Yale-Brown game postponed

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
until Saturday at 7PM due to a terrible auto accident reportedly involving several Yale students.

Three students dead, at least five others injured in car wreck
Two students in critical condition at area hospitals

At least three Yale students were killed early Friday, and several more were seriously injured, when their sports utility vehicle collided with a tractor-trailer on Interstate 95.

The Yale Daily News was unable to confirm the names of the deceased early this morning, but several sources reported that the victims were students at Yale.

Officials at hospitals in the Bridgeport area confirmed that at least five other students had been admitted for treatment.

Eric Wenzel '03 was in critical condition this morning at Bridgeport Hospital, and doctors there were also evaluating Zachery Bradley '05, a hospital official said.

Cameron Fine '06 was under observation at St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport, and doctors there also were operating on Nicholas Grass '05. Brett Smith '06 had been admitted to Norwalk Hospital's intensive care unit.

The accident, which involved four vehicles, occured near Exit 24 at the Bridgeport-Fairfield town line shortly after 5 a.m., police said.

A tractor-trailer rig heading north lost control and partially crossed the concrete barrier that separates the two sides of the highway, Sgt. J. Paul Vance, a state police spokesman, told the Associated Press.

Vance said at that point a car, and another tractor-trailer heading south came into contact with the first truck, then a sport utility vehicle carrying the Yale students smashed into the rear of the first tractor-trailer rig.

Three students were pronounced dead at the scene and the others were taken to hospitals in the area for treatment of serious injuries.

Yale has altered tonight's athletics schedule because of the accident, an Athletics Department official said. Tonight's basketball game has been postponed until tomorrow and the swimming meet has been cancelled.

In the hours before the fatal accident, state police said there had been a number of other accidents reported on I-95 in Norwalk, New Haven and Westport when there was snow on the highway.

There was also a car rollover reported northbound about 4 a.m. in the area where the fatal accident occurred an hour later.

Radio station WICC-AM of Bridgeport reported that a tractor-trailer rig carrying generators crashed and one of the generators became airborne and crushed the SUV.

Last edited:

bear

Forum Member
Jan 17, 2000
Fairfield, CT., USA
Superbook,
This one hurts .........It was ...and is Tragic!!
I only live a mile away and My youngest son had to drive that same road on his way back to school. I can't imagine how devastated these kid's families are.
I 95 in Fairfield County has to be the most dangerous drive in the country..........Construction ....Jersey barriers.......no breakdown room..... AND the road is FILLED with f-----g MANIACS.
A trucker was killed about a week ago not more than a mile up the road from this one...

Just a little warning to anyone having to drive I 95 through CT or on the way to "Foxwoods" This is a bad road!!!!

bear

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Bear --

Yeah, that really sucks.

I always avoid 95, we go up to CT every weekend and we always take the Merritt to avoid all of those trucks. The Merritt's not perfect either but it seems a little safer.

- Jon

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Double Dribble

Forum Member
Jan 19, 2002
Austin, Texas
Superbook

Superbook

I just saw it on ESPN 2. I was unaware of what happened in regards to the cancellation of the game. What a tragic thing to occur.

Last edited: