wild card week

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

cmamoulelis

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2005
falcons +1.5

seems as though all the good cappers on this site and other sites have taken the cards over the falcons, which makes me somewhat nervous about my pick.

the reasons i have seen that people are taking the cards are home dog (doesnt apply anymore because the cards are now a slight fave, warner with the playoff exp (that was 8 years ago and even with the greatest show on turf (rams) they didnt run up large scores in the playoffs, as i recall they put up 11 points in the championship game and 23 against the titans, the next year managed 17 against the pats...this was with warner in his prime, holt in his prime, faulk in his prime, martz when he was still considered a genius..

so the cards are at home with a "prolific offense", only prob is that warner is far past his prime and is a turnover machine, and they dont have a rb that could hold faulk's jock (edge too old and fumble prone, hightowner hit rookie wall). on top of that 2/3 of their wins and presumably their gaudy stats have come against 3 of the worst teams in football. they locked up the division early on which in my opinion is/was a detriment to them because they coasted the last 5 or 6 games of the season getting their ass kicked multiple times in the process. their "quality" wins are gainst the cowboys (non playofff team) bills (non playoff team) and dolphins (i doubt they could stay in a gm with teh dolphins at this point in the season).

they dont have the exp/talent/mindset to suddenly be able to "turn the switch" and ramp up to playoff intensity, they are not the spurs. as an example look at what happened to tb last year. they coasted at the end of the season and got killed by the nyg who were in jeopardy of even making hte playoffs and played out the entire season.

ryan is a rookie and that seems to scare people off, but its not on his shoulders, he's got a great running game to back him up. he's not required to drop back 35 times. ive seen the stats cited that say turner didnt run so well on the road and that cards defense was stout against the run, but again look at the competition. atl is playing teams like carolina and tb on the road and cards are playing teams like niners/hawks/rams. falcons have quality road wins in minn/sd (off top of my head) ..also atl played balls to the wall the entire season, they dont have to suddenly turn on the intensity like az must try to do.

i'll take a team (atl) that relies on a 5'10 240 pound rb over a team (az) that relies on a turnover prone qb who's old and padded stats vs rams/niners/hawks and lost 4 of last six games going into playoffs

other factors that prob dont influence game but make me feel better are az almost had a blackout for this game (wtf its a playoff gm?!!) and article i read in one of the papers about warner having a pool party and hardly anyone from team showing up,.. and domestic dispute larry fitzgerald had that showed up in papers recently

cmamoulelis

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2005
colts over chargers (i got it at colts -1)

this one is rather simple for me...lots of the good cappers on this board and others are on the colts (although sometmes this is the kiss of death!)

colts already beat the chargers on this field and they didnt have jeff saturday or bob sanders, it was a must win for sd and they still lost.

tomlinson and gates both hobbled for this game, and sd pass defense blows. i watched teh replay of the sd/colts playoff game froms last year on nfl network last night and colts would have destroyed them had marvin harrison not fumbled at the chargers 20 with the colts already up 7-0 at that point. momentum changed right there and chargers win.

chargers played thier superbowl last week..how can i back an 8-8 team over 12-4 team?? this spread should be colts -4 at least...i think odds makers putting too much emphasis on manning's history vs the bolts (the playoff loss and 3 int game earlier that same season)

like dolphins over ravens (i got it at +3.5) which i'll write up later

and leaning on vikes +3 over eagles but need to think it out a little more

Stiffler

Forum Member
Nov 30, 2008
I'm with you - I don't like going against the board but I'm going with my gut and the way you and I both see this game!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

cmamoulelis

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2005
adding under 51 for az/atl

think if atl wins (which i think they do) they score 24-27 points and keep the clock running with the run game. their defense is a bend not break type of D meaning any az scoring drives should take some time off clock as well

if az wins its cause of a meltdown of the atl offense, something like 35-10 or 34-16

cmamoulelis

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2005
my reasons for taking dolphins +3.5 over ravens

i didnt watch the 1st game, but i read the play by play online. this game was played about 2 months ago and both teams have improved since then, but take away the int for td that pennington threw and this game is a one score game. in the playoffs i think the rookie will make more mistakes than the vet.

i realize i had the opposite opinion about matt ryan vs kurt warner, but i would make the same bet again (there were a couple of instances where warner was holding the ball too long in teh pocket and came dangerously close to a fumble)

pennington as opposed to warner is known for his ball security and the dolphins were tied with the giants for the least amount of turnovers this year. its hard to beat the same team twice in one year and i think miami gets their revenge....or at least stays within the number

as for the vikes/eagles game, i'm not going to play the vikings yet....still thinking about it, i'm trying to see if i wantto bet the vikes because i want the giants to play the cardinals, or because i really think the vikes can win (i'm a nyg fan)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg