Wow, Rose bet against the Reds...

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
Yeah, and that guy's full of crap too. No way he bet against the team he was managing. Can't be proven, and I'll never believe it. Some Eddie Haskell saying he did doesn't make it so. I just hope this is overturned before Rose gets old and dies. Would hate to see a posthumous induction into the Hall.

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
There does seem to be a lot of speculation and "a guy who was near the meeting overheard someone who talked to Selig" type references in that. I don't much buy it myself.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Valuist

Forum Member
Aug 21, 2001
Mt. Prospect, IL
I don't know if the allegations can be completely dismissed, either. There was some specific rhetoric, including never betting on the Reds when two particular starters were going. You can't believe everything you hear and rumors aren't always true but often, where there's smoke there's fire. I hope the allegations aren't true but I wouldn't be totally shocked if they were.

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
He was one dumb nut. But I can not believe that dumb. Now he has payed dearly for his screw up. He does belong in the Hall.
If he can just come off that high horse and get a little sobering. I think they will give him the chance.

ferdville

Forum Member
Dec 24, 1999
So Cal
Jim Rome was on his soapbox again today and making no sense as usual when it comes to anything close to gambling. He said something to the effect that if he (Rose) did indeed bet ON the Reds, in games he DIDN'T bet, it would be safe to assume he was going the OTHER way! Then he talked about the manager's ability to fix games, including a remark about knowing when your team would lose by one run. Nothing Rose might have done would surprise me, but if he intentionally set out to manage the Reds into a losing situation, wouldn't someone have noticed it then? Or dug it out after the fact? How could he do it without manipulating pitchers in a very obvious way.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
W

wondo

I don't know what my opinion is on Rose getting into baseball again. I might like an admission of betting, but I'm not sure.

In anycase, it's just as bad for a manager to bet on his team as it is to bet against his team. It changes the way you manage and you have a good chance to play to win a single game rather than look at the bigger picture. It's pretty inappropriate to bet on the team you manage, for or against.

Valuist

Forum Member
Aug 21, 2001
Mt. Prospect, IL
Wondo is right. But realistically, if Rose never bet on baseball, like he insists, why did he accept the ban from baseball? Obviously there was information that he didn't want to come out.