Your computer will be at risk if...

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Stuman

Banned
Forum Member
Nov 5, 2002
Memphrica, Tennessee
...you don't have a firewall. Thanks to a new vulnerability in the workstation service for Windows 2000 and Windows XP, your computer could be at risk if you are exposed directly to the internet. The exploit can allegedly be "easily modified" to encompass other Windows versions as well. While no viruses have yet been reported that expoit the vulnerability, it is almost a guarenteed certainty that they will surface eventually. Here is a good article on this vulnerabilty:
Article

If you have Windows XP, there is a built-in firewall that can be enabled to provide protection. I highly recommend using it at all times. To enable the built-in firewall, click here for a quick tutorial.

All other Windows versions must provide their own firewall. Many internet service providers are now giving their cusomters broadband modems that have a firewall built in. If your IP address is of the form 192.168.x.x, then you are behind a firewall.

Keeping your computer up to date by using "Windows Update" is also a good idea to prevent most vulnerabilities.

Good Luck!

Stuman

Last edited:

loungelizard

Forum Member
Nov 3, 1999
Lebanon Missouri
use the xp firewall, but as stuman says make sure you routinely update windows, matter of fact you probably ought to configure windows to update itself.

Good Luck,
LL

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Stuman

Banned
Forum Member
Nov 5, 2002
Memphrica, Tennessee
I recommend a Linksys or Netgear Cable/DSL router. Both of these are for broadband. If you are on dialup you will have to buy a software firewall. I recommend symantec's firewall in that scenario. I tend to shy away from the "free" firewall downloads. (Black Ice) You get what you pay for, and sometimes more! (spyware)

linksys.com
netgear.com

Hope that helps. I can shoot you some part numbers if you like...

Stuman

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg