Will Mark Ingram really win the heisman?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

jhawksoon

Forum Member
May 1, 2005
The Heartland
I think it's a travesty if he does. First of all he is not even the best player in the country at his position. Toby Gerhart leads in just about every rushing category. Secondly, in 2005 the knock on Adrian Peterson was that he was a Sophomore. I know Tebow ended that stigma, but it was still brought into discussion. Thirdly, one of the main reasons that Ingram is being discussed is that the media machine pushed him with all their might to give him the hardware on Saturday. Their job is to get people to tune in and stay tuned in. What better way than to get viewers to believe they are watching the future heisman winner. Ingram had a great run on a screen pass but other than that his numbers were a product of Alabama trying everything they could to help win him the heisman. 28 carries is a pretty big load for only 4 yds a carry when he usually avgs. 6 yds a carry, so it was meager for even Ingram's standards. My point is that people are saying that after Saturday's performance Ingram is the front runner, well I didn't think he had an outstanding performance. Voters put too much weight in the last game played and if the player plays for the best team. If this was ever the year for a defensive player to win it, Suh would be a shoe in. After that Gerhart would be my winner. Think of this, what if Ingram and Gerhart were to switch teams. Who would everyone by hyping then? Just my opinion.

jhawksoon

Forum Member
May 1, 2005
The Heartland
I thought the heisman was supposed to go to the best player in college footbal for that year? And how could you give it to a player that just about lost their last game single handedly. McCoy not paying attention to the play clock is inexcusable. That had the potential to go down in the record books with Buckner's flop. A heisman winner doesn't make that big of a bone headed play.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Theboundbook

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, Utah
I think it's a travesty if he does. First of all he is not even the best player in the country at his position. Toby Gerhart leads in just about every rushing category. Secondly, in 2005 the knock on Adrian Peterson was that he was a Sophomore. I know Tebow ended that stigma, but it was still brought into discussion. Thirdly, one of the main reasons that Ingram is being discussed is that the media machine pushed him with all their might to give him the hardware on Saturday. Their job is to get people to tune in and stay tuned in. What better way than to get viewers to believe they are watching the future heisman winner. Ingram had a great run on a screen pass but other than that his numbers were a product of Alabama trying everything they could to help win him the heisman. 28 carries is a pretty big load for only 4 yds a carry when he usually avgs. 6 yds a carry, so it was meager for even Ingram's standards. My point is that people are saying that after Saturday's performance Ingram is the front runner, well I didn't think he had an outstanding performance. Voters put too much weight in the last game played and if the player plays for the best team. If this was ever the year for a defensive player to win it, Suh would be a shoe in. After that Gerhart would be my winner. Think of this, what if Ingram and Gerhart were to switch teams. Who would everyone by hyping then? Just my opinion.

I agree. That was a big game for him against FLA that got the ;HUGE BUZZ' going about him this week and how he's locked it up... FLA SUCKED as much as ALA played an almost FLAWLESS GAME... It was sad that FLA didnt play better because in a way, I think it took away from how well ALA played and even more, HOW WELL THAT OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR CALLED THOSE PLAYS ALL GAME!!!!!

One game though shouldnt automatically lock it up....

Trampled Underfoot

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
Gerhart should win it but he won't. Suh is the best player in College Football.

1 Gerhart
2 Ingram
3 Spiller
4 McCoy

Mr. Poon

Sugar?
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2006
Colorado
Gerhart should win it but he won't. Suh is the best player in College Football.

1 Gerhart
2 Ingram
3 Spiller
4 McCoy

I'm biased but Suh was the best and most dominant player in the country.

Otherwise Gerhart and Spiller are being slighted by most media outlets. McCoy and Ingram get the overwhelming pub due to their teams being undefeated. People will say neither Texas nor Bama would be where they are withouth those 2 individuals. That argument is even more true for Stanford and Clemson though. If I was a Hesman voter, I would have Suh, Gerhart and Spiller as my top 3 but not sure of the order.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Trampled Underfoot

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
I'm biased but Suh was the best and most dominant player in the country.

Otherwise Gerhart and Spiller are being slighted but most media outlets. McCoy and Ingram get the overwhelming pub due to their teams being undefeated. People will say neither Texas nor Bama would be where they are withouth those 2 individuals. That argument is even more true for Stanford and Spiller though. If I was a Hesman voter, I would have Suh, Gerhart and Spiller as my top 3 but not sure of the order.

I have Gerhart as a clear winner. Ingram and Spiller are really close in my eyes. I could swap them and be okay. After that it really falls off.

I agree with you in regards to Suh. He is amazing. I'm curious to see how he does in the voting.

Mr. Poon

Sugar?
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2006
Colorado
I agree with you in regards to Suh. He is amazing. I'm curious to see how he does in the voting.

Suh is actually getting more consideration than I thought. Check out stiffarmtrophy.com - very early in the "return process" but Suh is getting some first place votes rolling in.

Trampled Underfoot

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
Suh is actually getting more consideration than I thought. Check out stiffarmtrophy.com - very early in the "return process" but Suh is getting some first place votes rolling in.

Wow. That is crazy. I have to dig up some Heisman lines. I won a ton with Palmer due to a site that was calculating early returns.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Hornsfan

Forum Member
Jan 17, 2002
I like Cie Grant's idea.

Spillar was not invited. Ingram, McCoy, Tebow, Gerhart and Suh invited to NY.

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
McCoy, Tebow among five Heisman finalists

McCoy, Tebow among five Heisman finalists

<CITE class=vcard>By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP College Football Writer Ralph D. Russo, Ap College Football Writer </CITE>? <ABBR class=recenttimedate title=2009-12-07T15:42:58-0800>20 mins ago</ABBR>
<ABBR class=recenttimedate title=2009-12-07T15:42:58-0800></ABBR>
<ABBR class=recenttimedate title=2009-12-07T15:42:58-0800></ABBR>
<!-- end .byline -->NEW YORK ?

Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy are headed back to the Heisman Trophy presentation as finalists, along with running backs Mark Ingram and Toby Gerhart and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

The five finalists were announced Monday. The Heisman Trophy will be awarded Saturday in Manhattan.

The last time as many as five players were invited to the ceremony was 2004, when USC quarterback Matt Leinart won the award.
Tebow is trying to become the second two-time Heisman winner. The Florida quarterback won the award for college football's top player in 2007 and finished third last season.

McCoy was the runner-up last season to Oklahoma's Sam Bradford and has led No. 2 Texas to the BCS national championship game this season.

Ingram has rushed for 1,542 yards and scored 15 touchdowns for No. 1 Alabama.
Stanford's Gerhart, meanwhile, has run for more yards (1,736) than any player in the nation.

And Nebraska's Suh had 4 1/2 sacks in an attention-grabbing performance against Texas in the Big 12 title game.
Tebow and McCoy entered this season as heavy favorites to contend for the Heisman Trophy again, but neither has played as well as last year and neither will go into Saturday's presentation as the clear favorite.
Still, just by being one of the five finalists, Tebow makes Heisman history and joins some elite company.

The first player to win the Heisman as a sophomore, Tebow now becomes the first player to be invited to the presentation ceremony three times since it began being televised in 1981.
He's also the first player ? and sixth overall ? to finish in the top five of the Heisman balloting three times since Herschel Walker did it in the early 1980s.
Tebow returned for his senior season to try and lead the Gators to a third national title in four seasons, but he won't reach that goal. After being No. 1 almost all season, Florida lost to Alabama 32-13 in the Southeastern Conference title game on Saturday and was knocked out of the national championship race.
The loss likely damaged Tebow's chances at a second Heisman, too. He has passed for 2,413 yards and rushed for 859 yards, but he hasn't been quite as productive as he was the past two seasons.

Like Tebow, McCoy also returned for his senior season to make a championship run. He has Texas a victory away from its first national title since 2005, but his numbers also have fallen off this season.
McCoy has passed for 3,512 yards with 27 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He also nearly threw away the Longhorns' national championship hopes on the second-to-last play of the Nebraska game, coming within a second of letting the clock run out before the Longhorns could attempt the winning field goal.

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
if the award is given to the BEST player in 2009....there should be no doubt who the winner is...

toby gerhardt

that said.....he's from the west coast and didnt receive anywhere near the hype that ingram, mccoy, tebow did.

tebow for the heisman this year is a joke.
mccoy for the heisman this year, not even the best qb in his own state (that would be the kid from houston)
the kid from nebraska.....good player....better be real special and hyped over the top to win it as a defensive player
ingram.....good story, good player on one of best teams, got a lot of hype end of season....but he's not even the best running back in cfb this year (and might not even be the 2nd best)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mr. Poon

Sugar?
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2006
Colorado
The articles Old School posted shows why Suh has an uphill battle to win this. Every other finalist has some form of their season stats listed. Suh has a portion of his stats from the Big XII championship game. It's like it is an afterthought and he only got there because he performed well in that one game on national TV. I'm sure for many media members across the country, it may have been their first look in depth at Suh. It is becoming obvious that the people that are voting for him are the ones that have seen him play at least a handful of times. Anyone that has, knows how great of a player he truly is.

Alright I'll get off the soap box (for now). That site I previously posted has a bit more updated projection with Gerhart opening a bit of a lead on Suh and Ingram.

Tebow getting invited to NY as a finalist is upsetting the more I think about it. If he hadn't won previously and been a finalist last year, he would never have been invited. It is becoming clear that he is well below the two RB's, Suh and McCoy.

Last edited:

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
Toby should win it, but the Heisman is a sham anymore. too much bias and politics for me

A guy like jacquizz rodgers doesnt even get a mention but is the backbone for an oregon state team 5 pts away from a rose bowl...

Quizz Rodgers

255 att 1377 yds 20 tds
74 rec 509 yds 1 td
1/1 14 yd td pass

the guy averaged 158 yards a game and 22 total tds and not even a sniff