games ago and dropped 25 in an 85-79 win against visiting Creighton on Jan. 5.

Then there's 6-2 shooting guard Erik Smith, who's the team's top defender and best three-point shooter, averaging 10.6 points.

"Great guards," Turgeon said. "Tough basketball team. You don't get to be where they are in the league without being tough."

Working inside is 6-6 forward David Gruber, whose 14.0 points give the Panthers a third scorer among the Valley's top 15. He leads the Valley with a 62.2 field-goal percentage.

UNI's weakness is a lack of depth, which may explain why the Panthers are slowing down.

"It's no secret that we don't have much bench," McDermott said. "The people we put on the floor are very important. We've got to have all five of those guys clicking."

McDermott is impressed with WSU's balance, depth and youth.

WSU, which starts three freshmen, boasts six players who average more than eight points a game, led by freshman guard Randy Burns' 11.9.

Six different players have led WSU in scoring.

"You've got to guard them because they can hurt you with so many people," McDermott said.

WSU's shortcoming is an ability to consistently win games on the road, especially in MVC play.

The Shockers are 1-5 this season in league road games and still aiming for that first big Valley road win in Turgeon's two seasons.

"We tend to ease up on the road and get selfish," WSU point guard C.C. McFall said. "We don't play team ball. Everyone tries to make a big play by themselves instead of doing what we do (at home)."

Turgeon believes his team is due a big victory in an opposing arena. And a win at UNI, with four league games remaining, would be huge.

A step closer to a Cinderella season.

"It's a big game," Turgeon said. "It's a big game for our program. We want to finish this thing strong."

[They've been saying that for years.......3-33 in their last 36 on the road in the Valley.

Here's another key stat working against WSU....
.UNI's turnover margin of +1.91 ranks second in the MVC. WSU's -0.79 is seventh.

This team plays out of control on the road, susceptible to turnovers. No. Iowa is just the opposite at home. Smart guard play led by Seiverding. Chris Foster's 1.64 steals a game is second in the MVC. Look for more slop from WSU.

Except for one fluky win over a depleted Indiana St. team a couple of weeks ago (a game where the team that made the last mistake lost), WSU has been manhandled, nowhere near covering spreads. Can't see why that should change.

I got it last night No. Iowa -5 ....I'd take it up to 9. GTLA

Last edited:

loophole

Forum Member
Jul 14, 1999
nc
it's the shockers with three freshmen starters that ices this play for me . hard to be a good road team in the confernece wars when you're playing that many freshmen, esprcially when your team has no real experience winnng thes road games, and also against a team with quality guards like n iowa. of course there are exceptions - my wolfpack is pulling it off this year but they keep one of their senior guards on the court just about all the time. wichita st does'nt have that luxury. this game a play for me also. nice writeup - gl tonight nighthorse.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

nighthorse

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2001
wichita, ks 67209
Shocks best road performance in conference this year by far. What cost them is what usually costs them on the road. They don't how to win yet. Had 20+ turnovers while UNI had under 10. Inexperienced guard play and UNI guard leadership turned this one around.

This is a good sign though....for next year. Until then, keep looking to take them at home, and against them on the road.

Last edited: